The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

After years of being overweight and making excuses about it, I'm going to do something about it this time. Despite my weight, I ride well....although the fat vs. skinny discussion on dressage forum prompts me to take a better look at what I'm really capable of.

I decided about 3 weeks ago (pre-new years) that this year would be different. I would finally tackle my weight head on and become the more serious rider I have always wanted to be. I also want to be less of a burden to my horses.

I started going to the gym and am finally modifying what I am eating. I have over 80lbs to lose and am currently a size 22. My journey to a better me has finally begun.

I have lost 2 pounds in the last 3 weeks and am still counting. I plan to update you all regularly and would appreciate any support you can provide along the way. Also, anyone else wanting to begin their weightloss journey, please feel free to post here. We'll persevere together.

To all of you skinny folks...please bear with us http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Live each day to the fullest.

After years of being overweight and making excuses about it, I'm going to do something about it this time. Despite my weight, I ride well....although the fat vs. skinny discussion on dressage forum prompts me to take a better look at what I'm really capable of.

I decided about 3 weeks ago (pre-new years) that this year would be different. I would finally tackle my weight head on and become the more serious rider I have always wanted to be. I also want to be less of a burden to my horses.

I started going to the gym and am finally modifying what I am eating. I have over 80lbs to lose and am currently a size 22. My journey to a better me has finally begun.

I have lost 2 pounds in the last 3 weeks and am still counting. I plan to update you all regularly and would appreciate any support you can provide along the way. Also, anyone else wanting to begin their weightloss journey, please feel free to post here. We'll persevere together.

To all of you skinny folks...please bear with us http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Good for you! Sounds like you are off to a great start, especially since this is a commitment you are making to yourself, and not to please anyone else.

Are you following any particular plan or just trying to eat healthy and get more exercise? I'm also trying to slim down and have had good success in the past with Weight Watchers. I lost about 10 lbs before the holidays, and then really went off it and was terrified to weigh myself today. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif Shockingly I hadn't gained anything back. So, now I'm back on it, more committed than before!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Good luck and best wishes. i have found the best way to keep weight off it to keep active. Any chance you have to burn more calories, take it. Take the stairs, walk the long way to pick up lunch...exercise gives you energy. Laziness promotes fatigue, exercise promotes itself. Walk down the hall to deliver the document. Any chance you have to get up and move around will help.

Best wishes.

Hey, good for you! Last summer, I dropped about 30 pounds and have (for the most part) kept it off. I have some more to go, and I am trying to train for the NYC Triathlon this coming summer. I'd love to lose another 30 pounds, but I don't know if that's reasonable with the muscle mass I will put on.

If you want to PT me or email me, feel free. This stuff isn't easy and support (even through emails) is sometimes helpful!

I'll second the Weight Watchers Diet!! I lost 30 pounds last year (~ 2-3 pounds/month) and have had no problem keeping it off--though I can't ever look at any food without wondering what the "points" value is and if it's "worth" eating. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif I plan to start back next week and lose the final 5 pounds.
    Had 2 friends try it--both with equal success. Plus it becomes a bit of a game (sounds weird, I know).
    Whichever (healthy) way you decide to go, good luck and definitely keep us posted!

congrats on your decision and best of luck.

I talk to people every day who are trying to lsoe weight (in my job) and have heard lots of good success with Weight Wachers EXCEPT that the points are often too little food. If you have access to getting a resting metabolic rate done it can be real helpful to figure out how little is too little (you'll start to lose and then plateau or gain if you eat too little).

My latest advise is to write down everything you eat. There've been a nunmber of studies that show that people who do nothing else other than write down what they eat will lose weight. I've started it myself lately (since I'm preaching it) and it certainly increases my awareness.

end unsolicited advice.

Orrrr, you could just get one of these:
    http://totallyabsurd.com/handnearmouthalarm.htm

(Fair warning--this website will crack you up!! Check out all the patents....)
    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

I too lost a bunch of weight w/WW - and actually I think its quite a lot of food and you can eat anything you want, which I like. Never felt deprived which is important for long term success. I kept it off for a couple of years but since the summer have started putting it back on again. I am planning to rejoin my old group this Friday so your thread is perfect timing. Besides I can barely zip my breeches and I refuse to buy a bigger size.

Count me in on the journey with you!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif I too, have struggled with my weight for the past 10+ years, and now that I've got my horses, I'm truly motivated to get it off. ALL off!!

I did WW's last year, and lost almost 20 pounds, but I stopped going, and am sure I've gained it all back (I'm dreading getting on the scale http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif) I need to lose around 35+ pounds. WW's is easy to do, and the recipes are wonderful! They now have a new plan where you don't have to count points; you can just eat foods from a list (all that you want) until you feel full.

Also, drinking tons of water is really important for weight loss. It clears your system of toxins, and keeps everything running properly. I learned in WW that many times we think we're hungry but we're really dehydrated. They suggest drinking before you eat something at snack time let's say, so you're not spending extra points when you don't really need to.

For Christmas, I got the Book Yoga for Equestrians, and I also plan on breaking out the Pilates machine to help me get more limber and fit. I also like to walk, and I'm trying to get one in whenever I can.

Please feel free to PT me, or we can converse here. We will succeed!! We're in this together!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Savvy Mom
    -Proud Founder of the Appendix QH Clique, member of the OTTB Clique and the I Love My Mare Clique

I have tried Weight Watchers before...but I am easily depressed so when I didn't lose anything yet I'd been really "good", it frustrated me. Where I attended meetings, almost everyone was in their 60s and 70s...and not that there's anything wrong with that...I just felt like a fish out of water. I'd be willing to give it another try, however.

Basically I started off 3 weeks ago by committing to go to the gym 3x/week for at least 45 minutes. I am now committing to step things up a bit to 2 days on (to the gym), 1 day off. I do at least 45 minutes of cardio and am trying to do weight training every other workout day.

For meals, I am trading in my "3 meals a day" to "6 smaller meals/snacks a day....and no eating after 8pm. I grew up in a household where the world would end if I didn't clean my plate....and sadly I have a big fat roll thanks to all of those starving children in Ethiopia...if only had my food actually been sent there!

My biggest challenge is sticking with this. I am very easily depressed. In fact, the other night at the gym I noticed some guys kind of looking at me and chuckling.. (I was in the "zone"....I guess I kind of looked like a freak...I don't know). I pretended I didn't notice but when I went outside to my car, I cried all the way home. I was ready to quit.

But I didn't.....I forced myself to go back. I feel it was one small victory in a lifetime of challenges for me......

Yada, try not to let crappy people get to you! I know, easier said than done, but....

When I did WW, I never went to the meetings. I was losing weight for ME; I didn't need to go somewhere to have them tell me whether or not I'd lost anything. And I understand that for some people, the groups are great moral support, but some of us choose to not go that route. (Neither of my friends did the meetings either--we were each other's support!)

I'll also recommend Cooking Light magazine--GREAT stuff in those!

Yada-
    Don't mind the "gym jerks" and DON'T you let them stop you from going to the gym. And I think sometimes we get paranoid - 2 ladies at the track were giggling as I ran by them panting like a dog.... I thought they were laughing at me, until I realized that they had more to lose than me and were probably laughing about something else other than somebody running. I used to work out with a bunch of guys - they all were very nice to me despite my fatness and helped alot. The only people they ever laughed at was the lady with the boob job and bikini top doing some odd ab exercise and farting on each rep, and the guy who groaned like he was having sex each time he did a leg press (after he finished, he always went into the bathroom.... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif).

I've taken up running and in exchange for busting my butt, I'm letting myself eat without monitoring every bite. Luckily, I run pretty badly when I've eaten poorly, so I make better decisions than I used to out of wanting to be able to complete my run.

The hardest part is eating out. I have a new motto - just eat 1/2 - portions are way too big - wrap up half and save for lunch or dinner.
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

YYY, don't let yourself get depressed, if you stick with the program you WILL lose, sometimes I would go several weeks at a time w/o losing anything, then all of a sudden a big loss one week, its not predictable. Also, you are not "good" or "bad" - that has nothing to do with what you eat or how much you weigh. It helps to get out of that mindset right from the start, you're still a good person regardless of your weight and eating habits even if you didn't exactly "follow the program" some weeks. That is a self-defeating attitude, just keep plugging away, some weeks you will lose, some you will gain and some times you will stay the same, overall though if you follow the program (even with your ups and downs) you'll end up losing. I know it sounds easier than it is though.

For me though I MUST go to the meetings, they are so helpful, first of all you learn so much that will help you in this battle and it also helps being around people who are experiencing the same issues we all do trying to lose weight. Plus I lose my motivation without the group sessions.

YadaYadaYada, I too came from a family where being a member of the "clean plate club" every evening at dinnertime was a big deal. To this day, I feel guilty about throwing away food. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

You could consider WW online if you don't want to go to meetings. (I don't do meetings either). You still have access to the recipes, food lists, etc. and can weigh in at your leisure. To be honest, I think weekly weigh ins are overrated and I really don't care as much about what the scale says as I do about how I feel or how my clothes fit. If you are easily discouraged, maybe try NOT weighing yourself and just continue on with your new, healthy lifestyle. Or just weigh yourself every month or so.

BTW, gyms are like magnets for jerks. Don't let anyone get you down. You can do this!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

You might want to check out Bob Greene's web site. I believe it is www.getwiththeprogram.org

Best of luck to you!! I myself am struggling with about 30 extra pounds I've accumulated over the past 5 years. Luckily I am 5'6" so I am able to at least carry it moderately well, but I know I ride better when I'm smaller. I'll send good thoughts your way and you send them mine.

DB

That is awesome!!

Great job! I really mean that. I am a size 18 myself and have always struggled with my weight. I started in late October and have since lost 20 lbs. I started with speed walking in my neighborhood, at least 3x week at a distance of 2 miles. Late December I joined LA FITNESS and I'm not looking backwards!

I wish you the best of luck. The best thing to do is get involved in life. Take a fitness class, start slow and build your way up!

There used to be a COTH support group but it's died down as far as I know. This would be a perfect time to start it up again. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Sincerely,
    Lara

I did WW last year and lost alot, but stopped going to meetings and have gained some back. Well as they say try try again. I'm going to get back to meetings, do the on-line thing and really mean it this time. I want a new horse and I want to look good riding it! Good luck and do keep us posted
    Horsemanship and the partnership, learn it, talk it, admire it, pass it on!
    "The Pony" Theodore O'Connor 1995-2008

I wanna try too pls http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Last year I was doing good losing weight, but still needed to lose about 25 lbs. Then I broke up with my b/f and gained 30 on top of that http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

So I'd like to lose about 60lbs. And i'm a little like you, I don't have the will to do it for myself....but i'm doing it for my horse and for riding http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

So, health eating (with the one 'anything'day of course) and i'm going to the gym. I haven't had any problems at all, i pick up my rider level handbooks or any horsey mag and go. 30 min cross-trainer(split into 2 15min sessions) and easy weight training (lotsa reps, little weight) inbetween.

And while we're on the subject of weight....I like Therma-lean too. In moderation....no flaming. It takes off water weight, right away, and helps give that extra energy when you don' wanna do anything. (It recommends 2 pills with every meal....REAL people recommend 1 pill a day, and no-where near the time you're going to bed either. It'll make you sleep with your eyes open. Just remember to drink ALOT of water, and read directions....

Carol and Doccer
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**