The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm freaked out! Could a multivitamin be causing this behavior? Update 3/27

See bottom for update.

Yesterday my totally sane horse lost his mind. My son and I took my warmblood and mini donkey out to graze in a different field than they are usually in. It was such a pretty day I thought it would be a fun little outing. He has been struggling with a hurt shoulder which has been feeling better the last few days.
    So, we go out to the field where in the past they just munch on the tall grass and hang out. Yesterday he lost his mind. I have never seen him act like such a nut! He took off tearing around the field jumped out and took off down the road, luckily we live on a small gravel road with no traffic. He ran up the driveway down the trails etc. I think he scared himself and just didn't know what to do once he started going. I literally thought he was going to kill himself. He is usually normally so calm and collected. I was running after him just praying he didn't die. Finally I got back to the barn and got a bucket with feed and shook it really loud. Normally I don't need anything to catch him he just sticks his head in the halter. But, he was possessed by a demon horse. He came to me snorting and covered in sweat. I finally got him back in his pasture and he stood there really wondering what just happened. He doesn't have a scratch on him.
    Now of course he is so sore his shoulder hurts again. I'm giving him bute with his food which helps a little.
    My question is this is it just the springtime weather or could it be something else? I just changed his multivitamin to Grand Vite about five days ago. Could this be causing the maniac behavior? When I went to feed him this morning he was really jumpy and looking around a lot. He really freaked me out yesterday I couldn't fall asleep last night because when I closed my eyes I would see him running around like a maniac.

Update:
    Well it's now been a week. He's been off all week, barely putting any weight on his front right. I gave him bute for two days after his manic behavior last saturday. He is still limping around, so I went and got more bute today from the vet who looked at a video of him. The vet said that it could be an abscess or could be navicular blah blah blah. I'm sitting there thinking did he just say navicular. Navicular, now I'm freaking out. He said to give a gram and a half of bute two times a day and if he isn't better in three days he would come out and look at him. This vet isn't my regular vet. She's out of town.
    I went directly home and soaked his foot in ice water and cold hosed him. I'm so scared now!
    What are signs of navicular and could something like what happened last saturday cause it? What should I be doing to prevent it?
    Last edited by Maybeapril; Mar. 27, 2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: update
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

Probably it's the weather. Mine were all on their toes and snorting for HOURS yesterday because the turkeys, who walk by EVERY SINGLE DAY, are now doing their mating dances and the toms are puffing out their tailfeathers. Apparently this was cause for widespread panic.
    Click here before you buy.

OMG! It just started snowing huge snowflakes! It was 70 degrees here yesterday. Maybe this crazy weather front is what caused that crazy behavior yesterday. Wow!! Keep in mind I'm in Mississippi.

We had 5 1/2" of snow two days ago and yesterday afternoon the sun came out and our horses, old ones too, went on a wild bucking spree in the cool windy day.

I think spring is about to show up and they are feeling extra good.

I do wonder about your supplements for a horse in rehab, if you should not wait to feed those once he is better, in case they are contributing to him feeling too good for his own good?

Bluey, are you saying that the multivitamin could be giving him extra energy? If so then I should probably take him off for a while. I just worry since he's on a beet pulp, alfalfa, oats diet that he isn't getting enough vitamins. He's been on this diet for about a year. The only thing I've changed is the kind of vitamin. He was on the smartvite alfalfa diet supplememnt and he was normal on that. I guess what I'm asking is if he will be okay not having a vitamin supplement daily for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think spring is about to show up and they are feeling extra good.

I do wonder about your supplements for a horse in rehab, if you should not wait to feed those once he is better, in case they are contributing to him feeling too good for his own good?
    My experience agrees with what Bluey has said. Combine horse getting no exercise due to sore shoulder/plenty of food/spring shows up/horse outside and feeling too good for his own good = nutcase! It can happen to the best of us.

It's my understanding that energy is derived from calories rather than vitamins/minerals, but I'm no expert in the subject. The vets or Deltawave would know more.
    <><

Weather does WEIRD things to horses. We had a very cold day last winter and my reliable sane horse was seeing ghosts everywhere, snorting, taking off - I swear he was possessed. But the next day, a few degrees warmer, and he was back to normal.

I wouldn't rule out the vitamins (I started taking a multivitamin last week and I did not feel like myself the first few days) but if it's something he's been on for awhile (2 weeks or more), I'd say it's not the problem.

I have heard in the past that alfalfa can make a horse hot. Is this correct?

Madi, he's been on the alfalfa for a year. He's usually very sane, yesterday he was an idiot. He's also out 24/7, so being out isn't a major reason for a freak out.
    So, I guess I'll just not give him the vitamin until he heals. The vet didn't say to put him on stall rest or anything like that.
    I just hope he's going to feel better soon

Unless the horse is very, VERY deficient to the point of virtual illness, I'd really doubt adding a few vitamins would make an impact on behavior. Horses get foolish in the springtime. It's just the way things are.
    Click here before you buy.

Overloads of certain vitamins can make horses act absolutely nutty. I once added a vitamin mix to 3 out of the 12 horses who were on my farm at the time.. two of those horses were also getting another supplement - long story short those two horses ended up getting excessive B vitamins. HOLY CRAP I have never seen horse act so crazy. I immediately suspected the supplement, did a quick lookover and realized what had happened. Took about 3 days for them to stop seeing dead people.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Well, he can barely walk today just as I suspected. I guess I'll get the vet out here tomorrow. Maybe I'll get her to do some bloodwork and see if the vitamins could be to blame or if it's the weather.
    He was doing so much better physically and I was so looking forward to being able to ride him this spring.
    It's so depressing I could just cry.

You did say you put him in a new field? One he'd been in a long time ago but not recently? That'll bring out the excitement sometimes, especially if it's bigger, has more grass, spring is in the air, etc.

This was a few years ago, but the first day my mare and a couple others went down to an "extra grass" temporary paddock - which just has electric, not a real fence - about two hours later we heard hoofbeats and one of them had instigated jumping the hot wire and the three of them were tearing around the farm like idiots, racing each other. They were all older, mellow horses who could be left loose to graze around the barn if you wanted and would never bother to do anything besides eat or follow you around.

Ditto a really elderly horse a few months ago during a warm spell who totally uncharacteristically barged out the gate while a boarder was getting her horse and cantered (something we didn't think he could do anymore) all around the farm, running away from us as we tried to catch him, looking like he was six, not 30.

Maybeapril, was there perhaps something in the grass that fighten your horse, like a snake or ?. Just a thought, it does seems so early for these types of guys, but not sure in your area

And when you mentioned your son and the walk, just wondered if there was something in that field

Twofatponies that's exactly how it was. I can let him hang out and graze around the house and he just wanders around and eats.
    Springtime and the new field and the wind blowing etc. He just wanted to run!
    Well, he's grounded...forever!

I vote for the supp. I started my horse on Glanzen a few years ago and he went bat-sh!t crazy. Took him off and he was back to normal (which is still a little bit crazy... ).

The funny thing is that this supp is supposed to support a calm disposition. Of course I have the whacko exception to the rule!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I've updated the first post please read and give me your opinions. Thanks.

I know it's pretty early in the year but I see you live in the south so I don't know what the season is like there but what about bees/wasps/fire ants?

Well I'm not so sure you should be getting all worked up when your regular vet is out of town and you showed the other one a video. I think you should wait for a true diagnosis before freaking out totally. And as soon as your vet gets back in town, see what's happening.

Any time my horses go to a new field or paddock they run around like idiots. It could be a field they have been in before, but I guess because it's new this time they just have to tear it up for 5 or 10 mins. And for my horses it isn't a seasonal thing, new turnout = woo hoo!

Vit and min supplement could be a problem too so maybe go back to the old one. But try and take a deep breath until you get to the bottom of the problem.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    I vote for the supp. I started my horse on Glanzen a few years ago and he went bat-sh!t crazy. Took him off and he was back to normal (which is still a little bit crazy... ).

The funny thing is that this supp is supposed to support a calm disposition. Of course I have the whacko exception to the rule!
    Jet had the exact same reaction to Glanzen. Literally nuts. Jumping out of his skin, wide eyed, pawing, snorting, spooky. Took him off it and he was back to normal a few days later.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016