The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think a lot of people could benefit from this book. I have kind of begun the search for a warmblood/wb cross, something that can take me into the show ring and help move me up, doesnt have to be a made packer, dont mind working on some stuff but something a bit different than the hot tb mares I've had. And something that isnt going to break the bank! Recently called someone about a nice horse under 10k, mid conversation I was told "not sure what price you saw on the add but she is now well over 10k" whhhaaatt? update your ad's people, and how does a horse jump $4,000 in that amount of time?
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by luckyduck View Post
    Guess it depends on where you look and how willing the people are to get you the video you want to see.

I know if someone e-mails me on one of my horses and they want a fresh video....I pull out the flip....go video what they would like to see and get the e-mail back to them within a matter of a half hour. (If daylight allows)

I'm trying to sell my horse and most people are NOT driving distance away....I am going to try and make them as comfortable as possible before they make the choice to come.
    We use a flip too- convenient aren't they! I agree about trying to make people as comfortable as possible and giving them as much as possible as far as information, pictures and videos of the horse in question before they make the commitment to come out and see it. I've found in past, that because they have already seen price, pictures, videos etc. they come to "confirm" the right fit, rather than come and find a surprise!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

I'm looking for a smallish mare for a kid to move up off a pony - needs to be dead honest to the jumps, quiet to handle, inexpensive and that's about it. So if any 16.1 hand geldings turn out to be small mares, let me know!

I saw one ad that looked to be the perfect horse. The ad said to search "Horse Name" under youtube for videos. Of the 3 videos, in one the horse spooked and the kid fell off, in the second the horse was jumping through a small grid and ran out, and in the third video, of a tiny jumper round at a show, the caption read, "i trotted most of the jumps so she wouldn't stop."

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    We use a flip too- convenient aren't they! I agree about trying to make people as comfortable as possible and giving them as much as possible as far as information, pictures and videos of the horse in question before they make the commitment to come out and see it. I've found in past, that because they have already seen price, pictures, videos etc. they come to "confirm" the right fit, rather than come and find a surprise!
    I wish the sellers in my area had this mentality! Not being upfront and honest wastes BOTH of our times- I'm not going to miraculously change my needs (which I made VERY apparent in the phone call) because I just drove 3 hours! I'm going to be PISSED and just want to go home!

I too am also amazed at the lack of willingness for people to get recent photos or videos of their horse. 'You're going to have to give me a few days to get pictures, I'm busy' just makes me walk away and forget about it. Don't bother- I'm a serious buyer and I'm spending enough money that I think I should be treated as a buyer a little bit better, I'm not just buying an OTTB right off the track. I would never dream of being so callous if I needed to sell.

Sometimes I wonder if people really want to sell their horses. Don't make me drive 6 hours to see a 16.1hh horse who as soon as he gets off the trailer is CLEARLY not an inch over 15.2!! (And filthy, to add. I just drove over 400 miles and you can't even BRUSH HIM?!) ps: horse looked gorgeous in the video, was told it was RECENT so I trusted it, but when I got there, the story changed to 'oh that video was from 2007'. That is not recent people!!!

Sorry, I could go on. Horse shopping has NOT been fun for me this time around. I feel like there are slim-pickins these days.
    But George Morris still wears rust-colored breeches- so can I!

Default buying-selling-marketing book

Actually, I'm in the process of writing just such a book (born largely out of the same frustrations y'all are expressing!)
    I'd love to have feedback from intelligent horse people. If you are interested in reading it once it's a little more complete, esp if you'll offer feedback, please shoot me a pm.

This is a great shot in the arm to write more--as nice as the weather has been I've been doing much more ridin' than writin'!
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I have to say though. I'm a 23 year old computer literate just out of college kid and it wasn't until 2 summers ago that our then 3 year old out of date website got re-furbished, because I was tired of seeing pictures of weanlings that were now 3! It took me an entire summer, but I taught myself to do web design and code. I can understand the frustrations on the buyers side (been there myself several times) but I can also understand the difficulties on the breeder/owners side to get proper video/pictures without charging an arm and a leg.

Because of this, I'm hoping to offer my services (albeit amateur ones) to fellow breeders in my area to come out and photograph and video their young horses only for the cost of gas. I've got the time now and just thought it would be a good way to meet breeders in the area.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Flash44,

That is some good Sherlock Holmesing. I love it. Sorry the horse didn't work out, but so glad you found out BEFORE you bought it, rather than after.

I do not have problems buying horses. I have problems NOT buying them! And with all of the great people on this board with horses for sale, and all of the people apparently looking for horses to buy... you guys really need to get together, is all I'm saying. Did you notice COTH set up a horses wanted ad? Go place your ads!

An amateur in California once placed an ad in the Horse Trader when she was looking for a prospect. It stated the age range, size range, ability, maximum price, stated the horse would have to go on trial at trainer X's barn for one week. She had people send the horses' resumes and videos in to a PO box, and noted, "no phone calls, please." She was a business person and the ad read like an employment ad. I thought that was clever.

Hope your horse search is productive soon.
    Last edited by Justice; Mar. 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: apostrophes

Quote Originally Posted by Catomine View Post
    I too am also amazed at the lack of willingness for people to get recent photos or videos of their horse. 'You're going to have to give me a few days to get pictures, I'm busy'
    A few days is too long for you?

That's a little princessy.

The last time I was selling a horse he had four very nice pictures and a video up on the internet. People of course wanted more. Or they wanted 'a head shot', despite the fact that his head was clearly visible in every picture of him and every video. And so on.

Well, I worked in Manhattan 5 days a week, a hour commute from my apartment, and the barn was another hour commute from my apartment. So sorry, if the pictures already available of the horse aren't good enough, and you want new pics on a Wednesday, you might need to wait till Saturday.

Some people, you know, have jobs.

I took an Equine Buying and Selling class at my Alma mater William Woods University. This would have been an an excellant course for any horse person or professional to take as a stand alone class. The marketing tactics taught were nearly opposite of the things you see on Craigs List and Utube. I think to myself when I see some of those videos on Utube, "Really if this horse was a huge investment to you and a sense of pride could you have atleast cleaned him up. If you were selling your home you would have atleast staged that for the sale to put your best foot forward."
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    A few days is too long for you?

That's a little princessy.

The last time I was selling a horse he had four very nice pictures and a video up on the internet. People of course wanted more. Or they wanted 'a head shot', despite the fact that his head was clearly visible in every picture of him and every video. And so on.

Well, I worked in Manhattan 5 days a week, a hour commute from my apartment, and the barn was another hour commute from my apartment. So sorry, if the pictures already available of the horse aren't good enough, and you want new pics on a Wednesday, you might need to wait till Saturday.

Some people, you know, have jobs.
    Nope. They were professionals. Horses ARE their jobs. 5-6 days to get a pic up when you KNOW they're at the barn all day every day? Please.

I say get some pics up FIRST when you originally post the ad. If you really want to sell. Or I'm not going to waste MY time either.

Good luck selling with that mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Flash44,

That is some good Sherlock Holmesing. I love it. Sorry the horse didn't work out, but so glad you found out BEFORE you bought it, rather than after.

I do not have problems buying horses. I have problems NOT buying them! And with all of the great people on this board with horses for sale, and all of the people apparently looking for horses to buy... you guys really need to get together, is all I'm saying. Did you notice COTH set up a horses wanted ad? Go place your ads!

An amateur in California once placed an ad in the Horse Trader when she was looking for a prospect. It stated the age range, size range, ability, maximum price, stated the horse would have to go on trial at trainer X's barn for one week. She had people send the horses' resumes and videos in to a PO box, and noted, "no phone calls, please." She was a business person and the ad read like an employment ad. I thought that was clever.

Hope your horse search is productive soon.
    I thought of doing that, but saw only one girl had posted and no one had responded! (Unless they Pm'ed her, which is quite possible).

It can be a very frustrating process! I don't so much mind sellers that take a few days to put up photos or video, but the ones who continually say it is coming and a month goes by!

I think there are still sellers out there who are leery of internet inquiries and prefer word-of-mouth referrals, telephone inquiries, etc. Even if they put up an ad, they may not expect much to come of it and don't want to be bothered with video and photo beyond what they have done for the ad. Most people who have dealt with tire kickers via email can relate somewhat.

I agree that sellers should be honest, but sometimes even that doesn't work. I had a sweet gelding for sale who was fairly quiet, but not bombproof or for rank beginners. I told one potential buyer repeatedly that he was very responsive for aids, so you didn't have to "ask" much for things. He's not hot or sensitive, just responsive. The first time she went to ask for the trot she took her legs way off his sides and BOOTED him with her heels very hard and he let out a small buck. The girl's mother gave me a dirty look like I had been dishonest with them. Um, he'd never done that with me! Then again, I'd never felt the need to boot him full force for no reason either...The girl had a lovely ride on him for the rest of her ride and he went beautifully for her, but they were still angry about the small buck from the beginning.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

There was once a good thread on here about horse sales and I learned something from the thread that I keep in the back of my mind whenever I present horses for sale: "don't make excuses".

i.e- case: Video taken of the horse who is a bit fresh/ excuse: "He was a bit fresh the day we videoed"- take another video
    i.e- case: horse has an ugly head in the photo because of a bad angle: "The photo does not do him justice"- Keep taking photos until you are happy with the results

etc. etc.- buyers don't want to hear it. Have everything you can available before presenting the horse for sale- pics, video, information etc. Again, allow the buyer to make an educated decision based on what you give them and then allow them to "confirm" that decision when they see the horse in person.

Just my own marketing philosophy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    There was once a good thread on here about horse sales and I learned something from the thread that I keep in the back of my mind whenever I present horses for sale: "don't make excuses".

i.e- case: Video taken of the horse who is a bit fresh/ excuse: "He was a bit fresh the day we videoed"- take another video
    i.e- case: horse has an ugly head in the photo because of a bad angle: "The photo does not do him justice"- Keep taking photos until you are happy with the results

etc. etc.- buyers don't want to hear it. Have everything you can available before presenting the horse for sale- pics, video, information etc. Again, allow the buyer to make an educated decision based on what you give them and then allow them to "confirm" that decision when they see the horse in person.

Just my own marketing philosophy :-)
    BINGO. It cracks me up when I see excuses such as "picture does not do him justice". In the days of digital everything, it is SO EASY to take million pictures. I always figure that if they are posting such a picture it must do the horse *some* sort of justice, or they wouldn't post it. And then I wonder what the horse looks like in person.....

thathorse: I would love to read anything you have! I have much more experience buying as an ammy who has always had a trainer present, so I don't know how much info I could offer. But I love the idea of such a book!

[QUOTE=Flash44;4756735]I'm looking for a smallish mare for a kid to move up off a pony - needs to be dead honest to the jumps, quiet to handle, inexpensive and that's about it. So if any 16.1 hand geldings turn out to be small mares, let me know!

QUOTE]

Does it have to be a mare? Just curious. I have seen quite a few adds for the small horses who prob don't have the step for the small juniors, but would make excellent pre-childrens/children's horses!

As I market quite a lot, I do try to be proactive and have pics/videos ready to go. However, there are times that, even being a professional, I cannot whip a pic or video out, due to weather conditions (sorry no indoor) or not having a rider around (can't ride AND video at the same time!). Usually the LONGEST wait will be a week at most, i.e. you ask for another video of a pony and kid can't make it out to ride due to school til next saturday. I also try to keep things up to date on website, but again, uploading videos usually take me the better part of an hour to get off the camera, edited and uploaded to youtube, sometimes longer. FInding that hour might take me a day or so, especially as I am a more or less one man operation. I have to feed, turnout, groom, do stalls, change blankets, ride horses, teach lessons, do shows on weekends AND sell and market horses. Likewise I might have MANY MORE requests than just YOUR request to see more pics/video on a horse, so getting them all done takes time. However, most people are very happy with my fast turnaround on requests, answering calls and emails etc.

I've been on both sides of the fence here as a seller and now a buyer. I can understand not wanting to run right out and take a bunch more pictures for one random email when there are already 4 or 5 to see. BUT, at least give a buyer something to see. Having no pictures is kind of lazy and I won't even bother with them. And personally, I like a video before I drive more than 45 minutes to see something. Someone's opinion of a good mover could be different from mine.

It is annoying to have buyers ask stupid questions, request more and more photos when I have already posted at least 5 and videos. At that point, they can just come out and see the horse in person if they are serious, if not- they can stop wasting my time.

I could never have the patience to do this full-time! Good thing horses are my hobby and not my profession I could not deal with people full time like that..

I sell on a small scale, 1 at a time. I buy most of my horses unbroke. I rarely have a horse for more than a year and most go in 6 months. I don't advertise...no fliers, no on line adds, nothing. The professionals in my area know the type of horses I have and call me. I bring my horse to them, or meet them at an area they are comfortable. My horses are groomed show ready (short of braiding). I will say that Aiken has a HUGE influx of BNT in the winter, makes selling easier.
    That said...When I buy, I am beating the bushes. I often go to look at horses that are standing in a field, filthy, long feet.
    I am often expected to tromp through a pasture to get a closter look and only get to see the horse move as it is running away from me.
    Would they wash a car they were trying to sell?