The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mule (and maybe Donkey) People--Shedding?

I didn't think to ask this question last year, but luckily remembered this year. My little mule sheds out sloowwwlllyyyy. My horses are already well on their way to summer coats, and yet my poor little mule, in his daily grooming session, loses just a handful of hairs. They're not even loose.

He's young, and relatively in shape, and on an appropriate diet. So I don't suspect Cushings. Also his hair is a normal length and he never loses it in clumps, like most Cushings-type coats I've seen.

I just feel so bad for the little guy...he gets HOT. He does eventually shed out to a BEAUTIFUL summer coat, it just takes him a few weeks longer than the horses.

Is this the norm?

I had a standard donkey for almost twenty years and I have two minis now. They have always shed out much later than my horses.

Is this the norm?
    for 30 years our donkey(s) shed in Aug and will regrow the winter coats again by Oct...

the greatest secret in the mule/donkey world is a sharp pair of clipper blades

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

south eastern US

My donkey also sheds very slowly. While my horses are shedding in great gobs my little donkey has not let go of any of his winter hair. Luckily for him he doesn't get that great long shaggy coat that is seen on some donkeys.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I have two miniature donkeys and they shed really late and grow it back really early. Unless he's showing any other concerning symptoms, I wouldn't give it another thought...unless it's to clip him so he's more comfortable
    Proud owner of a Mary Poppins horse - "Practically Perfect In Every Way"!

Carrollton, Ga

I have a donkey that also sheds very slowly. Since I live in Georgia, I felt it was a problem. I have clipped him before but I now just use a shedding blade on him everyday. He is usually done by June with me helping him along.

I must have the odd mule in the bunch because Katie is already shedding like crazy. All the thick undercoat hair is mostly gone already and the only thing left is the long wispy's. Those were mostly gone when she got here last year in late May and she looks like she is on course to shed out the same way this year.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Woodland, Ca

I seem to recall reading somewhere that donkeys only grow and shed one coat a year, unlike horses that shed several times a year.

missoula. mt

perhaps a question for the esteemed Fenway Bartholomule! He is quite knowledgeable about all things related to muleness