The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shockwave therapy to neck, plus old SI injury injection?

Since shockwave therapy to the neck (just behind / below the poll area) my horse has developed a bucking problem under saddle.... He tends to curl up, curl up (even when you throw the reins away completely), then BUCK. Hard. Like rodeo bucking.

Any ideas on the two being connected? Maybe stress to the neck area?

OR

He also had an SI injury last year, so I am also considering it relates to that, and interested on hearing thoughts / experiences with ultrasound guided SI injections.

Thanks!
    Last edited by naters; Mar. 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Why was the shockwave done to the neck? Was there an injury there? Also, there was a very recent thread on SI injections with good responses if you do a search.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    Why was the shockwave done to the neck? Was there an injury there? Also, there was a very recent thread on SI injections with good responses if you do a search.

I saw that thread but it had kinda died.

Shockwave was due to an injury, and has been used previously with great success.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Have never seen the under-saddle characteristics he is currently exhibiting.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    I just searched and could not find. (although I admit I am searching "challenged"). How recent?

I wouldn't mind bumping it up and getting a discussion going again.

naters, I think the two (neck and SI) might very well be connected. Another poster onced pm'd me about the connection in her horse. Her take was that pain in SI area made horse not want to take weight behind to balance, be more on the forehand and use the neck to balance more. If the horse is using neck to balance and compensate for hind end it could cause more stress in the neck. She has success when both neck and SI were treated. So there might be a connection.

As to the recent bucking..I don't know. Perhaps the SI has become aggravated again?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I think it is the SI that is causing the issue this time. The neck and SI were seperate injuries, several years apart. The SI being the recent one (thank you Mr. Semi Truck Driver on I-95).

Horses with SI issues will frequently have poll issues as well. What kind of neck injury was the shockwave for?
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

The two are completely separate specific incidents, several years apart. Though the "symptoms" can be the same (muddy waters there!), which is why I am having trouble ruling out one versus the other.

There are calcifications in front of his first vertebrae, and on the nuchal ligament (which runs down the neck) diagnosed in 2004. This has been managed sucessfully with shockwave therapy about once per year and adequan. Havent had a problem until now (the year 2010).

The SI injury occured in April 2009, as a result of a jackass tractor trailer driver who swerved into our lane. He has been out of work since, first due to rest, then due to my working out of town. I don't feel that it is 100%. When the chiro saw him last month, he was way out of whack still from the SI injury, but improved after chiro. Chiro is due back again in a couple of weeks.

Just trying to think about a path forward for management because although the two issues are separate, they both relate to each other in the expression of "symptoms" etc.

Mostly wondering two separate things:

1. Has anyone had any issues with shockwave and the nuchal ligament (side effects, if you will. Although it has been done before with great success, that this particular time the vet did a few things that I didn't like, and I actually wonder if it caused some additional damage).

2. Has anyone had experience with a nagging SI injury that is almost managable with chiro, but still not 100%. Did you inject the SI? What were your results.