The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help! I need new paddock boots!

Alright, I'm looking for new paddock boots- Im looking for SUPER durable ones, because I not only ride at a h/j barn, but I also exercise racehorses. Im looking for preferably under 100 but not cheap. Black>brown..
    What do you think of these?
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...r_Pull_On_Boot
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=8516

You cannot go wrong with Ariats IMHO. I love the zip ones.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

My Mountain Horse boots are going to last FOREVER, its going to take a Nuclear intervention to kill this pair of boots LOL. I wear them for an average of 9 hours a day in all types of weather and footing ( mud, a sand indoor, in water to bath ect) they are indestructible! Honestly I was hoping they would die sooner because I bought them to wear with 2 pair of socks for the winter and now that spring is here they are a bit big, I am considering buying a size smaller for the spring and summer and then using this pair again next winter LOL!!!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

I'd go for the Ariats over the Dublin boots. The Heritage are pretty good--they probably won't last more than a year, given how much you're riding, but nothing else would either in that price range. I have a pair of the Ariat Cobalts that have lasted well for over three years, and are just now starting to show rips along the seams. I also ride multiple horses a day most days of the week.

I found that ebay has great deals sometimes on paddock boots, so if you know what you're looking for, you can try there. I found a new pair of the Cobalts in my size for 1/2 price a while back. I'm still in the older ones, though, because I love how worn in they are. Here's the link to them at Dover for about $130...

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=568436679

I second Mountain Horse-they last forever.
    One con to those is they have "ridges" on the bottom to work with
    a stirrup iron that they designed to keep your heel down.
    My trainer thinks they are very unsafe b/c of the ridges so, those are my back-up paddocks.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieAnn View Post
    I second Mountain Horse-they last forever.
    One con to those is they have "ridges" on the bottom to work with
    a stirrup iron that they designed to keep your heel down.
    My trainer thinks they are very unsafe b/c of the ridges so, those are my back-up paddocks.
    Just out of curiosity - why does your trainer think the ridges are unsafe? I recently bought a pair of their field boots that have them (not planning on getting the special stirrup pads, though!) so now I'm wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    Just out of curiosity - why does your trainer think the ridges are unsafe? I recently bought a pair of their field boots that have them (not planning on getting the special stirrup pads, though!) so now I'm wondering.
    I own the same boots and ride many different horses each day in different saddles and irons, and I have NEVER had an issue! i am saving my pennies for the Mountain Horse Supreme high boots , and I am pretty sure they have the same ridges on the bottom of the soles.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

i think the safety issue is that there's too much tread to them? in other words if you need to get your foot out of the stirrup quickly it's going to take longer? i could be wrong.

I have a pair of Grand Prix lace-up paddock boots that are several years old (I can't even remember how many) and still look brand new. I really like this brand of boot, and they lasted longer than my Ariats.
    My old Ariat Heritage boots lasted about one year with daily riding of mulitple horses, and, interestingly, galloping racehorses.

i had mountain horses for about 5 years but i was very harsh on them, and i'm positive that they'd have lasted twice as long if i didn't abuse them. i've replaced them with ariats and those i am trying to take very good care, of and so far they're holding up very well. no real wear that i can see other than obviously being nice and soft and comfy.

i definitely recommend either, both were equally comfortable.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by hellerkm View Post
    I own the same boots and ride many different horses each day in different saddles and irons, and I have NEVER had an issue! i am saving my pennies for the Mountain Horse Supreme high boots , and I am pretty sure they have the same ridges on the bottom of the soles.
    That's good to hear! I could _maybe_ see the issue w/ the stirrup pads they go w/, but I'm pretty sure that backward movement isn't at all impaired by the ridges, so I'm still not sure how that'd be unsafe.

I haven't had mine for long, but the couple times I've ridden in them, I haven't noticed the ridges being more grippy than any other soles!

My trainer is sort of a safety freak about things (nothing wrong with that). She thinks the boots have too much tread in them and could get my foot stuck in the stirrup, honestly the tread is not my favorite- I really don't understand the concept.

I have a pair of the MH front zip paddocks. They do wear like iron. I have had them 2 years now, and I wear them in everything - mud, muck, abrasive sand, to bathe, etc.

When I purchased mine I was told that the tread on the Mountain Horse boot prevents your foot from slipping forward in the iron, allowing you to easily remove your foot from the iron or, in case you are tossed, your foot will naturally fall out of the iron with no resistance.

They also said that the tread is great for any who jumps. It keeps your foot in place saving you valuable seconds between jumps when you are usually trying to get your foot back into the proper position for the next jump.

I love mine, and am sure they work best when used with the matching stirrup pad, although I admit that I usually use cheese grater pads because that is what I had before the boots and they are a pain in the butt to get out. I have ridden in a friend's saddle that had the pads in her irons and my foot did not feel "trapped" in any way.

My trainer is also REALLY traditional and doesn't believe in using things like treads on stirrups, sit-tite, etc. etc. So that's why she doesnt like the treads.

There are a lot of people who have had quality issues with the newer Ariats, and Ariat doesn't seem to care much. I have a pair that are 3 years old, though I only rode in them for maybe 2 years, a couple times a week, and only one or maybe two horses a day. They were not the super-cheap ones, and they are almost shot. They have had no real amount of tread on the soles for a long time, to the point where I cannot keep stirrups on my feet without cheese grater pads. If I put my heel down in normal rubber pads, my feet slip all around.

They are also not terribly comfortable to wear for too awful long. I used to be able to wear my Ariats all day long, but not these. They are the same footbed as my old Ariat boots.

The next time I buy paddocks, which is going to be sometime this year, I am going to buy the Mountain Horse boots. They are supposed to wear much better, and they are in the same price range. You can find discontinued models for less than $100 if you look around some.

I have a new pair of Ariat paddock boots (got them in Sept.) and have had no problems with them - been wearing them to the barn 3-4x a week, no issues. Super comfy, broke in fast too! I also have a relatively new pair of the Challenge IIs (got them last spring) and have had no issues (although breaking in was horrible). Can't go wrong with Ariat, imo, as far as comfort, convenience and durability go. I have a pair of Ovation paddock boots too but they are just *not* comfy.

I have the Ariat Performer Pro Cobalts, and I have annihilated them! However, they HAVE been doing their job for 6 years now, and have held up incredibly well with my benign neglect So, I give a plug for them!

I just ordered a pair of Mountain Horse Celines today as my POS Ariats that are only approximately 2 yrs old have pretty much disintegrated. I will post with a review once I receive them and take them for a spin.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

I have the Ariat Heritage IIs but this time I went for the laces. My original pair of Ariats had laces (from before there were zippers!) and lasted 9 years!!! When they finally died, I decided to go for the zippers, but one zipper broke within the first year, and I only ride about 3 times a week. I heard of many others having problems with the zippers as well, so this time I went back to laces. I love them, and I don't know why, but laces are just more comfortable when I ride. I feel like my ankle can flex more easily, but who knows, maybe I'm just weird! Also, I don't think they really take much more time to put on. They have those hook style laces (instead of holes) at the top, so I just leave mine double knotted and slip the laces over the hooks when I put them on. Super quick!