The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Intermittent Ulcerguard

So, my horse went through 30 days of Ulcergard, 1 tube a day.
    I think he improved.
    Now I want to give him some on "stressful" days.

How long before say trailering would you give the UG?
    How long can you expect the effect to last?

We went on a trail ride today and I dosed with 1/2 tube before loading him in the trailer. Unfortunately, it was about 2 hours before we finally hit the trail.

He was perfect for the first 45 minutes or so of the ride and then for no reason that my friends and I could ascertain, he started jigging and bucking. It was definitely worse at the trot. It was bad enough that my trainer finally switched horses with me and rode his antics out. Usually they get more tired and docile as you go, no? He was not spooking at anything and we were not being left behind. So the only thing I could think of is that the UG wore off and his belly hurt??

Ulcergard should last for most of the day, that's why it's so much easier to use than Ranitidine, which needs to be dosed every 8 hrs.

I know for maintenance (preventative) you're supposed to give 1/4 tube before, during and after a "stressful" event [sometimes I feel like this is every day of my horse's life according to him..]. That meaning you should give 1/4 tube/day for a day or two before your event, 1/4 tube the day of, and 1/4 tube/day for a day or two after.

Maybe he was just happy it was spring and he was out on the trail. Horses have moods just like people. You don't get the same horse every day and I change in mood does not necessarily mean there is pain. I am not a vet, just suggesting that a little freshness is NORMAL for horses, and some do get worked up as they go along. What did your trainer think?

My horse was diagnosed with Grade 2 ulcers and was on a full tube of Gastrogard for one month and then a step down dose for another month. We just finished that and I will keep him on 1/4 dose daily until May. Then, 1/2 tube before lessons, shipping and showing, and if we are away (not local), he will go on 1/4 tube until we get home. His second scope was completely clear (after 2 mo.), and this is the protocol that the vet feels is best for him. I am sticking with it because he was so miserable before because he was in pain. I can't go through that again.

The first part of the ride we had some "wohoo its spring" from all the horses. A little break into a canter up a hill, a little racing at the trot, etc. But all very manageable. It was very sudden the way he went from hacking around to UPSET. My trainer was on the horse behind us and she thought he was kicking at her at first - very unlike him. But then it became clear that he was just UNHAPPY about something. Shaking his head, kicking out, throwing a buck, ears pinned.

My trainer did not know why either. But she got on him and made him move forward and disciplined him for his bad behavior.

Well, I guess it sounds like the UG should have still been working. So we can probably rule that out.

My trainer didn't think my saddle looked too bad on him but maybe it is time to get that checked.

I hate inconsistency - it makes me afraid to trust him. I almost wish he was just bad the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley0522 View Post
    Ulcergard should last for most of the day, that's why it's so much easier to use than Ranitidine, which needs to be dosed every 8 hrs.

I know for maintenance (preventative) you're supposed to give 1/4 tube before, during and after a "stressful" event [sometimes I feel like this is every day of my horse's life according to him..]. That meaning you should give 1/4 tube/day for a day or two before your event, 1/4 tube the day of, and 1/4 tube/day for a day or two after.
    LOL - since I typically trailer out Mondays and Saturdays, he'd basically be on it every day. Vet prescribed Cimetidine but I don't think it is having any effect on him.

A dose of Omeprazole suppresses acid production for 24 hours. So there should be no worry about it "wearing off" 2 or 3 hours into a ride.

But - I found with my ulcer horse that I have to give the night BEFORE I trailer somewhere. It took me a while to figure that out, and I would get SO frustrated that the omeprazole "wasn't working." She'd be nervous and act upset and spooky until I finally figured out that if I give it 12 hours before the stressful event, she would be perfect.

I take omeprazole myself and if I wait until I have heartburn and pain to take a pill - it won't have any effect on the discomfort for at least 4-6 or even 8 hours!!

So give it the night before you're planning to go somewhere - not right before going in the trailer.

The drug has to have time to get through the stomach, and be absorbed into the blood stream through the intestinal wall. You're not buffering acid with an antacid - you're telling the brain to shut down acid producing proton pumps. Antacids do wear off in 2-3 hours, but omeprazole works completely different. I don't know how long it takes the contents of the stomach to empty, but it can be several hours. So that means that the drug wouldn't even be in the horse's blood stream until well after your trailering and ride are already over and the horse is back in his stall.

Give that a try and see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    A dose of Omeprazole suppresses acid production for 24 hours. So there should be no worry about it "wearing off" 2 or 3 hours into a ride.

But - I found with my ulcer horse that I have to give the night BEFORE I trailer somewhere.

I take omeprazole myself and if I wait until I have heartburn and pain to take a pill - it won't have any effect on the discomfort for at least 4-6 or even 8 hours!!

So give it the night before you're planning to go somewhere - not right before going in the trailer.

The drug has to have time to get through the stomach, and be absorbed into the blood stream through the intestinal wall. You're not buffering acid with an antacid - you're telling the brain to shut down acid producing proton pumps. Antacids do wear off in 2-3 hours, but omeprazole works completely different. I don't know how long it takes the contents of the stomach to empty, but it can be several hours. So that means that the drug wouldn't even be in the horse's blood stream until well after your trailering and ride are already over and the horse is back in his stall.

Oh SNAP - that was $15 down the drain then!
    Actually, I have a lesson tonight so yesterday's dose will hopefully equal a good lesson tonight.

LOL, there you go!

But - I found with my ulcer horse that I have to give the night BEFORE I trailer somewhere. It took me a while to figure that out, and I would get SO frustrated that the omeprazole "wasn't working." She'd be nervous and act upset and spooky until I finally figured out that if I give it 12 hours before the stressful event, she would be perfect.

This. Good post.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

The vets I've talked with reco starting daily doses of UlcerGard 3 days before shipping, and continuing daily doses for as long as the horse is under stress -- Consider that it can take 72 hours for food to be processed through the digestive tract -- So, the idea is to time the UlcerGard doses so that the entire digestive tract is protected --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

I don't know how long it takes the contents of the stomach to empty,
    The contents of the equine stomach empty quickly ... in about 15 minutes -- This article explains the entire equine digestive process which can take 72 hours http://www.thehorse.com/pdf/anatomy/anatomy10.pdf --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Well, there must be more to it than that because when you have a horse scoped, they can't have anything to eat for 12 hours to ensure that the stomach is empty. And even after 12 hours, my horse still had feed in her stomach.

I would use this surrounding stressful scenarios. It works great on ulcers and is a great preventative.
    http://www.farmvet.com/p-912-u-gardsolution.aspx

This and I too have an ulcer. . . I give my girl U7 every day as per the vet, I give Tums for stressful stuff and 1/2 tube of ulcergard the night before trailering. I gave her 1 tube for the trip home form SC (8hours) and 1/4 tube after getting home for 4 days.

It's not necessarily the event that causes problems, but a few days after the gastric jucies have had a chance to eat away at the lining. I typically feel poorly a few days after I have stress. And also, don't let your horse give YOU an ulcer. With time, you'll figure it all out.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

We do a half dose the day before, the day of and the day after for those we are concerned about. So much easier to prevent an ulcer than treat one..

I also have alfalfa for those horses to munch on in a hay net, I am quite sure that probably is equally helpful.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.