The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ogilvy Saddle Pad?

Okay...so tax return time and bonus time at work so I have some extra cash to splurge with. I've been having saddle fit problems with my one horse for years now and can never seem to get it just right (at least not within my budget). Getting another new saddle is out but I can spend the $220 or so for a good half pad. Conformation wise my mare is long backed and has a hallow spot behind her wither, which makes every saddle I've ever tried (that actually fit her wide shoulder) tip forward once the girth is tightened.

Are these Ogilvy pads as good as they make them out too be? I swear I read one magazine or catalog that said 'It can make even a custom saddle fit any horse.' Really now? That just seems like a rather rash statement too me...and before I spend the money I want some user input.

I love mine!
    It was well worth the money and I ride a variety of horses from ponies to Warmbloods.
    Oakwood Farm
    Home to Rowntree Welsh & Half Welsh Hunter Ponies!
    Bloodlines includes Llanarth Senator, Rosedale Top Cat, Telynau Elgar & more!

I also really like mine. The memory foam is nice because it fills in "empty" spots and compresses in spots where it isn't needed. It wasn't until I randomly decided one day to check the fit of my old saddle that I realized it had become way too small for my horse, and I credit the Oglivy pad for the lack of back soreness which would have tipped me off earlier. My horse is a big wimp, too, so I really do think it made a big difference there. I still use it with my new saddle that does fit, because I think it compensates for the constantly changing shape of my horse as he builds more and more muscle in his topline (who knew dressage would do that...? haha).

As an added bonus the colours are completely customizable, embroidery is included and the cover is machine washable and comes out looking brand new.

I also believe that they could send you inserts that are thicker in the front than the back to help compensate for the dip behind your horses withers.

Do you know anyone with one that you could try out?

love them.....

Definitely worth the money.

Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone around here that has one. I saw the pad in a new Dover catalog and was intrigued. I just wish there was more information/reviews to back up the claims I've read about this pad.

I'm not sure about the claim to fit anything to any horse....but that said I know a horse who uses one for the exact conformation reasons you describe. Big shoulders, big hollow behind them. It works really well for him (just the half pad alone...we tried the lifters in front and it was way too much).

I've seen them in use this winter- I like them. I'm thinking about getting one.

If you do a google search, there is an Ogilvy website. You might want to check the prices there.

Thanks again for the input everyone. I'm still up in the air about getting one. My mare doesn't have any signs of soreness but I'm also not asking terribly much from her at this time.

resurrecting an old thread - I was just looking at these pads too. What is the material on the underside - cotton? They say that the pad is anti-slip, so I'm wondering if there is anti-slip material on the bottom, or that it's just the cut of the pad that makes it less likely to slip...
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

It's actually the suede finish on the pad that keeps it from slipping I assume.

My horse has had two past injuries effecting his back. First time a saddle has left perfect sweat marks. So I am pleased
    I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. - M.J

So it has a suede finish on the top and bottom? That sounds nice!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    So it has a suede finish on the top and bottom? That sounds nice!
    I checked mine today and it definitely has suede on the top but I think there is a different material on the bottom? Maybe, unless it has just worn out differently? Any how it looks different on the bottom. My baby pads usually slide out from under the saddle but not with this pad on, they stay right in place.

Thumbs up

You're right sansibar just on the top ,

no complaints!
    I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed. - M.J

Excellent. I'm going to go order one now