The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jointed v. Regular Stirrup Irons

Decided on a whim to make a switch from my jointed Sprenger knock offs to my regular irons last night.

I could not believe the difference in how quiet and still my leg felt in comparison.

It was like all of a sudden I was no longer struggling to keep my lower leg from wiggling around and I definietly did not feel the tendency to pinch with my left knee, which has been my eq problem of late.

Is this just me, or has anyone else had this experience?
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Yep... my experience too! I used the jointed knock off's for years. Switched last year to regular irons.

I feel like my lower leg is more quiet and stable.

I just made the same switch, although from the Sprenger 4 way jointed stirrups and the only difference I noticed was the extreme pain in my shins and ankles. That only lasted for the first 20 minutes, now I don't notice and I am still riding in the traditional irons. I think the Sprengers were a bit more comfortable though.

I switched last week to some regular irons with the wide foot. I LOVE them! I feel like I have a more secure base. I don't think I will ever go back.

GM would be so proud of our return to the basics!

Bellboots- did you try one of the Royal Rider types? Did you find the wide foot bed made a large difference?

I was eyeing the Royal Rider angled stirrups with the wide footbed earlier today...but I am wary because I am so committed to my Super Comfort Pads and they only come with a regular or cheese grater option it seems?
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Well- maybe i'll switch back again too. The reason I went with jointed is that I broke one ankle and it is not as flexy as the other. The flex irons seemed to make it easier to get that one heel down! It was quite noticiable with regular irons before, that one heel was higher than the other and less so with the flex irons-but maybe it's time to try again.

I also feel that my leg is a bit more stable and less swingy when I ride in my regular stirrups, as opposed to when I have sat in other people's saddles with jointed stirrups.

My ultimate favorite stirrups though are the Royal Rider ones, with a tiny bit of flex. Not anywhere near the jointed stirrups, just a bit of an extra bend as opposed to plain metal. I didn't mind that they were cheesegrater either-I think they were the best and most 'comfy' stirrups I've ever ridden in! Now that I'm not riding as regularly I have no real reason to buy them, but it was the best 6 months ever when I was lent a pair .

I'm so glad you posted this!! I was JUST asking my trainer about getting jointed irons this morning. I experience some mild knee pain when riding and wondered if the jointed irons would help.. and she said that it tends to make your leg unstable and swing forward! Glad to hear from others that this CAN and DOES happen... that would be a big problem for me! lol

I'd also be curious to hear other's thoughts on the Royal Rider's...

Sorry I am sticking with the jointed.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

I love riding in my Royal Rider flexi stirrups. They bend just enough so that my knees and ankles get relief(I have a "bad" knee) but not to where my leg is unstable. I don't notice that much of a difference between the regular fillis and the RR's except I can ride longer with less pain afterwords in the RR's. As far as jointed stirrups go, I haven't ridden in any I like; they all bend too much!

I was wondering about this in my lesson yesterday. I got a pair of flex-stirrups for Christmas which I had asked for and I've been struggling with my lower leg ever since. Almost braceing against them rather than sinking down and around the horse. Mentioned it to the trainer, but she thinks I just need to get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
    I was wondering about this in my lesson yesterday. I got a pair of flex-stirrups for Christmas which I had asked for and I've been struggling with my lower leg ever since. Almost braceing against them rather than sinking down and around the horse. Mentioned it to the trainer, but she thinks I just need to get used to them.
    my trainer told me just wait and I would get used to them... but I went back.. my ankles didnt feel any better in the flex..

I was having issues with shooting pain in my knees and ankles when I rode... When I would dismount, I would take a few stagger steps to try to walk it out and not fall over. I stopped riding for a while, and when I came back, I got the Sprenger knockoffs. No pain since. I don't feel like my leg is moving anymore than it did with the regular irons.

Interesting. I have the Sprengers, and I really like them...I haven't had the problem of feeling my leg go forward, but maybe back.

I may have to try the old irons again - but I do feel like they make it easier for me to wrap my leg.

So funny to read this!

I rode in the Sprenger 4-ways for the last 3 years and struggled on and off to keep my leg closer to the girth, heel down, etc. I looked at my old show photos in regular irons and realized my leg position actually looked better. Took off the 4-ways and have ridden in fillis irons as well as Royal Riders for the last month. My trainer didn't realize I made the switch, but was commenting on my leg being more secure.

Downside is that I had significantly more stiffness in my ankles and calves, my ankles are popping more and they just feel more "tense" out of the saddle.

So pick your poison...it's a trade-off!

Spud&Saf -

I got the Equi Wing ones in the aluminum (not black). I was skeptical at first, but the wide foot beds are the best part! I have been having trouble feeling like my stirrup was never in the "right" place - as in feel, not actual location. The wider area gives more foot support.

They come with regular pads and cheese grater pads and they don't flex. For some reason, the cheese grater pads work better than the ones on my flex stirrups (more area, I guess). The Farm House was one of the few places that had them in aluminum AND they had the best price + free shipping.

I ride in the HS stirrups. I'm quite proud of my stable lower leg both on the flat and over fences. No issues for me...

I've been riding for over 50 years and it has taken a toll on my knees and ankles. The jointed stirrups make a huge difference in my riding comfort.

yes! however it is also painful, so i just can't. i hop on other peoples horses frequently and half the time their stirrups are reg fillis. okay, this is alright for 10 minutes but after that my knees make me feel like i'm 60, not 18 (i have r. arthritis and it is terrible in my knees)

so, while i definitely feel like my leg is more secure in fillis irons, i can't actually manage to keep them that way for more than 10 minutes because it gets terribly painful. so, i'm stuck with jointed irons for my life.

i still dont feel like i'm being hindered with the jointed stirrups. it takes more to keep my leg still on my tb who likes to crack his back sometimes, but i have managed pretty well to keep it still and secure
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I most definitely agree! Although the jointed irons do help with the joint pain, my leg wiggles around more and that isn't terribly helpful in the equitation lol. I also noticed that I would over-flex my heel in those, to the point where sometimes my foot would fall out of the iron.
    "It's about the horse and that's it" - George Morris

I HATE HATE HATE HATE the jointed stirrups. Hate to ride in them. Hate the way it makes people brace and pinch. Have switched many of my customers from them back to regular irons and they all agree it was the right thing to do for their leg position. HATE THEM!
    Lesley M. Jenks
    Finally Farm ~ Located at Yates Mill Farm
    Raleigh, NC
    www.finallyfarmnc.com