The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

My biggest rant is Not responding to inquiries - if you're selling a horse, please return calls/emails..

Quote Originally Posted by Catomine View Post
    I wish the sellers in my area had this mentality! Not being upfront and honest wastes BOTH of our times- I'm not going to miraculously change my needs (which I made VERY apparent in the phone call) because I just drove 3 hours! I'm going to be PISSED and just want to go home!

I too am also amazed at the lack of willingness for people to get recent photos or videos of their horse. 'You're going to have to give me a few days to get pictures, I'm busy' just makes me walk away and forget about it. Don't bother- I'm a serious buyer and I'm spending enough money that I think I should be treated as a buyer a little bit better, I'm not just buying an OTTB right off the track. I would never dream of being so callous if I needed to sell.

Sometimes I wonder if people really want to sell their horses. Don't make me drive 6 hours to see a 16.1hh horse who as soon as he gets off the trailer is CLEARLY not an inch over 15.2!! (And filthy, to add. I just drove over 400 miles and you can't even BRUSH HIM?!) ps: horse looked gorgeous in the video, was told it was RECENT so I trusted it, but when I got there, the story changed to 'oh that video was from 2007'. That is not recent people!!!

Sorry, I could go on. Horse shopping has NOT been fun for me this time around. I feel like there are slim-pickins these days.
    Interesting, considering I had set you up with a professional in your area that you had a set time to meet, and she had set up at least five horses for you to see - wasting much of her time, yet you didn't have to courtesy to call her and let her know that you would not be coming. Oh, right, you "left a message" - and then you never bothered to call back and explain your change of situation. It goes both ways - as a buyer you should extend courtesy as well. Other people's time is just as valuable as your own.

Sorry--I've held my tounge through a lot of your comments, but this really irks me. Ranting and raving, yet don't extend the same basic respect for others that you expect. A simple phone call would have been nice considering she had put a lot of time and effort into setting up appointments for you- time that could have been spent on other people who were going to show up.

I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Interesting, considering I had set you up with a professional in your area that you had a set time to meet, and she had set up at least five horses for you to see - wasting much of her time, yet you didn't have to courtesy to call her and let her know that you would not be coming. Oh, right, you "left a message" - and then you never bothered to call back and explain your change of situation. It goes both ways - as a buyer you should extend courtesy as well. Other people's time is just as valuable as your own.

Sorry--I've held my tounge through a lot of your comments, but this really irks me. Ranting and raving, yet don't extend the same basic respect for others that you expect. A simple phone call would have been nice considering she had put a lot of time and effort into setting up appointments for you- time that could have been spent on other people who were going to show up.

I'm done.
    Oh, so people should STOP! DROP! and ROLL! to make a video for her but then someone sets up five appointments and she doesn't keep them?

Well isn't that interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post

I'm done.
    Well I apologize if it came across that way, but it was NOT the case, I hadn't even confirmed with her to come up! (I was to speak with her on Monday I believe to confirm and further learn about the horses she had). And I did call her, the weather was NOT permitting that day and we had plenty of warning about the bad weather all weekend. Left a message for her, sorry I didn't blow up her phone to make sure she got it. There was no 'change of situation' on my part, just bad weather and no, I did not follow up to reschedule with her as I was busy the rest of the week. You don't seem to know the whole situation, but I apologize if I seem ungrateful, but I'm not.

Not making excuses or trying to be ungrateful, just making the facts of the situation known! God..
    But George Morris still wears rust-colored breeches- so can I!

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Oh, so people should STOP! DROP! and ROLL! to make a video for her but then someone sets up five appointments and she doesn't keep them?

Well isn't that interesting.
    Um ,since when did it become five appointments? I didn't KEEP them because I'm not interested in riding in a monsoon. I called her to let her know I wasn't coming, she didn't answer, so I simply left a voicemail again. Sorry if you think that's rude, but I just think it's common sense. Didn't know I needed to call a million times to make SURE she checks her voicemails. Not her secretary.
    But George Morris still wears rust-colored breeches- so can I!

Catomine- You're acting like a twit.

When someone makes a date to meet with a professional- and per the PM you sent me, you were going on Tuesday to meet her, (do you need me to send it back to you to refresh your memory?) The professional has to make appointments with the individuals selling the horses for you to come see them. This takes time- and isn't done the day before...

Additionally, after you failed to show on the day you had made an appointment (and yes, I did hear that the weather was bad that day) you later PM'd me (after I asked you what happened) and said that your situation had changed and you were going to buy the lease horse- (do you need me to send that one to you as well?) You asked me if you should let professional know, and I told you that yes you should. To this date she has not heard from you. You also stated that the Voicemail message where you left your "cancelation message" was simply a phone number, and yes, in that situation I would extend another courtesy phone call to make certain that the person had got my message. FWIW - Profesional's voicemail has a personal message, and she did not get your message-so you called a wrong number or did not ever make said phone call. When I asked her about the situation her comment was simply-"it's frustrating when people waste your time."

My point was simply that you get all upset about others wasting your time, and not being courteous to you- yet you don't extend that same level of respect to others. In addition- you continue to complain about the quality of horses in your area, yet when you had the opportunity to look at quality horses in your price range, this is how you acted. I'm just tired of your rants and raves, and have held my tounge, but this one set me over the edge. I really just wish I had never bothered to help you in your horse search.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Default Emily Post

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2007 View Post
    I think someone should write a horse selling and buying etiquette book! They could be the Emily Post of the horse world.

I recently was shopping for two AO hunters and it was SUCH a headache. I am forever grateful that I had my trainer to weed out bunches and bunches of horses (commission is well earned IMO) I agree with the person who said it is harder when you know exactly what you are looking for. I didn't think that my criteria was that picky, but perhaps it was: at least 16'2, perhaps would look at a big bodied 16'1 horse (I'm tall and ALL leg, and while I am not overweight, I am by no means a stick person either. 145lbs at 5'8.), has a season in the juniors or AO's under their belt and a season in the first years or second years is a bonus, could care less about color, one of them had to be an excellent mover.

People never cease to amaze me these days! We went to look at one horse that was advertised to us as 16'1 and big bodied. Video was hard to tell how big it was becuase the person riding was pretty small (and this was at a BNT barn). After my trainer stressed the size criteria and was reassured that the horse was 16'1 big bodied, we made the trip. Got there and it was AT MOST 15'2 on a good day. And then it was, "well since you are here you should sit on it". I looked like an overgrown kid trying to get one more season out of their large pony. rediculous. I also got thrown on an eq horse that "could go in the hunter ring". Well sure, anything can GO in the hunter ring. "But it's been to all the finals!"

I have many other stories but I have gone a bit off topic!

OP: I tried to remind myself to be patient and keep looking at anything and everything. Something will turn up.
    I did and it was posted on the editorial page of this very publication several years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Catomine View Post
    Um ,since when did it become five appointments? I didn't KEEP them because I'm not interested in riding in a monsoon. I called her to let her know I wasn't coming, she didn't answer, so I simply left a voicemail again. Sorry if you think that's rude, but I just think it's common sense. Didn't know I needed to call a million times to make SURE she checks her voicemails. Not her secretary.
    If somebody has negotiated with a couple of owners and carved time out of their day to show you multiple horses, then monsoon schmonsoon.

Put a rain coat on and suck it up.

I typically feel buyers are more flaky in general than sellers (maybe thats just me). In general as long as you ask the right questions and see some good pics/vid then the drive out is usually not wasted. Now I will say I did go on one horse shopping excursion (3 day trek across country) and one of the places I went to was very disappointing. They came off as professional- some good info, pics and video with a decent website and good references, but being there in person was totally different. They hadn't brought the horse into the barn (big pet peeve of mine!), so we had to go out into the pasture to catch it. Let me rephrase that, TRY to catch it. Things just went down hill from there.

Now on the other hand, as a seller, I have dealt with far more flaky buyers. I have had lots of no shows (usually about 10-20% of the time), several "Surprise" visits (not as annoying but I feel unprepared and the horse has inevitably rolled in some mud right before they arrive), and a few times I have had people ask about making PPE arrangements and talk about contracts then drop off the face of the planet. Even funnier are the people who argue with you about your horse. I try to be as upfront as possible but I get some weird conversations (usually someone falls in love with the horse's picture but can't understand why the horse isn't suitable for a 3 year old).