The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Un-Effing believable...

... _. ._ .._. .._

Oh My Gosh.

Words fail me.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

That incident was just so sad.

You know..... I hate to say it but I wonder if the decision will embolden the sabs even more. I'm sure they were just thrilled that the man was killed.

Yup - looking at the comments I can see that the US is not the only country with sickos in it.

Please tell me the family can pursue this further. Civil court? What can/do they do in the UK?

It always amazes me that people who say their only vested interest in an issue is to protect the slaughter of animals feel fine about the slaughter of people in pursuit.

Shocking. I feel for his family.

Well, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, given that you can go to jail in the UK for defending yourself...not always a rational justice system. But damn. It'll only be a matter of time before they see what else they can get away with--horse-tripping, maybe?

Wow. Just wow.
    <<Reste sur le cheval.>>

Pro Tip: Don't stand in front of operating aircraft on a public airstrip and attempt to block someone from engaging in a lawful flight, and you won't get hit with a spinning propeller.

Likewise, I had better not hear about a hunt supporter getting hauled into court because he ran over a sab jumping in front of his Landie.

Once again, I am completely p*ssied OFF at all self righteous idiots in Britain that feel they can trespass, destroy private property, physically attack people and interfere with lawful activities because of the "righteousness" of their chosen cause. I am sick of it, whether it involves squatters, GM crop busting, foxhunting or Islamic antics.

This doesn't happen in the States because the idiots would get shot. An armed society is a polite and orderly society. Britain is becoming a Thug-ocracy.

Not really... there are very specific rules about who and when you can shoot. Pretty much they have to be in your house and dead. ie, unable to testify against you.

The "tresspassers will be shot" signs are a load of hooey. You can't shoot someone if they are on your property even if they are being aggressive. They have to physically enter your home. I've been advised by a cop that if I ever shoot an intruder on my doorstep, #1 make sure he's dead, and #2, make sure he falls inside the house and not outside

The only exception is if you shoot in self defense to literally save your own life.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mark View Post
    Pro Tip: Don't stand in front of operating aircraft on a public airstrip and attempt to block someone from engaging in a lawful flight, and you won't get hit with a spinning propeller.

Ă„ircraft are "operating" when being refueled ?

Disused WWII airfield.

Lawful flight - REALLY ??

You will only get hit with a spinning propeller when the bastard flying the thing, starts the engine and runs the damned thing in to you.

Not really gross negligence - more like murder, and the bastard deserves to swing. http://worldbbnews.com/2010/03/17/ho...th-gyrocopter/
    Last edited by Equibrit; Mar. 18, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The operator of the aircraft said he feared for his life. Just from reading the article it didn't sound like he was attacked, or beaten, or any attempt was made to pull him from the copter. That would make a better arguement for what he did.

Without a physical attack of some kind, I think he committed murder.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

I'm just sick about this. It was outright murder.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    Not really... there are very specific rules about who and when you can shoot. Pretty much they have to be in your house and dead. ie, unable to testify against you.

The "tresspassers will be shot" signs are a load of hooey. You can't shoot someone if they are on your property even if they are being aggressive. They have to physically enter your home. I've been advised by a cop that if I ever shoot an intruder on my doorstep, #1 make sure he's dead, and #2, make sure he falls inside the house and not outside

The only exception is if you shoot in self defense to literally save your own life.
    THIS depends on which state you live in. In Florida they don't have to actually be inside your home...and you don't have to prove they had the means the kill you. There is a lot more lea way in some state laws than in others. If I am accosted in my yard by an armed person and I feel my life (or another family member's life) is in danger I can shoot him. I cannot, however just shoot someone crossing my yard. They call these laws "castle laws" Meaning that a man's home is his castle and you'd better respect that.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by Major Mark View Post

Likewise, I had better not hear about a hunt supporter getting hauled into court because he ran over a sab jumping in front of his Landie.

Once again, I am completely p*ssied OFF at all self righteous idiots in Britain that feel they can trespass, destroy private property, physically attack people and interfere with lawful activities because of the "righteousness" of their chosen cause. I am sick of it, whether it involves squatters, GM crop busting, foxhunting or Islamic antics.

This doesn't happen in the States because the idiots would get shot. An armed society is a polite and orderly society. Britain is becoming a Thug-ocracy.
    Riiiight....America is crime-free, then, seeing as you have the right to bear arms?

Makes me very very glad the US has strong property rights and hunter harassment laws.

No offense against our Commonwealth and UK cousins, but that Right to Roam stuff would never fly here.

And while I strongly support a persons right to protest (including protesting hunting) hunter harassment statutes can help keep everyone in their corners.

But I guess we settled that difference of opinion long ago.

I cannot imagine what the dead man's family is going through - they must be devastated by the decision. First to lose him so tragically and publicly - relive it constantly, then this final insult to his memory.

Very sad no matter which side of the fence you're on, that's for sure.

Equibrit - when I was a kid we used to play on WWII airstrips and we really loved to play in bunkers. Clubs would use the airstrips to fly their radio controlled helicopters and planes.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I cannot imagine what the dead man's family is going through - they must be devastated by the decision. First to lose him so tragically and publicly - relive it constantly, then this final insult to his memory.

Very sad no matter which side of the fence you're on, that's for sure.
    I couldn't agree more with you, JS.

I find it abhorrent when others appropriate this horrific story for political grandstanding, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Romany View Post
    I find it abhorrent when others appropriate this horrific story for political grandstanding, however.
    Politicians seem awfully fond of doing that which makes me retch a little. (ok, a lot)

In the end though, what his death seems to have done is just entrench hatred, loathing and intolerance. Which makes it even more senseless and tragic. (especially when placed into context of UK law, history and politics).

Maybe I'm naive but I never fail to be astonished by the vitriol, hatred, violence, and frothy spewing of the anti-hunting/hunt sabs in the UK. And that it is tolerated, even endorsed or applauded- well.... I simply don't get it.

Some of this stuff is worse than protests at the G-8.

I think the main event is yet to happen. There is an election coming up, and if the Conservative Party win, they have pledged to repeal the offending hunt ban. I would imagine ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE AT THAT TIME.

There is SO much more than animal cruelty mixed up in all this. Ill conceived and firmly entrenched class attitudes have a lot to do with it. Unfortunately those attitudes are perpetuated by politicans and the mass media in order to further their pursuit of money and power. Unfortunately it is probably going to end badly; this is the first time in my life that I have ever been ashamed of my native country.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Snip, snip.

There is SO much more than animal cruelty mixed up in all this. Ill conceived and firmly entrenched class attitudes have a lot to do with it. Unfortunately those attitudes are perpetuated by politicans and the mass media in order to further their pursuit of money and power.
    Snip,snip..
    That seems ,to me , to be the main problem.

P.S. As I read the laws of my state, if someone jumps over my fence and just runs across my property I'm not allowed to just shoot him, nor would I . But my hounds are free to tear him apart.

P.P.S. I have 2 6/10 Greyhounds. Two retired racers and six Italian Greyhounds.
    My horse is a "Hare-Brained Controvert".

I cant believe the SAB walked away scot free I dont think it was intentional murder but good grief talk about gross negligence.
    how awful for his family and warwichshiire hunt.