The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone around Rochester looking for some working dogs? Heelers on CL

This ad probably isn't going to last very long on CL- I have the screen cap, so PM me if you are interested. Doesn't say how much, or if they are horse aquainted, but I have a thing for older dogs and farm dogs, so this is tugging at my heart strings.

Text:

"I have 2 beautiful male heelers,father & son, Blue is dad he is ten yrs old akc reg. un-neutered, color bluesilver ,loves to play frisbee, Jack is son, he is 5 yrs old, tri-colored, purebred w/out papers,also a big fan of the frisbee, friendly & starving for attention, looking for farm life, have recently lost job , & leaving state,would like to keep my boys together, but will part them to good homes. they are presently outside dogs on chains,and I hate it! Jack would do well in house,but Blue definately insists on being outside. Jack is a good rider , Blue likes keepin his feet on solid ground, unless he's 5' in the air catching frisbee,Blue has sired many awsome working dogs as well as family pets, he's getting up there in years and would do well with farmer just lookin for work buddy. if you have a wood chuck problom or other rodents he,s the man for the job. both are great watch dogs, believe me ,nothing will sneak up on your farm."
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Rubyfree - I'm not to sure these dogs would be very good on a horse farm. I have an Australian Cattle dog mix (Lollipop shelter dog) and some people seem to call them heelers as well. Don't ask me why cause I would think they are 2 different breeds.

Anyway, my girl is useless and probably close to dangerous with the horses. I have Invisible Fence so my dog cannot get into the pastures and she respects it very well but the herd dog in her wants to chase the horses. She goes ballistic when the horses lie down to roll. Fortunately both horses are used to being around dogs so when she's acting nuts, they just ignore her. I will not allow her in the barn when I'm working with the horses in the barn aisle because I'm afraid she would go after them and if that happens, she goes right back to Lollipop. If the horses are just in their stalls, I've tried to get her to come and meet them but she slinks away like she's actually afraid of them. I've had her for 4 yrs now and when I need to work on the horses, she gets put back in the house. I just won't take a chance with her going after one of the horses.

A neighbor leases my indoor and had her horse over. I put my girl on a leash to see how she'd react to the horse fairly close up. I believe she would have gone right after the horse if she wasn't on the leash. Even the horse, whose used to several little dauchounds and a shepard, wasn't happy with my girl.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Heeler is a colloquial term for Australian cattle dogs. They are the same breed.

They can do really well on horse farms but it requires work. I have three of them and only one causes any trouble, and that's because he stayed with a friend for a few months while I was traveling and picked up some bad habits from her dogs that it's been very hard to train out of him. If they're started right and learn boundaries, they can be great.

They are kind of a difficult breed and require a lot of time and energy, but they're great dogs.

You're both right, in that they might not be great around horses and would likely require a good bit of work if they are not already familiar. I guess I was hoping they were some undercover sheep farmers lurking on Around The Farm- or anyone who is familiar with dogs with this sort of drive and energy.

I've known a couple of heelers who were fine with horses, a couple who would try to maim anything they could get close to. In general I trust horse people to be more responsible with this kind of dog than most of the rest of the species- we tend to be aware of the necessity for high-energy animals to work. Ah well, it was worth a shot.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Rubyfree, I know there are some people that do have sheep in the Avon/Geneseo area but mostly just to keep the weeds 'mowed' down in the fields. If you use GVEC for vet work, they might be able to tell you of some sheep farmers that might be interested.

PS. I love my dog but I think she's a typical shelter dog and got there for a good reason. She was 'supposed' to be an outside barn dog but has made it abundantly clear that she is a HOUSE dog. She will go to the barn and bark at the horses but she also has to be wherever I am at all times, which translates to I'm going in when you go in. She's also the only dog in 20 + yrs that has made it to the bedroom (not the bed though)to sleep. Previous dogs had the family room as their bedroom.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Oh, and she is a watchdog plus!!! If anyone, and I mean anyone comes on the property, they get rushed and barked at like she's going to take them apart. I have to tell people to just ignore her and she'll be fine but if you try to pet her she might snap as she has snapped at 3 people in the past that had the mind set of "All dogs love me" and tried to pet her.

My neighbor comes over and does a lot of maintenance and repair work for me and no matter how many times she has seen him, she still barks. If he's in and out of the house 20 times/day, she barks 20 times at him.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyfree View Post
    You're both right, in that they might not be great around horses and would likely require a good bit of work if they are not already familiar. I guess I was hoping they were some undercover sheep farmers lurking on Around The Farm- or anyone who is familiar with dogs with this sort of drive and energy.

I've known a couple of heelers who were fine with horses, a couple who would try to maim anything they could get close to. In general I trust horse people to be more responsible with this kind of dog than most of the rest of the species- we tend to be aware of the necessity for high-energy animals to work. Ah well, it was worth a shot.
    Oh that's definitely true, these particular dogs may or may not be good with horses. I just thought I'd mention that not all heelers are bad with horses.

msj, your dog sounds very much like a heeler. They tend to be very focused on their people, and always want to be with you. They are also pretty territorial, and can require a lot of socialization to get used to visitors. Like I said, great dogs but definitely require a lot of energy! I started with the breed quite by accident, but now I can't imagine not having one around, as my SO can attest by the fact that I keep accumulating them.

I hope these two boys find a nice home. It's probably a good thing I'm on the other side of the country, or I might be up to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    Oh that's definitely true, these particular dogs may or may not be good with horses. I just thought I'd mention that not all heelers are bad with horses.

msj, your dog sounds very much like a heeler. They tend to be very focused on their people, and always want to be with you. They are also pretty territorial, and can require a lot of socialization to get used to visitors. Like I said, great dogs but definitely require a lot of energy! I started with the breed quite by accident, but now I can't imagine not having one around, as my SO can attest by the fact that I keep accumulating them.

I hope these two boys find a nice home. It's probably a good thing I'm on the other side of the country, or I might be up to 5.
    CosMonster, I agree that it's true about any breed being good or bad with other animals.

My girl was also a senior dog (6 yr old) when I got her, and with being a shelter dog, I think she was a bit set in her ways. I don't believe in making the dog or a horse or cat to be what you want but to learn to live with what they give you. Other than going a BIT overboard on the barking and being rather ballistic about the horses, I adore her. She adores going for rides in the truck and as long as I don't get out and leave her (to go grocery shopping), she's great.

I'd definitely consider another heeler when she goes. Right now though I don't think she'd take kindly to sharing me. She's already killed a baby coon, baby rabbit and a chipmunk, none of them fast enough to get away. She'd love to get a deer but fortunately they are faster than she is!
    Sue