The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Talking Favorite sites for creating your farm/training/horse world blogs!

I have decided I would like a blog, in order, like everyone else with horses, to share my delightful opinions. Could those of you who have created blogs for your farms, to keep folks updated on your horses training, or growth, or general goings on in your end of the horse world, please share what you like, and dislike, about different sites that help you create these things.

Thanks!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I use www.blogspot.com. I really like the flexibility you have in the layout and options plus you can add all kinds of gadgets and external widgets. Plus it's integrated with Google and Flickr.

Here's my blog:
    http://ctgponies.blogspot.com/

I'm really happy with mine as well--especially for what it cost, lol!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I design blogs and websites and my first words of advice are always this:

Get your own domain name (maybe $10)
    Get your own hosting (unlimited hosting should never be more than $100 per year)

Then go with something like www.wordpress.org or even weebly (if you don't want to make a financial commitment).

The first things I hear from clients are always "When I started this I had no readers and now I do and I have to change everything". Start right from the beginning...you wont be sorry.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Thanks for the direction, guys!

I have my own domain name- would I simply have my web person link it to my site, then?

Thanks for your help!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    Thanks for the direction, guys!

I have my own domain name- would I simply have my web person link it to my site, then?

Thanks for your help!
    You can install Wordpress on your hosting plan using your domain OR you can redirect your domain to your Wordpress (or other blog powered website) if you are not hosting.

I build custom blog sites using Expression Engine, but that's a whole complicated mess that I wouldn't recommend unless you are very HTML/CSS/PHP savvy or you wanted to hire someone.

Where did you register your domain at? Do you have a hosting plan?

I'd recommend a conservative approach. Don't dive into the whole 'host my own blog' thing yet.

Get an account at WordPress or Blogger (TypePad and Movable Type are also good) and keep the blog on their servers. If you already have the domain name, they'll walk you through how to point it at your account on their servers.

This way, you spend a minimum of money while you figure out if you actually like blogging and will stick with it.

Once you're sure it's for you, and when you start feeling confined on someone else's server/by their rules/want more features and freedom -- then you go get a hosting plan of your own, install the software on it, and run your own blog. These days it's very easy to export posts/comments and move them elsewhere, so you're not going to lose any content doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I build custom blog sites using Expression Engine, but that's a whole complicated mess that I wouldn't recommend unless you are very HTML/CSS/PHP savvy or you wanted to hire someone.
    I love EE and most of my sites are built on it. It is definitely not a starter platform, though.