The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for kid-size western saddle for horse?

I am looking for a small kid size western saddle that will fit or at least not annoy and pinch my 15.2 arab. Any ideas? My horse loves to give kids a ride, but I would feel better if the kids at least had a horn and a saddle that fit them-and him. I have my eye open for a small wintec or something. Any ideas? Thanks!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

You might find something here:

http://www.westernsaddle.com/youthchildren1.html
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Check Ebay for Youth saddles. Size of kids, will make your seat choices for you. My skinny son rode a 13" seat until he was about 14 yrs. Short, under 115 pounds, with almost no hips. I got a second pair of fenders to allow his long legs to fit, original pair would not extend any more as he aged. Just changed them back to short fenders for DD later on. Actually her legs did not reach the bottom of the saddle skirts for a long time, stirrups were no help! I held her on while husband or son led the old horse. Not strong enough to hold herself on when that small. DD could only ride that same saddle until about age 10yrs, much more rounded figure. Saddle was a Billy Royal brand which is a good one, had a semi-QH tree that fit the old Western horse very well. I think I paid about $350, sold it for about $450. Was in very good condition, good quality leather, nice silver trim.

Lots of small kids showing now, whose parents will pay for the nice saddles that fit kid and horse. Those saddles come up for resale pretty often as the kids grow. Tiny seat size would be an 11 inch, up to larger seat at 13-14 inches. When I was a kid, a 14-15 inch seat was what the adults used!

If your Arab horse had good wither clearance, a nice thick western pad, probably most of the youth saddles would work pretty well. Kids light weight is not going to sore him up with that padding underneath them.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I still have my daughter's 12 1/2 inch western show saddle. She rode it in from age 2 to 11 - and then had a growth spurt and could fit into my adult saddles, so I didn't have to buy an in-between size. I tried to sell it a few times at tack/tag sales, but I don't mind hanging onto it, maybe my grandchildren will want to ride (many moons from now of course!).
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    I still have my daughter's 12 1/2 inch western show saddle. She rode it in from age 2 to 11 - and then had a growth spurt and could fit into my adult saddles, so I didn't have to buy an in-between size. I tried to sell it a few times at tack/tag sales, but I don't mind hanging onto it, maybe my grandchildren will want to ride (many moons from now of course!).
    Too much leather to keep up here, to keep an unused saddle. Selling the little saddle allowed me to get a good English saddle for the DD to jump with. Not likely to have any grandkids for years yet! Better to let some other kids enjoy the saddle. Saddles stay in better shape with use, like old horses in work stay sounder!