The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Senior Feed for Younger Horse?

i have a 19y/o TB gelding who i want to switch over to senior feed and was thinking it might be a good idea for my mare (shes only 10). this mare has some horrible teeth (yes she does get them taken care of regularly), and so has difficulty chewing properly. they both currently are on hi fat hi fibre but i was thinking senior might be a good idea for the two of them. i was looking at blue seal sentinel senior.

the vets out next week anyways and yes i will be talking to him about it but i was curious as to if anyone else feeds senior feed to a non senior.

does anyone feed senior horse feed to younger horses? i see that it has a higher protein content then the average feed, any thing i should worry about?

thanks in advance!

Bonnie was weaned on Equine Senior. If it meets the horse's nutritional needs, it doesn't matter what's on the label.
    Click here before you buy.

Default The main advantage with senior feeds

is the degree to which they are extruded (cooked). That and the use of the more digestible fiber sources means that senior feeds should, in theory, be easier to digest.

The higher protein is another factor but more importantly it is supposed to be a higher quality protein not just more of the same.

Thus if your younger mare had dentition problems and was having trouble maintaining weight on a 'normal' feed, then yes it would be a good idea to feed a senior feed.

There is considerable difference in feed digestibility between the various manufacturers, look for one that is extruded and has chelated minerals and higher amino-acid content.
    Good Luck
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Bonnie was weaned on Equine Senior. If it meets the horse's nutritional needs, it doesn't matter what's on the label.
    Agree 100%. My 11 yo Appendix is on Senior. But mainly because of the ease of digestibility. He had colic surgery this past summer. He was fed it in the past and did very well.

The label is a bit misleading.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I've been feeding all my horses senior feed for many years, ages range from 6 to 27. All of them are doing great. The "label" is mostly a marketing tool, to entice folks with senior horses to buy it. I like the quality and digestibility of it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

My OTTB started on Triple Crown Senior at age 5 and he thrives on it. I love the added fiber, fat, and good protein sources. I also love the low NSC%. Great digestibillity like everyone else said also.

I put my OTTB mare on BS Vintage Senior when I bought her off the track back in 2003 - she was only 4 then. A lot of people put younger horses on senior feeds for various reasons.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

My hard-keeping 12 year old TB just started on senior feed (and is doing really well) because of the easier digesting.

My 13 year old QH was started on it as well to keep the number of feed cans down, and because the one I buy has a joint supplement worked right into it.

I have to put a plug in for Sentinel Senior from Blue Seal. It IS very easy for them to chew and a couple of our old timers... a WB and an Arab...are doing fantastic on it.

I'm another that feeds all my horses, ages 3 - 24, TC senior. I started my aged pony on the senior, but then switched the TB's over because I liked the higher fat, protein and the lower NCS%. They are all thriving on it.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Add my knocking-on-36-month old to the list. He's been on Seminole wellness sr (along with the 18 year old) since I bought him at 18 mos.

At 12% protein, 18% fiber, 10% fat and 12% starch and the top ingredients being Soybean Hulls, Beet Pulp, Soybean Meal, Steam Crimped Oats, Steam Rolled Barley, Ground Oats, Alfalfa Pellets, Wheat Middlings, Alfalfa Meal ... well how could that be a bad feed for any horse?

However there are some senior feeds I would not feed a 3 year old. As it turns out I wouldn't feed them to an 18 year old either!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

thanks everyone, i guess i will give it a try! that is, if the picky princess will eat it. one of the main reasons she has stayed on hi fat hi fibre so long is because she really likes it, but its not getting her quite to where i want her for weight.

I have two aged horses on the Triple Crown Sr and decided to try it on my 6 yr old ottb. The 6 yr old loves the grain but I honestly can't say that I've seen any difference in his weight. He needs that extra 50 to cover the rib area the way I like it. Everywhere else, he looks great. He's not an easy keeper and I've tried Purina Horsemen's Edge 10% fat 10% protien, I've tried Farnum's Weight Builder and now the Sr. feed that has beat pulp in it. He put on a lot of weight since I bought him as a skinny 4 yr old, but I can't seem to get that last little bit on him. He is on a regular worming program along with having an equine dentist out every 6 months.

Good luck with it. RiverDance
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Both of mine (8 and 12) have been on TC Senior for the past few months, and are doing great. It is similar to the TC Complete, but lower NSC, so I figured I'd give it a try. I've been quite happy with it.