The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oregon law regarding horse abuse

Does anyone know the steps to take to get help for a horse that's being starved to death? Umatilla County Sheriff's Office says there's nothing they can do.

I posted sme pictoures on photobucket. I'll try to link to them.

http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/a...8.jpg&newest=1
    http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...u/IMGP0008.jpg
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I don't know the laws, but have you contacted Fugly about it. She blogs about rescues in that area of the country regularly and seems to know who to contact.

http://www.fuglyblog.com/

Christa

Thanks Christy!

You might try contacting Linn County Animal Rescue. I know that this is not your county, but they may know who to contact as they work with law enforcement for all the seizures in Linn County.

I was trying to verify a "rescue" organization through the area Humane Society's and law enforcement, and everyone I called referred me to LCAR. I can't remember the lady's name, but she was very helpful.

I hope it is okay to post the link, as they are a true 501c.

http://www.lcarhorse.com/

I truly hope you can find some help for that poor baby, awful to see!

Equine Outreach in Bend (Deschutes County)

http://www.equineoutreach.com/

could be a source of referral information.

Deschutes County has had several large groups of horse neglect cases over the past few years, including some outside of Deschutes County, and I'm sure they would be able to refer you to someone.

The Humane Society of Central Oregon

http://www.hsco.org/

would be another starting point.

Both of those are far closer than LCAR. The various agencies do cooperate to see that things get done.

LCAR is a joke. They may have non profit status, but they suck as far as a rescue goes. it is way out of their jurisdiction being in pendleton.Quite frankly they can not afford to take care of the horses they have now. I agree with contacting fugs. have you asked if you could take the horse?

Email photos of this horse to any and all Animal Control Units in your State and set the wheels in motion immediately. The horse looks like it has about another couple of months to live if it continues to be kept at the same level of feed.

Here are the statutes for Oregon:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...67_310_390.htm

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Thanks for the great info everyone! I did tell the sheriff's office I would be willing to care for the horse. They still have not gotten back to me, but that's typical of this office when it comes to animals.

luvmytbs, thank you for the statutes, I was trying to find them online last night. I registered with Fugly, but can't figure out how to post on there.

I'm going to keep trying to help this poor horse. If anybody reading this recognizes this address, please pm me. (it's the number on the mailbox in front of the horse's pasture.) 72032 Hwy 395, Pendleton, OR 97801

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Thanks for the great info everyone! I did tell the sheriff's office I would be willing to care for the horse. They still have not gotten back to me, but that's typical of this office when it comes to animals.

luvmytbs, thank you for the statutes, I was trying to find them online last night. I registered with Fugly, but can't figure out how to post on there.

I'm going to keep trying to help this poor horse. If anybody reading this recognizes this address, please pm me. (it's the number on the mailbox in front of the horse's pasture.) 72032 Hwy 395, Pendleton, OR 97801
    As it's her personal blog, you don't actually post on there. What you do is comment on the most recent post with the relevant info and contact info. If she's interested and has time, she'll email you back or respond to the comment. She might also be able to help you with who you could contact.

Good luck.

You can email the person that writes the fugly blog directly at:

resqtb@yahoo.com

Christa

I would try both emailing and commenting. She's mentioned several times that she has more than 1000 unread emails in her inbox, and slowly works through them. It might take a while for her to respond if you just email.

UPDATE* Joan has stepped in and is helping push the right buttons. As with many people and businesses, her organization is losing ground. Please, if you have $ that you can donate, they would be grateful. Even $5.00 can help. I've decided to stop using Netflix. I love it, but the $9.95 every month can go to a rescue. Lot's of animals in need.

Please help if you can. Thank you. Below is a letter from her.

Dear Friends of Equine Outreach,

This has been a very tough year for most people and an especially tough year on animals and the non-profits that are caring for a record number of Abused and Owner Surrendered Horses. We are in a severe cash crunch and we are forced to ask if everyone would consider going to www.equineoutreach.com and clicking on the success stories button and watching the videos depicting the care we are providing and viewing the astonishing miracles of recovery…all have guaranteed happy endings! If you could find it in your heart to go to our PayPal account under Donate and make a small donation online and then please encourage 5 of your friends to do the same we just may make it through this tough time! We have no government funding of any kind and this is a 100% Volunteer Run organization with your donation going directly to the care of the horses…also there is no wasted money on expensive brochures, solicitations or marketing mailers. Please consider helping us with this grassroots attempt at fundraising. Your donations are 100% deductable. Thank you for your thought and effort in helping us help the horses!

Warmly,

Joan Steelhammer

President

Equine Outreach Inc.

Tax Id # 51-0484049

541-419-3717