The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Ladies, how do you keep riding throughout the month?

A no men allowed topic.

Nine to ten times out of the year, this really isn't an issue for me, however that 2-3 exception chose to come the same weekend as my favorite jump instructor is in town to teach a clinic where I am riding a sweet green gelding (for some reason I keep thinking that my female instructors and the mare I own would be accomodating, ).

I've had three, 200mg ibuprofen and I have a hot pack on the highest setting on my abdomen. Tried to go with out the hot pack for a few minutes and that was a bad idea. Anyway, I can't exactly go around the arena with a hot pack sandwiched between my breeches elastic and an extension cord trailing behind me, and I can't talk my way out of the ride.

I plan on downing water like a 100 year drought is coming and hope that the horse is good so I can get off the hook early and go back to cave of solitude and heat pack. But in the mean time, anyone have any tips?

Get thee some Midol. Or, combine ibuprofen and acetaminophen (tylenol). Tylenol is a better analgesic.

Also, situps really help.

The other thing that helps is just knowing in your head that you're NOT sick, and you're NOT dying, you are just experiencing the result of major hormonal shifts that cause cramping. So the more you can actually work the muscles, the better you'll usually feel.

The other thing? Those stick on hot packs. They're great. They're just a patch that adheres to your skin and they get nice and warm.

I only feel REALLY horrible every 2-3 mos.

But the things I mentioned help me.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

One word: Mirena.

LOVE it!! No cramps, no PERIODS even! Best thing ever!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

simple................grow old

My GYN recommended Aleve as the the best pain killer for cramps, and I agree. Midol contains caffeine, and I absolutely cannot sleep if I take it. Also, I don't think it's as effective as Aleve. The key, though, is to take it BEFORE you start feeling them. At least a day, if not two, before you usually start cramping, take an Aleve or two, and keep it up throughout. It helps immensely.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Down enough cold and flu syrup to kill a horse. Seriously, when I had my cold that month was uneventful

Ask the question on my yearly check up. Doc said to take 4 (yes, FOUR) 200mg Ibuprofene twice a day.

In general I find if I keep my mineral levels up, Potassium and magnesium...it's less noticable, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I too take birth control that gets rid of my periods (Implanon). Otherwise I never found much that works. I agree that Aleve works better than Midol, and that those stick-on heat packs are great, but honestly I always found riding on the first day or two of my periods to be pretty uncomfortable. I could usually do it if I needed to but there was just too much going on down there and it was just unpleasant. That was actually a big factor in my choice of birth control.

Oh, and another thing that helped for me was cutting out dairy products for like a week before my period. I'm not sure why, but it's something I read somewhere and gave it a try and it seemed to help.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    Get one of these.
    The "menstrual" kind are awesome.

I find that exercise actually helps! You may feel like crap at first, but you'll eventually get over it and feel better.

Thanks for the tips so far. Took an acetaminophen and feel much better. Will for sure get the specific thermacare heat wraps and some aleve in the care package.

Excluding dairy- I have other digestive issues and I've been cutting working on cutting out dairy. I have a love hate relationship with red meat which I think does have a negative effect on my body and am working towards the idea of being vegetarian.

As for starting a regimen before the pain actually starts, the thing is that I was a 5-7 days late (Don't have a regular interval to start with and I don't have the "usual" reason to worry about being late) which I've noticed compounds the problem. I'm starting to sound like a good candidate for BC it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    The "menstrual" kind are awesome.
    I third or fifth or whatever the stick-on heating packs. Worth every penny when you need then, even in the tropics.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post
    One word: Mirena.

LOVE it!! No cramps, no PERIODS even! Best thing ever!
    Ditto this! I originally was campaigning for a tubal, but the patriarchy said no... so, I had to settle for Mirena. LOL, settle indeed! Now I'd just assume keep renewing it FOREVER! No periods freakin' ROCKS!

Birth control of any kind is a Godsend for cases like this. I used to have major issues (could barely get out of bed at least three days a month) but once I started birth control, it was like freaking magic! Amazing.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Yes, birth control. I'm starting back on Depo after a years break and let me tell you- I am NEVER going off of the stuff again. I was terrificly uncomfortable just with being alive for the first couple of days, never mind riding. 2-3 days a month every month is far too much down time for me; just unacceptable. My husband tried to help by buying me midol, heating pads, etc- I'm allergic to acetaminophen, developed a contact allergy to the stick on heating pads... yoga helped, as did aleve, but just enough to keep me from crying all day.

I (heart) depo.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    Yes, birth control. I'm starting back on Depo after a years break and let me tell you- I am NEVER going off of the stuff again. I was terrificly uncomfortable just with being alive for the first couple of days, never mind riding. 2-3 days a month every month is far too much down time for me; just unacceptable. My husband tried to help by buying me midol, heating pads, etc- I'm allergic to acetaminophen, developed a contact allergy to the stick on heating pads... yoga helped, as did aleve, but just enough to keep me from crying all day.

I (heart) depo.
    After all that you've earned your depo.

BC helps, but for me getting older has helped. I'm still under 30, but for some reason, the women in my family, most of whom have had terrible cramps during their teen years, outgrow them sometime in their 20's. For some reason, ibuprofen does not help that much either. I got a prescription for painkillers when I was 15, and it was for narproxen, just a little more than otc strength. So now I just take Narproxen, same as Aleve, and for me it helps SO MUCH more than ibuprofen.

When I injured my back in 2003 I got my period while I was in the hospital on morhpine. I had the WORST cramps ever, and they could not give me any NSAIDS because there was no doctor order for it, and the morphine was barely even scratching the surface. Eventually they gave me 800 mg. ibuprofens. It helped a little. I tried to tell them that Narproxen worked better for me but whatever. One of the worst experiences of my life.

Alleve is the only thing that touches my cramps.

The stick-on heating pads are great (you could always wear them stuck-on to a tight, thin tank top under your clothes if you think the adhesive might cause problems).

BC (LoEstrin) worked wonders for me, helped with the ovarian cysts and the endometriosis, but ended up contributing to fibroids. Talk with your doc/gyn. If they don't take you seriously, find one who will--life is too short to deal with that much pain.

Riding always helped me, so maybe allowing for a nice slow warm-up. And the stick on heat pads.

Naproxen sodium, trade name Aleve. I just buy the inexpensive drugstore brand and I take 500mg. Better than aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen for cramps in my opinion.