The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone in US use Heartbreaker frozen?

I was thinking about him for one of my mares.

While I have read thru the all the information that the KWPN listing has here,I'd like to hear people's thoughts on him, as well as any experience with his frozen semen here in the US.

Carlo Zimmer of Beaulieu's Farm has one aproved son of Hearthbreaker and one stallion prospect. Both bred via frozen in Canada.

You should contact him.

My Kebalia mare had one 7 yrs ago, I am pretty sure she got bred for that one in USA, so it would have been frozen.
    Pedro Jou used the semen quite a lot back in 2002/03.
    Mares got pregnant.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

I know of a four year old Heartbreaker mare. Product of frozen. I haven't personally used it but my repro vet has.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I would contact people who have actually dealt with his frozen as I have not heard good things about conception rates.

I can't speak as to fertility, but i just have to chime in because I LOVE LOVE LOVE Heartbreaker! I rode a son (gelding) of his, i believe he had been imported though, and he had a great mind, talented... just a great horse! Good luck on using him!

Yes I remember it not being semen for the "non expert"
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

I wanted a Heartbreaker... I want it very bad but after 6 doses on 3 different mares in the hand of a good vet and one expert, I gave up. His semen is not good frozen but is fine fresh and this information come directly from Janet Nijhof mouth. However there is still success coming every year with frozen with, I must guess, very fertile mare and a good repro vet.

So I still haven't gave up on him as I have one wonderful, well bred, fertile mare that would be such a good match. I brag about her incredible fertility. Maybe this is the year I should try him but I have already two dates waiting for her... Decision, decision, decision
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    I wanted a Heartbreaker... I want it very bad but after 6 doses on 3 different mares in the hand of a good vet and one expert, I gave up. His semen is not good frozen but is fine fresh and this information come directly from Janet Nijhof mouth. However there is still success coming every year with frozen with, I must guess, very fertile mare and a good repro vet.

So I still haven't gave up on him as I have one wonderful, well bred, fertile mare that would be such a good match. I brag about her incredible fertility. Maybe this is the year I should try him but I have already two dates waiting for her... Decision, decision, decision
    I too was told personally by Jeanette Nijhof that the frozen semen is not that great. So when I purchased a mare from her, I tried to breed that mare (3 year old) with fresh Heartbreaker semen before I imported her to the US. We tried 3 times with no luck. We then switched to Verdi and she was pregnant on the first try.

I have seen Heartbreaker in person, petted him, and he is simply gorgeous !!!

If you would like to try him, I would go directly through Team Nijhof for the frozen. I believe they still provide a live foal guarantee. Then if after several attempts you do not get your mare in foal you could switch the breeding to one of their other stallions.

www.team-nijhof.nl
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by sfstable View Post
    I too was told personally by Jeanette Nijhof that the frozen semen is not that great. ......

If you would like to try him, I would go directly through Team Nijhof for the frozen. I believe they still provide a live foal guarantee. Then if after several attempts you do not get your mare in foal you could switch the breeding to one of their other stallions.

www.team-nijhof.nl

A clarification, please. Do you mean go through TEAM Nijhof directly for the FROZEN or the FRESH?

I am confused. We have a mare in Europe that we would consider sending to them...but wouldn't that be for fresh...or have I misunderstood?
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Hill Farm View Post
    A clarification, please. Do you mean go through TEAM Nijhof directly for the FROZEN or the FRESH?

I am confused. We have a mare in Europe that we would consider sending to them...but wouldn't that be for fresh...or have I misunderstood?
    I was talking about frozen semen for use in the US in my above post since that was the OP's question .

But, when I used the Heartbreaker fresh semen my mare was stabled on their farm in Holland. So if your mare is already in Europe, I would assume you would also go directly through them to obtain a breeding -- better yet send your mare to them if you are able, their breeding rates (vet fees), boarding fee, etc. to get your mare in foal are VERY reasonable.

But if your mare is in the US you would have to use frozen, Team Nijhof already has the semen on most of their stallions in the US -- it was distributed by Pacific International Genetics in California when I used frozen from them to get my Quattro filly. And they offer live foal guarantee on their frozen, so if your mare does not take you can switch your breeding to another of their stallions.

Contact Team Nijhof directly (I will PM you Jeanette's email address to you). She will email you a contract and you will pay them directly for the semen.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page