The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Senior Supplement or Senior Feed?

My coming 22 yr old mare has always been a super easy keeper. Never lost weight even in the winter, but I have noticed she is starting to lose some weight which I feel is proably due to the not so great round bale she eats (pasture 24/7 with only round bales). I started feeding her some sweet feed, which is what my other horses who have supplements get (they are all easier keepers as well! I am LUCKY), but I am wondering if its time I put her on something due to her age. Aside from the dropping a little weight this past month, she is sound and healthy!
    Anyway, my question is "should I put her on a feeding supplement for senior horses or a senior feed?"
    I feel the supplement would be easier because then I can just order in smartpak and tada! Makes for easy feeding when I am not around, but if the grain is best I will do that!
    Thanks!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Default Ideally you should test the hay first

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue_Rider9 View Post
    My coming 22 yr old mare has always been a super easy keeper. Never lost weight even in the winter, but I have noticed she is starting to lose some weight which I feel is proably due to the not so great round bale she eats (pasture 24/7 with only round bales). I started feeding her some sweet feed, which is what my other horses who have supplements get (they are all easier keepers as well! I am LUCKY), but I am wondering if its time I put her on something due to her age. Aside from the dropping a little weight this past month, she is sound and healthy!
    Anyway, my question is "should I put her on a feeding supplement for senior horses or a senior feed?"
    I feel the supplement would be easier because then I can just order in smartpak and tada! Makes for easy feeding when I am not around, but if the grain is best I will do that!
    Thanks!
    Then you would know what needed to be supplemented to make the ration what the mare needs.
    Otherwise its a total crapshoot and I would suggest you just pick the one that is easiest for you since it wont be based on her nutritional needs anyway.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

My seniors....24 year old gelding and 27 year old mare get 24/7 pasture and/or hay plus soaked alfalfa cubes, plus senior feed. They are both easy keepers but are having trouble chewing their hay despite having their teeth floated regularly. The mare, I know, is missing some teeth making chewing hay especially hard for her....I find half chewed hay balls all over. Green grass isn't so much a problem. However, I feel better offering the soaked alfalfa cubes to be sure she is getting all the forage she needs to stay healthy. When/if the time comes when she can no longer chew even the soaked alfalfa cubes then she will get soaked beep and senior ration. I'm just not a big fan of supplements....most of which are not necessary if you are feeding a properly nutritious diet.
    Picture of my mare: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23163...80191555nLgyPD
    My gelding: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/14825...80191555pcXBrd neither of whom need or are on any type of extra supplement
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I would go with the senior feed, as it is easier to digest and for their aging bodies to use the nutrients in it. All of my horses (ages 6, 22 and 27) eat Blue Seal Sentinel Senior and are doing great.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Thanks! Maybe I will go ahead and stick my other fella on it to just to be safe (he is 20 this year!)
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

And check their teeth!