The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone event in a Black Country Wexford?

I'm saddle shopping and recently tried the Black Country Tex Eventer (which I expected to like) and the Wexford. The Tex Eventer seemed to push me a bit forward over jumps. The Wexford was ever so comfortable on the flat and I did better over fences with it. Only problem was that when getting into jumping position, my butt sometimes hit the cantle of the saddle due to it having a deeper and less sloping seat than the Tex Eventer. Saddle fitter suggested ordering a half size larger in the seat to avoid that.

I currently ride in a Courbette Vision, but would like a saddle with a more comfortable seat. Prior to the Vision, I rode in a Stubben Siegfried. I really want a saddle now that is softer on the tush. Tried the County Innovation last year and really liked it but just couldn't bring myself to fork over $4k when my investments are looking bleak.

Any feedback on the Wexford? He did not have a Quantum to try. Any thoughts on that one?

Would appreciate any and all feedback as I've been in this saddle dilemma for over a year. I ride a 9 yo TB/Clyde cross with some withers and a flat back.

Thanks,

SD

PM Fleckenawesome and 3dazey - they both are happily using Wexfords.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

You could also try the Ricochet (new model by BC). It is basically a Quantum (more close contact) built on the Wexford tree. So, it has the feel of the Wexford but with a squared off cantle that might help.

You can order any Black Country seat with any Black Country tree and any Black Country flap, so yes, I suggest you try the Quantum and then combine the best features of all 3 saddles.

Hi!
    I just ordered the wexford and LOVE it!!! It's super comfy and my position is great XC and stadium. AND I feel like I can flat in it too. I bought the 17" seat cause I wanted the half-size smaller for my horse's back.

My only concern is that he might be unhappy with it. It fits him beautifully, but for some reason he's been a bit back sore. However, it also coincided with me upping his work after some time off due to previous back pain, and hock pain, and.... the first few rides were in HORRIBLE mud and muck, so... I'm not sure. However... it *might* sadly come up for sale...if you're interested. Hopefully not though! I figured that now that his hocks are done, we'll see how he does with it. It's soooo comfy for me and I do love it. The leather is gorgeous!

So...my fingers are crossed! Good luck with yours...

Oh, and on a side note... I also rode in the monoflap from BC and LOVED that one too!!! But for the extra price, I was going to stick with the wexford...though if that really does bother Fleck..the monoflap didn't, so....I'll maybe have to go to that. We'll see though.. I'm really hoping this one works! It should.

I have the BC Quantum and love it. Very comfortable to hack in, jump in and I do sometimes flat in it if I have to!
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

I had the Quantum, and it didn't suit me at all. I must have a funky tilt to my pelvis! I never could get really balanced, and fought w/ my leg position. The Wexford and Ricochet are great. I loved how I felt in both. The Wexford was my favorite. Unfortuneately, I have my heart set on a Stabilizer.

I ride in a Quantum and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually ride in a 17.5, and I bought an 18, which gives me plenty of room and no butt/cantle slapping!

Happy shopping.

Thumbs up Quantum fan

I love my BC Quantum. Especially the Serge panels (you have to order them custom). It is well built and miraculously allows me to be balanced in a jump position. Believe me that has taken some fitness on my part, but the flaps and rolls are comfortable and I never feel forced. It feels very natural for me to now allow my thigh to relax on the flaps and ride out of the tack for some time. I still cannot do this in several other well-known brands, so there must be something to it, eh? I have an average inseam and am 5'5". I have heard it is best to order a more forward flap if your thigh is long.

I originally found out about BC because my mare is a draft cross and I needed something to accomodate her wide, flat back. I did a good amount of research and have been pleased from day one. I would buy another without hesitation. The custom options are endless and the turn around and price can't be beat. I rode in a Wexford demo that was built with a square cantle and nubuck seat. Pure luxury!

I have the BC Tex Eventer and I love it !

Default Easyklc....

I sent you a PM

SD

For those that own the Wexford, do you find it a bit on the heavy side? I'm not used to my jumping saddles weighing that much, trying to decide if I like a saddle that weighs that much. The Quantum was the other suggested for me to try, does it weight less?

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    PM Fleckenawesome and 3dazey - they both are happily using Wexfords.
    Me too Me too!

Love mine. L.O.V.E. it. And I was anxious to try it on the reccommendation of FleckenAwesome, too. I couldn't be happier with it. Really locks you into a position, I find.

Though I had an opposite problem (not that it was a problem) with the seat size. I only needed a 17.5; typically my [ahem] ample behind gets popped with the cantle over fences if I ride in anything smaller than an 18". But everyone is built differently, and not everyone is so unfortunate to have my fanny
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    For those that own the Wexford, do you find it a bit on the heavy side? I'm not used to my jumping saddles weighing that much, trying to decide if I like a saddle that weighs that much. The Quantum was the other suggested for me to try, does it weight less?
    the saddle weight and size was an issue for me, though three good eventer buddies swear by the saddle. The Quantum is not as bulky...
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

You may like the monoflap then... its really lightweight and I LOVED it.... and I honestly thought I'd hate it!

Good luck!! Saddle shopping is a pain!!!

This winter I tried and ordered a Quantum. The Wexford didn't fit the horse anymore and it was time for me to "get off the sofa". Also needed a slightly more forward flap.

Truly, that Wexford was the most comfortable saddle I ever sat in and I would have kept it for eternity as my old-lady saddle, but DH was finally giving me the raised eyebrow over my saddle collection. I sent it to Trumbull for sale and it went out right away and sold that fast. I hope its new mother/father loves it as much as I did.

That said, the Quantum is a lighter saddle (weight-wise) with a flatter seat, which was the way to go right now. I am enjoying it, only have about 12 rides in it but as with every BC I've used, no break-in time and beautifully made.

No problems here, although previously we had used a Courbette Vision for quite a while (and that thing is really, really heavy).
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

The Wexford that I tried years ago had serge panels, and for reasons I don't totally understand, that really made a difference to the weight. It felt no heavier than the non-serge-panelled Quantum that I also had on trial.

A friend of mine has the monoflap and that is quite lightweight. I'd imagine a monoflap with serge panels would be feather-light!

carolinadreamin' - Just tried to send you a pm, but hit a wrong key - don't know if it went through or not. Curious to know if you have the Wexford or the Quantum. I also am currently riding in the Courbette Vision and that's what I'd like to replace. No big problems with the Vision, just want one that's more comfortable for me (I find the Vision rather hard) and that may help keep my leg in a better position. What improvements did you find when you switched from the Vision?

Thanks,

SD

I have a Wexford w/ buffalo leather and serge panels. When I tried the demo w/ serge panels, horse just loved how it fit. Love this saddle, I had a Quantum, but as I posted earlier, it just did not suit me. I also had a Vision years ago. I liked it at first, but it was so heavy, it felt like a jousting saddle. The Wexford puts me in a great position. The Vision was cut too forward for everyday work such as flat work. Others may disagree, but that's what I felt. It also ran narrow for the tb I had at the time.