The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Copper mouth bit

Is it dressage legal? Specifically this one with copper mouth and stainless rings. http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...ct_Code=HMLRSB
    Last edited by nightmoves; Mar. 21, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Absolutely legal.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

You're kidding me?

The trainer at my barn has been telling us all that bits with copper (or Aurigan) mouth pieces aren't legal, but totally copper bits (rings included) would be. We've been driving ourselves mad looking for affordable all copper/aurigan snaffles.

I've searched at half dozen catalogs wondering why they're selling so many illegal bits.

Her explanation for the alleged illegality was that copper and aurigan soften the mouth, encouraging salivation which would be seen as 'cheating' in the eyes of the judges.

Oh my God...

I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but years ago, if the mouthpiece was of 2 different metals, it was illegal. But if the mouthpiece was a single metal or alloy & the rings were a different metal, it was OK.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

This is why I'm having a hard time finding out if it's legal. LOL I heard if the mouth was copper and the rings were stainless that it WASN'T legal and I'm trying to confirm because this is the size bit I need and I don't have many options (pony).

You're having a "hard time finding out if it's legal"? Go read the rule book. It's not that hard. Really.

Sorry zakkandtoto, but your trainer is woefully misinformed.

RTFM

1 members found this post helpful.

the "2 metal rule" was dropped quite a while ago.
    mm

[QUOTE=SillyHorse;4757822]You're having a "hard time finding out if it's legal"? Go read the rule book. It's not that hard. Really.

QUOTE]

I should have it just takes so long to find anything in the rule book online. I thought that's why we frequented these forums but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    RTFM
    Nice, how about stfu

Quote Originally Posted by zakkandtoto View Post
    You're kidding me?

The trainer at my barn has been telling us all that bits with copper (or Aurigan) mouth pieces aren't legal, but totally copper bits (rings included) would be. We've been driving ourselves mad looking for affordable all copper/aurigan snaffles.

I've searched at half dozen catalogs wondering why they're selling so many illegal bits.

Her explanation for the alleged illegality was that copper and aurigan soften the mouth, encouraging salivation which would be seen as 'cheating' in the eyes of the judges.

Oh my God...
    What a weird explanation...
    Why would encouraging salivation be seen as cheating?!?
    Companies are developping new bits, new pads, new saddles, new girths, new everything for the horse to be/feel better...ergonomic bits, humane spurs, humane girths, wider channel for saddles, ergonomic padded bridles, alloys that taste good and are nickel free, memory foam pads...
    How having a horse that is more comfortable in his tack be considered as 'cheating'?

It always take a certain time for new equipement to be tested and approved for shows but lots of people are always pushing new improved gears to be admit. And there is some every year. That is why reading the rules once in a while is a good thing to keep our approved tack update!
    Have a look of the new kind of bridle that's been approved this year!

Also, depending on your federation, some bits might be approved like at FEI level and not your regional section...

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    What a weird explanation...
    Why would encouraging salivation be seen as cheating?!?
    alloys that taste good ...

How having a horse that is more comfortable in his tack be considered as 'cheating'?
    I guess that depends on your opinion. IMO, it IS cheating to use a metal that is irritating to the skin to get the salivation. Copper, Aurigan, German Silver all are irritating to mouth tissues. They cause the mouth to water in response.

Salivation is SUPPOSED to be a test to see if the horse has a relaxed mouth/jaw. To show if he is properly mouthing the bit. Irritating his skin to make his mouth water is not the same thing.

I don't want my horse's mouth irritated, so I use Stainless steel bits.

It can't be considered as cheating....it's accepted in the FEI rules...

Nickel can cause rash in the mouth 'cause horses are often allergic.

Aurigan does not contain any.

Stainless does.

Put a clean bit into your own mouth for a few seconds, and you will feel the burn/tingle/irritation. Stainless steel doesn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmoves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    You're having a "hard time finding out if it's legal"? Go read the rule book. It's not that hard. Really.
    I should have it just takes so long to find anything in the rule book online. I thought that's why we frequented these forums but I guess not.
    You go to the rulebook, you type "bits" in the search box, and there it is. And if you don't find exactly what you're looking for on the first try, you just hit your enter key until you do.

Using a forum like this to find out the rules will, I promise you, bite you in the butt one day. You are WAY better off spending whatever time it takes to find the real and true answer in the rule book.

If you read a rule and you're confused by it, and that happens to all of us from time to time, there are people here, Janet in particular, who can explain in plain English what the rule writers are trying to say. But for the most part, the rules are pretty easy to understand. Looking it up and knowing a rule is much safer than relying on people on an internet forum who, often, haven't read the rules, either.