The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Random Lunging Question

What do you do with your reins (if you don't want to take them off) while lunging?

I thought about buckling them through the stirrups, but that for some reason seems mildly dangerous.

The horse is a pro at lunging, follows voice commands easily, but she can play too so I don't want her to get hung up.

I wasn't lunging her before our rides before, but I'm thinking she needs just a quickie as she can be pretty hot u/s.

She's an OTTB.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I like to unbuckle the reins, slip one side through the D ring on the front of the saddle, and buckle them up again. They seem long enough to let the horse stretch, but short enough to safely stay out of the way.

I do a modified version of what Brooke isn't a fan of. I twist the reins before putting them over the head to take up some slack. I used to just twist and then put them over the head, but started doing the throatlatch strap to keep them a bit closer (so horse can't pass a hoof through if it goes into some playful or naughty behavior).

I've seen a horse a trainer was lunging flip over backwards on the lunge, and I know of one horse that died when it flipped over because the side reins were too tight, so I'd be careful if you are thinking of attaching the reins to the stirrups.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My OTTB had a *very* hot day last Tuesday. I had her all tacked up to ride her, then she decided to be high, so my trainer suggested we just lunge that day. Since she was already all tacked, here's what we did:

Place the reins under your stirrups on either side and across the saddle (creates side reins for you), wrap your leathers around your stirrups to secure them in the "up" position. If you have a long enough leather, take the end out of the keeper on your flap and wrap that around the stirrup, then put it back in the keeper. I had a bit-converter for lunging, so we hooked that to her bit and went to town.

Hope that helps!

And by the way, she didn't get herself into any trouble with those reins secured that way, despite the fact that she was bucking and kicking, then taking off as if she were leaving the starting gate.

Best of luck!

I just put reins over horse's head as usual. Twist them under her neck one over the over repeatedly until shortened but not tight and then thread throatlatch through the twisted part and rebuckle throat latch. I've never had an issue with this approach.

I put the reins over the neck like normal then take the slack underneath the neck and twist it then take the throat latch and unbuckle it and run it through one of the twists and buckle it back up. I probalby need to find a pic to better show what I am talking about. It keeps the reind up and neat and safe the horse can still use its head and neck. I will try to get a pic.

Here is a pic, it is not mine it is an ad but it kinda gives you the idea.
    http://www.horsetackinternational.co...-lunge-rei.jpg

Here is another pic of what Im talking about (not my pic)
    http://www.artofriding.com/images/fittings.jpg
    ~Soft hands, Strong legs, Quiet mind~

alright I'll try the reins thing - thanks!
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhorse2000 View Post
    I just put reins over horse's head as usual. Twist them under her neck one over the over repeatedly until shortened but not tight and then thread throatlatch through the twisted part and rebuckle throat latch. I've never had an issue with this approach.

Ditto.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

This, except I find a couple of times over does it for me.

I do this too.

I do this too. Otherwise I just take the reins off completely; it only takes a moment

Yup same here!!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

The fastest way is to take a double snap and snap the reins (near the buckle) to the D-ring. They don't seem to be low enough to get a hoof over or flap around enough to be distracting.

Same here - as does Hollyhorse

The twisting reins thing was a success!

Thanks guys
    Friend of bar.ka!