The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling a used saddle

I haven't ever sold a saddle to someone I didn't know so I need some help. I want to sell my jumping saddle. My horse has filled out and the Med-Narrow tree is now too narrow. I don't want to go into a whole lot of detail here because I don't want this post to be misconstrued (sp?) as an ad-- I am just looking for info. I have researched online, and there weren't many of this saddle available used, and the ones I could find varied widely in price. The cheapest I saw was $300, and while it was the same name, it was obviously an older style model than mine, and not in great shape. The most expensive was $1000, but that one appeared to be almost brand new. It is currently available brand new on E-bay for $1630. My saddle is 5 years old, but looks exactly the same as the brand new model. It is in good used condition, well cared for and broken in with a bit of discoloration (from use) on the seat and a few scratches (nothing big or obvious) on the cantle. Any ideas of what I should advertise it for?

Quote Originally Posted by carrie_girl View Post
    I haven't ever sold a saddle to someone I didn't know so I need some help. I want to sell my jumping saddle. My horse has filled out and the Med-Narrow tree is now too narrow. I don't want to go into a whole lot of detail here because I don't want this post to be misconstrued (sp?) as an ad-- I am just looking for info. I have researched online, and there weren't many of this saddle available used, and the ones I could find varied widely in price. The cheapest I saw was $300, and while it was the same name, it was obviously an older style model than mine, and not in great shape. The most expensive was $1000, but that one appeared to be almost brand new. It is currently available brand new on E-bay for $1630. My saddle is 5 years old, but looks exactly the same as the brand new model. It is in good used condition, well cared for and broken in with a bit of discoloration (from use) on the seat and a few scratches (nothing big or obvious) on the cantle. Any ideas of what I should advertise it for?
    I have sold two used saddles. Both, I asked for about 2/3 the new price and got roughly what I asked for... both saddles were well-cared for and without any major blemishes.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I do think the brand of the saddle matters. Some brands are much more in demand and you can get closer to the new price. Others, not so much and you'd be lucky to get 50% of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    I do think the brand of the saddle matters. Some brands are much more in demand and you can get closer to the new price. Others, not so much and you'd be lucky to get 50% of the price.
    Not only brand, but style. A new Crosby PDN flat-flaps no-knee rolls saddle may be selling brand new for $1200 or whatever....but that doesn't mean that that many people are going to pay that, because it is just not a popular style anymore. And they are easily found for ~$200 on ebay in great shape.

I think you should be able to sell it for $750-800 I would think at least. If you go on ebay with it - it has a lot to do with how you advertise and you have to put a starting or reserve price so it doesnt sell for less than you can deal with. I you sell through a local saddlry - they often want 20% of what you get - which 20% is $160 of $800. That is a lot. I see Pessoa GenX used saddles for sale for $1000 at the one saddlery we have near here and am like WHAT? That is almost what they cost new. But Pessoas are comfortable and people buy them. But still, I am sure the consigner really had $700-800 in mind and added some for the consignment fee.