The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tipperary ride lite

Does anyone use the tipperary ride lite vest?

I'm a small time eventer, I'll probably never do above BN. I'm also a very small adult who isn't going to grow and the adult tipperary eventer is way to long in the spine. I do fit into a youth large tipperary eventer though.

I wondered if the ride lite would be a good choice since it was less expensive and shorter in the spine and maybe I could wear the adult size. I'd like something as safe as the tipperary eventer though.

if you are looking from a safety aspect, i know the tipperary eventer is not ASTM approved. i don't know about other tipperary models, but none of the ones i looked at were approved to highest safety standard.. (I want to say its ASTM/BETA level 3??? but don't quote me on that!) I ended up with an airowear vest that i love and charles owen also makes a good approved vest! Im sure there are more out there too.

I am aware that neither vest is approved, I would consider the tipperary eventer safe however and I woudl like to know if the ride lite is the same material only a shorter spine.

Hey, Enjoy, I was just at BofB this last week, and saw the new Ride Lite and tried it on. Now bear in mind I have a regular old Tipperary that I have ridden in for years. But it is needing replacing. So I've been looking.
    The Ride Lite I tried on was a size large. (I wear a size 12-14 normally in womens) I love the adjustability on the velcro sides, much improved over the laces. The zipper has a protective strip which you look at and think oh, that will be bulky down my front but once it's zipped up, it does not bulk out and feels just fine. The front ends up higher, on me, when I adjusted the sides, it came out belly button height, and for me that was very comfortable since I have some fat around my belly. The back portion is lower but still not as long as the old Tip I have. I bent over and walked around in it and bent in jumping position, etc. and never felt restricted -- it was great, the best I've tried on in a while.

This vest was a THUMBS UP for me, and I am planning on buying one. Does that help? (And may I plug BofB bec. they support eventing a lot...)

And as far as approval, the USEA doesn't require an approval standard in vests at this time to my knowledge.
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

That was excellent thanks!
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Mar. 21, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Hey, Enjoy, I was just at BofB this last week, and saw the new Ride Lite and tried it on. Now bear in mind I have a regular old Tipperary that I have ridden in for years. But it is needing replacing. So I've been looking.
    The Ride Lite I tried on was a size large. (I wear a size 12-14 normally in womens) I love the adjustability on the velcro sides, much improved over the laces. The zipper has a protective strip which you look at and think oh, that will be bulky down my front but once it's zipped up, it does not bulk out and feels just fine. The front ends up higher, on me, when I adjusted the sides, it came out belly button height, and for me that was very comfortable since I have some fat around my belly. The back portion is lower but still not as long as the old Tip I have. I bent over and walked around in it and bent in jumping position, etc. and never felt restricted -- it was great, the best I've tried on in a while.

This vest was a THUMBS UP for me, and I am planning on buying one. Does that help? (And may I plug BofB bec. they support eventing a lot...)

And as far as approval, the USEA doesn't require an approval standard in vests at this time to my knowledge.
    I think you are talking about their new ASTM vest.

This one?:

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Tipperar..._p/1000273.htm

It doesn't say ASTM certified on BOBs site but I have seen one and it is.

I'm still not sold on the air vest but this looks like a good choice to wear under one of those.

For those that don't like the length of their eventers though.....you aren't wearing the right size. I was fitted at Rolex and I wear a youth size which is shorter and doesn't hit my saddle. I wouldn't have chosen that size left to my own devices.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

HA I just looked at the old vest I'm trying to replace. I got it off the COTH forum used and it has worked really well but I'd like to get one that isn't faded (vain).

It is a ride lite. LOL.

The side tag says "with pocket closure exception custom sized back."

The tag says L. The spine length is 19 inches from the top to the bottom. This covers me in the saddle and almost touches the saddle. It probably would if I sat the trot. I'm short.

Could this be an Adult large or a Youth large?

Here is a picture of it on me, I think it offers good coverage?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20892581@N04/4452587156/
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Mar. 21, 2010 at 07:41 PM.