The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default building farm websites for dummies?

Apparantly it is time for me to succumb to the internet advertising, much to my dismay. I love browsing, but the thought of trying to design a website is like asking me to learn Chinese. In this economy I definitely don't have the extra cash to have someone else do it, so I thought I would see if any cothers have advice. Which do-it-yourself sites and templates might be worth a try? What about the free domains?

If anyone has a website they have created themselves can you please post?

Thanks!
    Last edited by trail blazer; Mar. 24, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

I haven't used it myself but wix.com is meant to be very good. (You might want to edit your post to make it more HR so you get some more suggestions!!)

If you just want a simple site you many of the hosting companies make it pretty simple. I've used GoDaddy.com for a few simple sites.

A couple of times I've built basic sites using blogging software (Wordpress) because there is so much functionality and it's all basically free.

Here's one I built for our hunt club: www.oldnorthbridgehounds.org

Here's another one for a business I'm involved with: www.youtubebestpractices.com.
    Last edited by Bogie; Mar. 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Weebly.com is pretty easy and you can start out with a free website either with or without your own domain (www.yourfarmname.com). You do have to pay for the domain name, but the hosting is still free.

I made my own with Homestead.com and if I can do it, ANYone can!
    I think it is was pretty cheap per month. The first month is free. You can get domains right there and they attach it to your site and host it for you. You don't have to figure out how to do all that. The domains were cheap.
    There are different levels of sites you can buy...basic up to super duper. The one up from basic allows you to have Paypal buttons and a shopping cart. Currently, I can't get the shopping cart to work, but hey! I've got 2 days until we officially open!

Anyway...have a look.I tried to get my old domain name, Beautifulbrowbands.com, but someone in China is holding it ransom! Apparently there is big money in scooping up domain names that have been given up, for some reason?

www.beautifulbrowbands.net/services.html

Give it a try!

Acco

I second Weebly. I just built a website through there, and while I do know a tiny bit of CSS coding and whatnot, it's really just enough to change background colors and what not...I consider myself a novice. It took me about five seconds to figure everything out, and I came up with this (in my opinion) decent website in about half an hour:

http://www.laurenitisfarm.com

(Excuse the fact that we're not yet open for the season and therefore have nothing content-wise to fill up the pages!)

I pay for the pro website, which gets me a bunch of email addresses, unlimited pages (this is very important....sites like GoDaddy can limit your pages...and you think something like five pages seems like a lot, but they disappear fast!), unlimited photos, etc. Costs maybe $70 a year, although I signed up for one year just to try it out. If I'd committed to five it would be much cheaper, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Weebly.com is pretty easy and you can start out with a free website either with or without your own domain (www.yourfarmname.com). You do have to pay for the domain name, but the hosting is still free.
    Weebly is definitely the way to go. Here's one that I created on weebly

www.newyellowhouse.com Seriously - you literally drag and drop photos on and write the text in boxes.

I used microsoft office live - very easy to do

www.settlementfarm.net

Mine was done with the Yahoo Sitebuilder (Yahoo hosts our site). It is very easy to master and I think offers a nice finished product. Don't worry, lots of software these days is aimed at the amatuer
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Mine was done with the Yahoo Sitebuilder (Yahoo hosts our site). It is very easy to master and I think offers a nice finished product. Don't worry, lots of software these days is aimed at the amatuer
    I have also used Yahoo for two client sites where they had very small budgets. You sign in to Yahoo Small Business and there are quite a few choices that you can customize. It's very easy and intuitive to use.