The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fit of various Tailored Sportsman breeches

Hi all - I am trying to find new breeches for schooling and would love some guidance on sizing for them. ie. which fit larger, which run small etc. I have the TS schooling breeches which don't fit me, seemed like they run small. How about the Trophy Hunter, Royal Hunter or Supreme Hunter? also, what is the difference between the 2 way and 4 way stretch from a sizing perspective? I'm going to be ordering online so I just want to have some idea of which tend to fit smaller and which are closer to size etc.

Thanks

DD has the Royal Hunter, 2 way stretch with the regular rise and they fit great. She tried the 4 way stretch on because they were on sale but they were way too big in the seat (which in her case isn't very padded)

A couple of years ago when I was a 28 my Royal Hunters were a perfect fit but the Supremes (4-way) were always too full, no matter what size I tried. But for some reason the TS schooling breeches always fit me well, regardless of what size I am currently at. Its too bad because I really love the fabric of the Supremes best. I recently tried on the Trophy Hunter style and they fit me well too.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I find the Trophy Hunters are perhaps a bit looser in the waist than either my Supremes or my TS pro's. Maybe it's the wider waistband? But their low rise is LOW - lower than either my TS Pros or Supremes. (This works for me since I am fairly short waisted; regular rise breeches end up coming half way up my chest, LOL.)

I agree with BAC that the Supremes are cut fuller throughout. The Royal Hunters I think suit thin figures very well; on people like me with hips, they are not quite so flattering. And personally I find the 2 way stretch confining; they do hold their shape better (no sagging in the seat) but I don't find them quite as comfortable to ride in. Overall I'd say the Trophy Hunters were the most comfortable of my TS breeches, but the Pros are a very close second.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

expect failure if youre buying online! well maybe thats extreme, but i would have probably failed at buying them online if i'd never tried them on!!

if the schoolies do not fit you, then the supremes will not fit you--the schoolies are cut the same way the supremes are, just that they're made of cotton and run a tiny bit tighter probably because of that. (i go up one size for the schoolies but they are cut to the same shape and proportions)

NO other ts breeches fit me comfortably. i don't remember what the trophy hunters fit like, but i know that the royals are NOT as stretchy as the supremes, and the leg runs a lot smaller. it was very very tight in the calf, and it seemed like if you had any kind of butt at all, they would be tight in the area. however, i remember the hips being very wide--but then not having enough room. thisis hard to explain. okay, so if a person is standing facing you, the space from hip to hip or what have you is going to be their width. from their front to their back is going to be depth. it seems like these pants are very wide but do not have much of any depth, if that makes sense. i am short and curvy, and my hips just werent nearly wide enough yet at the same time, i felt like i was trying to be squeezed into sometihng way too small, it had no room or stretch in the leg or the butt going depth wise.

hope that helps, sorry its confusing

so more simply: if you're curvy--even if youre skinny but have curves or fuller figured, or if you have bigger muscular legs, or a 'ghetto' booty, you will fit into the supremes or the schoolies. if you've got a board for a bum, your best bet is the royals
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Hi all - I am trying to find new breeches for schooling and would love some guidance on sizing for them. ie. which fit larger, which run small etc. I have the TS schooling breeches which don't fit me, seemed like they run small. How about the Trophy Hunter, Royal Hunter or Supreme Hunter? also, what is the difference between the 2 way and 4 way stretch from a sizing perspective? I'm going to be ordering online so I just want to have some idea of which tend to fit smaller and which are closer to size etc.

Thanks
    As others have said, the two-way will definitely fit slimmer than the four way. The Royals don't stretch hardly at all and definitely run on the slim side. The Trophys are very stretchy, but they hold their shape nice. I would say they are in between. The Supremes are very stretchy too and seem to run a little bigger than the others. The Professionals are in the middle too.

If you don't like how the schooling breechs fits, you probably won't like the Royals.

I personally prefer the Royals, Professionals, and the Trophy low rise. They all hold their shape nicely and flatter my body type. You really need to try them all on though, as everyone is different.

In my experience, the Supremes and Trophy Hunter are roomier than the rest. I like the 4 way stretch best.