The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default cosequin....

so i got this new horse about 4 months ago. i started to build his muscle and weight about 2... for the past month or so ive had him on 1 scoop (3 quarts) triple crown complete. 1 scoop bran and 1 scoop beet pulp. The supplements i feed are cosequin, garlic, and bio sponge. First 3 months were great, now all of the sudden he has stomach ulcers. Do you think the cosequin could be causing stomach ulcers or something else im feeding? it seems like since ive been giving him this stuff he has been having stomach issues. any advice or comments would greatly help me. any stories you can sure with me would be great.
    TIA.

I can't say that I've ever had cosequin give ulcers... but I also can't say it won't. I've never heard of it before, but there's always a first. You don't mention the amount of hay hers getting (or is your grain a complete feed? sorry, not familiar with it) or t/o situation and did the t/o situation change from his previous environment? What kind of barn are you in, one where it is quiet or is there a lot of things going on and are you in heavy training? In my experiences, it tends to be situational/stress or painkiller meds that are the big culprit. How about water consumption too? Did the previous owners have any problems with ulcers?

he was in a pretty small stall for the last 3 months and i just moved him into a big stall and hes a lot happier but not getting any better. hes been moved around a bit and he gets antsy the first day then gets over it. We love our new place and it is very quiet. he gets turned out daily but is also in a large stall where he can move around a lot. he is not in any training program right now as he has been acting strange for the past month and just found out he had stomach ulcers. His feed is alfalfa AM and grass hay PM. he is 17.2 hands so they give him about 3 flakes of each. he is definitely getting enough feed. i took him off all his supplements for a few days to see what happens and he is also on ulcer medication. im just giving him 3 quarts tc complete grain, 1 1/2 quarts bran and 1 1/2 quarts beet pulp... hope that helps him. took him off bio sponge and cosequin. im hoping he gets better!

btw. previous owner is a good friend of mine and no he has never had problems with ulcers before and his environment is not anymore stressful. hes been at A barns as a lesson horse but also stuck out in pasture for 2 years just hanging out.

Hmm, yeah sounds like you've got a great management plan for him. I'd be interested to hear what you find with removing the supplements, ulcers can be quite frustrating! I don't know anything about biosponge, but would def like to know if cosequin can be at risk for causing ulcers! One of my mares has had issues with ulcers, she doesn't get cosequin, but my other mare does get cosequin... she's not prone to ulcers thank goodness! Maybe it's just stress from a change in lifestyle and moving around, he may have had them a long time but were never enough to draw attention or be very symptomatic. Willow's ulcers went undiagnosed for quite a while because no one really thought anything was off. Good luck!

It sounds like you have a good plan of action.

After you treat his ulcers consider a preventative/something for gut health such as Uckele's G.U.T, U-Guard, Tract-Guard, etc.