The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Full Care @ Shows: Meals

For those who are paying for Full Care at horse shows, how are you charged for your trainer's and/or grooms meals? Is that included in your Day Fee? Or do you pay a set/flat fee per day or show? Or are you charged actual cost (trainer and groom collect receipts (or have a show tab) and the total is divided by client/horses showing)?

My current trainer is a little different - he has a flat rate that includes everything (tack stalls, all expenses for himself and staff, shavings, etc). Every other trainer I've had charges a "day fee" plus prorated expenses.

In the end, they both come out to about the same amount. However, I prefer my current trainer's method, since I know exactly how much each show will cost ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    My current trainer is a little different - he has a flat rate that includes everything (tack stalls, all expenses for himself and staff, shavings, etc). Every other trainer I've had charges a "day fee" plus prorated expenses.
    I have to say, I would like that too, but I'd worry about your trainer: some shows are more expensive than others (i.e., require nicer hotel rooms, more expensive food, etc.), so I'm curious as to how that evens out for him.

They told me it's their responsibility to make sure they budget properly for their expenses. If there are four or fewer horses at the shows, they revert to the standard day care plus prorated expenses formula, but most shows they take over ten horses so, so far I haven't had to worry about it.

And they only charge for the dates of the show - not the day or two we get there ahead of time. So it's quite nice!