The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grooming tips

What's your best grooming tips to get hair off with out clipping (my horse is bad even drugged) o.0 hahahaha

Curry, lots! Works best after work, when the horse is warm. A warm bath will also help shedding.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Curry a lot, or use the Epona Shedding Flower (I think it's called), it's an awesome version of a curry comb.

Use a shedding blade and one of those Slick n' Easy grooming blocks. Those three items incorporated regularly into my grooming routine help a lot.

Sometimes giving the horse a bath with really warm water if you can will pull a lot of hair out - opens up the pores - lets out the hair. Also, if the horse stands in the sun - the hair sort of starts to collect and come out - I really think heat helps.

Use a round rubber curry 1st. Its great for loosening up the coat and getting the dirt up and out. I then use a knock off furminator. I then use the grooming block. Each one is great for removing the shedding coat and they also help stimulate new growth and work the coat into a nice shine. I then use a couple different brushes to remove the dirt. I use a good stiff brush first, using short brisk strokes. I then use a less stiff brush that has longer bristles and finish off with a nice soft, horse hair brush. I clean out the brushes while using them to keep them clean and work better. I would love to use the warm bath right now but our temps are still in the 40's.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare