The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reserpine?

Really how common is the use of this drug in the sale of horses? Is it something the average joe owner/trainer would have access to?

How long does it last? How long is it detectable in the system? Would there be any indication that the horse is on it, aside from a quiet demeanor?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm no longer surprised at anything pharmaceutical that makes its way into the hands of horse owners.
    Caveat emptor.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I used it once in one of my horses, I discussed it with my vet for this particular horse. He gave her the first dose and left me 2 more. He has no problem leaving me drugs or writing scrips, he knows I will not misuse what he gives me. Of course, this was not a sale horse.
    I wasn't happy with the effects it had on her as far as personality wise, but they would not have been obvious to anyone who did not know her well, such as in a sale situation.
    I believe the effects last 30 days or so from one injection. After the first one wore off I did not give her anymore since I didn't like it.
    But yes, vets will leave it with owners/trainers and some will write a scrip for it.
    I think if I were horse shopping and concerned about such things I would include bloodwork in my PPE.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I have no idea how common the use is in sale horses, but I am sure there are some unethical people that would use it. It is fairly easy to acquire - just ask a vet for it.

How long does it last? Depends on the horse - 3-10 days maybe? I've used it on TB's on layup from the track when I worked on a TB farm, but in combination with other things, so can't say for sure how long. I believe it can test for a long time though... I had a dose handy for my one horse that was on stall rest and we didn't know how she would take it. Never had to use it though as she was a (very surprising) superstar. I would never buy a horse without doing bloodwork as part of a pre-purchase, and testing for all drugs I could think of!

*edited to add* Wow - I had no idea it would last that long! We had one layup getting shots of it every 7 days!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Thanks all.

Have several friends horse shopping this spring and we were discussing Reserpine last night, as something about a particular horse/situation seemed a little off.... all of us know about it in a vague way but have no direct experience with it.

Personally, having had one poor purchasing experience in the past, I will now always pull blood when buying an unknown horse from an unknown seller...

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    I have no idea how common the use is in sale horses, but I am sure there are some unethical people that would use it. It is fairly easy to acquire - just ask a vet for it.

How long does it last? Depends on the horse - 3-10 days maybe? I've used it on TB's on layup from the track when I worked on a TB farm, but in combination with other things, so can't say for sure how long. I believe it can test for a long time though... I had a dose handy for my one horse that was on stall rest and we didn't know how she would take it. Never had to use it though as she was a (very surprising) superstar. I would never buy a horse without doing bloodwork as part of a pre-purchase, and testing for all drugs I could think of!

*edited to add* Wow - I had no idea it would last that long! We had one layup getting shots of it every 7 days!
    Reserpine hits every horse different....some it works well on with taking the edge off & others it doesn't even phase. Some get diarrhea really bad & others nothing...and the same horse can have different reactions to it every time, too. The horse getting shots every 7 days was probably on a really low dose. Also depends on the lab when testing, I know most labs around me this drug only tests for 10 days & then you'll be clean, but the effects from the drug seem to start off strong for the first 10 days & then start to slowly wear off...but still 'working' for around 20 to 30 days (when given the regular 4 cc/month dose).

To the original question asked -- I'm sure there are sellers that do use this drug on their sale horses, but I wouldn't really think it's all that common. It's more used with lay-ups or horses coming off a lay-off. Most sellers, if they're going to try & deceive, are going to just give a touch of ace......

It's easily acquired, just like anything else. If you are looking at horses actively showing, the odds are somewhat low. It tests easily, continues to test for up to 90 days, and enough people have been caught that everyone knows that and is unlikely to risk it. If the horse isn't showing, it's a possibility. But so are ace and a million other things. Pulling blood is always a good idea, and a seller should not be insulted. It also protects the seller from the buyers that go home, change the horse's entire routine, feed it 8 qts of sweet feed every day, and then come back yelling that the horse must have been drugged .

I request that any of my buyers include a drug screen in their prepurchase. It protects me as the seller (and my reputation) as well as the buyer.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    It's easily acquired, just like anything else. If you are looking at horses actively showing, the odds are somewhat low. It tests easily, continues to test for up to 90 days, and enough people have been caught that everyone knows that and is unlikely to risk it. If the horse isn't showing, it's a possibility. But so are ace and a million other things. Pulling blood is always a good idea, and a seller should not be insulted.It also protects the seller from the buyers that go home, change the horse's entire routine, feed it 8 qts of sweet feed every day, and then come back yelling that the horse must have been drugged .
    Bold italics are mine.. this is so true.

Even if the buyer is comfy w/the seller, you can always pull blood and freeze it. I *always* mention to the seller that I will be pulling blood at PPE so should they be of the "sedating type" they have a chance to pull back before things get serious. 99% of the time they don't blink an eye.. twice I have had a seller suddenly not want to sell a horse. It does make you wonder.

However, horses can be aced before tried, longed until dead, not fed, there are so many things that could be done to make a horse quieter than he normally would be.. the only real way IMO to avoid this is to buy from people you know and trust.

As CBoylen points out, it is very common for people to buy a horse, change the horses feed and routine and then complain that the horse must have been drugged
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Definitely a fine line.... horses will always be different in different circumstances and management situations, and I do think too many buyers are very quick to say "horse was drugged" or "horse was misrepresented."

Agree that pulling blood is probably the only way to protect all parties involved.

I wish I could disclose the details of the situation that sparked the conversation, cause I think most of you would say... ... but don't want to do so on a public forum. IMO most experienced horse peeps would run not walk.

I refuse to buy anything I am not somewhat familiar with, from someone that I know. That's just having learned the hard way... and I don't expect everyone to do the same, just my own personal preference.