The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2006
    Location
    Saco, Maine
    Posts
    4,729

    Default Fair Hill

    Hey Kids-
    Does anyone have an idea as to whether the April Fair Hill is a good move-up-to-Training event? As usual, the Omnibus says, "Average for horses with some experience".
    Thanks....
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2007
    Location
    too far from the barn
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    April Fair Hill has varied a bit from year to year. Unlike other Fair Hills, SJ is usually down in the dirt rings, so don't have to worry about the footing. However, I think they use the bank at training, which is pretty tough and the water has been variable in the past several years. I don't trust the weather and don't really like shows held over three days, so I usually volunteer.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 27, 2001
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,735

    Default

    I haven't been to Fair Hill in 2 years or so...but I don't think I ever ran a course there that I would have loved as a moveup...They can use the bank which is big and looky (in a grove of trees-- can include a turning question, jump down, turn to jump nestled in trees), there is a mound jump (which rides great, but is worth knowing about), the half coffin can be quite large, and sometimes the water is tough...

    I think of them as real "on the level" Trainings. I can't say that I've done the April one for sure, though, so not sure how helpful this is!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

    His new little brother



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    13,080

    Default

    I guess it depends on what you mean by a move up course....

    I would not hesitate to move up most horses there as I find their xc course a good one for galloping and building confidence. But it will be a legit training level....not a beefy novice.

    There can be a significant drop into water...multiple steps down or up...an Irish bank...a log on a mound...and some turning and/or accuracy questions. But nothing that isn't a training level question.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  5. #5
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2007
    Posts
    244

    Default Not to hijack..

    But anyone have info on using Fair Hill May event as move up to Prelim? I do like the course and know it's got lots of gallop, but any info would be good, thanks..



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Hey Kids-
    Does anyone have an idea as to whether the April Fair Hill is a good move-up-to-Training event? As usual, the Omnibus says, "Average for horses with some experience".
    Thanks....
    Oh Pol please come to the starter trial in May!! I know you guys are beyond that but I am competing!!!!!! I will need tons of people to cheer me on. I'm just hoping I fit in! Obviously we won't be going any faster than a nice rhythmic canter on x-country so the wind doesn't mess up my hunter hair
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2008
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    Oh Pol please come to the starter trial in May!! I know you guys are beyond that but I am competing!!!!!! I will need tons of people to cheer me on. I'm just hoping I fit in! Obviously we won't be going any faster than a nice rhythmic canter on x-country so the wind doesn't mess up my hunter hair
    Me me me!! It will be my second event ever and I'm dragging along a good friend, too-- it will be her first. I did the starter trial at Fair Hill last September and had a BLAST!!
    *friend of bar.ka

    "Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2006
    Location
    Saco, Maine
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    Oh Pol please come to the starter trial in May!! I know you guys are beyond that but I am competing!!!!!! I will need tons of people to cheer me on. I'm just hoping I fit in! Obviously we won't be going any faster than a nice rhythmic canter on x-country so the wind doesn't mess up my hunter hair
    Oh Steph!! We can't do the starter, we're heading home from Aiken, timed to do the Horse Trials on the way. As for the hair, you can go much faster on XC if you wear 2 hair nets!!! Remember to take off the standing martingale and you'll be just fine!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2008
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Fair Hill courses are true for the levels. But, if you have schooled and are confident at training level questions (as another poster mentioned) the course will roll along nicely! They do flow very well, you can actually get up to speed and stay there! Only at maybe one or two combinations will you have to jump-turn-jump-go-turn-jump kind of stuff. I would have to say it is one of the last of its kind.... the good old galloping, forward, asks tough questions, but confident building courses out there.

    I have always come off their courses feeling really good about the courses. My horses are always feeling very confident on them as well.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2003
    Location
    Northeast MA
    Posts
    4,074

    Default

    Pol, dare I hope that you are aiming for a certain competition in August?

    And congrats on your pony's great successes!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2006
    Location
    Saco, Maine
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    Pol, dare I hope that you are aiming for a certain competition in August?

    And congrats on your pony's great successes!
    If only I could stop FALLING OFF..............
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 1999
    Location
    Dela...where?
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Oh Steph!! We can't do the starter, we're heading home from Aiken, timed to do the Horse Trials on the way. As for the hair, you can go much faster on XC if you wear 2 hair nets!!! Remember to take off the standing martingale and you'll be just fine!
    Do you know what day you will be competing? I would be happy to drive up for the day and play groom!!! I'll be riding a sale horse for a friend who is actually and eventer and will be packing my butt around. It's been YEARS since I've done an event so Emstah is going to give me some fashion advice. Oh and don't worry, I ALWAYS double up on hairnets! How else do you think I can achieve perfect hunter hair!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    13,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guyot View Post
    But anyone have info on using Fair Hill May event as move up to Prelim? I do like the course and know it's got lots of gallop, but any info would be good, thanks..

    Can't give you too much insight...but thinking I might move one of mine up at that event as well...so if you do, you may not be the only one I last did it in 2007...straight forward but a true prelim. Coffin with narrows but it rode well. There is a BIG trakenher (sp?) that they can use. Usually one or two bank questions...often with a turning question or portable jump incorporated with it. Water is usually a jump one or two strides to a decent bank in....but the water changes a lot from event to event.

    basically...a true to the level Prelim but it often rides really well because you can get a good flow with your gallop.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Can't give you too much insight...but thinking I might move one of mine up at that event as well...so if you do, you may not be the only one I last did it in 2007...straight forward but a true prelim. Coffin with narrows but it rode well. There is a BIG trakenher (sp?) that they can use. Usually one or two bank questions...often with a turning question or portable jump incorporated with it. Water is usually a jump one or two strides to a decent bank in....but the water changes a lot from event to event.

    basically...a true to the level Prelim but it often rides really well because you can get a good flow with your gallop.
    Soooo, bfne, speak to me of this "Big Trakehner". I am thinking of doing the August FH with HRH, IF she continues to come along this year. (She is sound, back to work, doing some competitions and schoolings--but Prelim is still a ways away. She may have no issues as I start jumping bigger stuff--she feels great!--but that remains to be seen.)

    I would love to get more details about the P course there, and I plan to try to get up there and do a schooling day at some point. TIA!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    13,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Soooo, bfne, speak to me of this "Big Trakehner". I am thinking of doing the August FH with HRH, IF she continues to come along this year. (She is sound, back to work, doing some competitions and schoolings--but Prelim is still a ways away. She may have no issues as I start jumping bigger stuff--she feels great!--but that remains to be seen.)

    I would love to get more details about the P course there, and I plan to try to get up there and do a schooling day at some point. TIA!

    I think it is a little harder in some ways then the one at Morven that you and I schooled last spring (on the CCI* course). The one at Morven has a level approach and is framed by the trees (jumping from one field into the next). The newer one at Fair Hill that I'm thinking about is out in the middle of the field....last year in April they came at it going down a hill (although it levels out before the jump). It isn't an unfair huge thing...it is still a Prelim fence with in the Prelim specs....but it made me glad Boyd was jumping my mare over it instead of me (even though I schooled her over the one at Morven!).


    On the horse I'm about to move up....he could easily trot it so as long as *I* remember to ride the horse that I'm sitting on and let him do his job...it should be fine.

    It isn't always on the course. I don't know if it was on the May course last year but it was on the April course.

    Here is a picture of Boyd jumping it with my mare...the one you saw me schooling at Morven on. She did say no once but then jumped it well...she's a bit of a tricky ride. Someone without Trakenher issues will have no issue with the fence.

    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...43&po=43&pc=88
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 26, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2002
    Location
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Posts
    5,722

    Default

    Thanks, bfne!

    That actually looks more welcoming that the one at Morven (less like a "big dark hole" ), though it IS a big honking thing! Nice wide face, though. (asterix should weigh in on whether IHO it's more or less intimidating-looking than the one at Oatlands...)

    Any other insights about the P course? (sorry to hijack the thread, RiverBendPol!) Any ditch and walls on it? Any narrow V skinnies with layered brush? These are the only other things Her Majesty has ever peeked at; she is generally *very* good with technical questions and water, ditches, banks, steps, etc., and is nifty with the skinnies.

    Any big square tables?
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

    "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    13,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Any other insights about the P course? (sorry to hijack the thread, RiverBendPol!) Any ditch and walls on it? Any narrow V skinnies with layered brush? These are the only other things Her Majesty has ever peeked at; she is generally *very* good with technical questions and water, ditches, banks, steps, etc., and is nifty with the skinnies.

    Any big square tables?

    Funny...I always think they jump jumps easier that are in tree lines.....less likely to run out


    There is a ditch and brush fence that they can use sometimes....it rides well. There are few different bank type jumps including a double step jump that can be jumped up or down often with a portable or log added. There is a log on a mound jump....also an Irish bank with a pretty decent ditch (can jump it either way) and a log on top. Several tables. I think the prelim coffin has one of the arrow head jumps you are talking about....but don't really remember...that could have been the intermediate one. The Prelim coffin there does ride really well.

    Basically...what I'm saying is the courses at Fair Hill are extremely flexible (especially at Prelim and below). There are many various tracks they can lay out...with lots of different options. It is why that event is a favorite for many...you are not just jumping the same course over and over with minor variations. It also is why that is a great place to school xc when it is open for schooling.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    13,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Can't give you too much insight...but thinking I might move one of mine up at that event as well...so if you do, you may not be the only one I last did it in 2007...straight forward but a true prelim. Coffin with narrows but it rode well. There is a BIG trakenher (sp?) that they can use. Usually one or two bank questions...often with a turning question or portable jump incorporated with it. Water is usually a jump one or two strides to a decent bank in....but the water changes a lot from event to event.

    basically...a true to the level Prelim but it often rides really well because you can get a good flow with your gallop.
    Ahhh, I was actually thinking about it today for Vernon and I. It's either that or Waredaca, if anything.



Similar Threads

  1. Fair Hill
    By NCRider in forum Eventing
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: Oct. 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
  2. Fair Hill
    By Heliodoro in forum Eventing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
  3. Fair Hill =]
    By Zoomd in forum Eventing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr. 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
  4. Fair Hill. Who's going?
    By Jazzy Lady in forum Eventing
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: Oct. 15, 2009, 08:42 AM
  5. TPR, Inc. will be at Fair Hill
    By LeightonFarm in forum Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2009, 06:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness