The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help pricing fillies - yearling and 2 year old

I am hoping to get some advice on pricing. I have two lovely fillies, one from 2008 and one from 2009. I am beginning to market them and selected prices based on their conformation, pedigrees, movement, etc. However, I have had one local person remark that they are priced too low, and one person remark that they are over priced. So, before I spend money on ads etc I would like to know what you would price them at if you were going to sell them. Especially since they are fillies and most shoppers are looking for geldings.

So....without telling you my prices, and knowing that these two fillies have great sought-after pedigrees, come from great mare lines that have shown and won awards, knowing that both fillies are super easy to handle and don't have vices, and looking at their movements, what would you price them at if they were yours?

http://www.anteroequestrian.com/Dahlia/

and...

http://www.anteroequestrian.com/Fonteyn/

Please feel free to critique them and factor in the current market, and the fact that they are fillies. I know they are both all knees and elbows at the moment.

Thanks!

Gina

I am not going to get into pricing as there are many subjective factors one must take into account as well as several objective factors. I will comment that you need to change the photo on the page for the 2009 filly. In the photo she looks very back at the knee, but upon viewing video, she is not. That jumped out at me right away, must be angle or something but pelase get a better photo!

I will be brave to throw in figures. I only considered my buying power (low or high).
    The yearling 5000, the 2 years old 7000 would be in my books.
    Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Galiba View Post
    I will be brave to throw in figures. I only considered my buying power (low or high).
    The yearling 5000, the 2 years old 7000 would be in my books.
    Hope it helps
    I think that is really low for the quality of these fillies and their pedigree. Both have very nice movement. OP, I would at least double the above figures and that would still be a good deal for the buyer.

Edited to add that I think that (at least on the East Coast), you can still sell high quality 2009 foals for a good price. I know I sold a 2009 filly with a more jumping oriented pedigree (Escudo II - Gold Luck - Pablo) to a dressage rider for the price I suggested you sell your 2009 filly for [price was firm]; that one sold as a late weanling (early January 2010). Good photos are essential (and agree on the photos of the 2009 filly), but I do have to say that your videos are quite nice. And your fillies are pretty and have lovely movement.
    Last edited by Edgewood; Mar. 18, 2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added more

Well, I'd only give you 500 bucks for either of them because they are so awful you need someone to take them off your hands....

Really lovely fillies, and I agree, the prices above are too low!!

I agree, that seems low, the second one is particularly cute. I would just get a better pic of the first one, she does look a bit back and the knee and her head looks a bit big due to the angle. Good pictures are everything.

I would say 8-9k for the yearling and 10-12k for the 2 yo? That would be on the aggressive side, or you could follow Kris' advice and put them a little higher to have some negotiating room?
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I happen to think that the older filly is of much better quality than the younger one and would adjust the pricing accordingly. I know that's hard to do in this country because the majority of hore buyers think that yearlings cost x, 2-year-olds cost y, and 3-year olds z, but it's still something to be considered.

Just my opinion....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Plus, the older filly comes from a super damline (top awards for that mare family in Germany) so for a breeding prospect, she is looking pretty good. The market is horrendous for breeding stock right now (not sure about foals) but I would be asking at least ten for both.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    I happen to think that the older filly is of much better quality than the younger one and would adjust the pricing accordingly. I know that's hard to do in this country because the majority of hore buyers think that yearlings cost x, 2-year-olds cost y, and 3-year olds z, but it's still something to be considered.

Just my opinion....
    Ditto. And IME the market is just fine right now for high quality youngsters, especially fillies.

I have been told by the Moderator that this thread is inappropriate for COTH due to the fact that I linked to my webpage, so I won't respond to any of the comments and we can let this thread die. I do appreciate your thoughts though.

Gina