The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation MD riders/heads up- proposed change the start of bow hunting season to 9/5

HELP STOP SUMMER HUNTING!

PLEASE HELP, in just a few days, Governor O'Malley is going to allow the
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources to make our lives even more miserable.
    Under O'Malley, DNR is going to change the start of bow hunting season in
    Maryland to September 5th on all private properties and on all public land and
    in every public park that allows bow hunting. This is earlier then any
    surrounding state. Please send this to everyone you know, Democrat or
    Republican, if you live in Maryland this directly effects you.

. We should be able to take a walk, run with our dogs, just go for a hike and
    ride our bikes without being shot by an arrow during the most beautiful time of
    the year.

. It is very dangerous because the trees are still dense with leaves and hunters
    could easily take a bad shot.

. Fawns are not totally weaned and some are still nursing on their mothers.

. Deer that are injured by arrows (over 50%) really suffer from the increased
    rates of infection in the heat of September.

Last year in the 2 weeks they already have in September they killed less then 5%
    of all the deer killed in the entire bow hunting season. This means starting
    earlier in September will DO NOTHING except allow DNR and O'Malley to appease
    bow hunters during an election year. Bow hunting has already been increased in
    Maryland over the years from a few weeks a year to 6 days a week for 4 and a
    half months from September 15th until January 31st.

There are only 57,000 bow hunters licensed in Maryland and a large percentage
    are from out of state? DNR and O'Malley care more about the hunters then the
    over 3,000,000 million Maryland voters who do not hunt. We need to show him our
    strength and tell him enough is enough. Since they cannot scientifically justify
    hunting in September, we want to "Take Back Autumn" and demand that bow hunting
    not start until October 15th so all Marylanders can enjoy a safe September
    without fear.

We must demand that he take responsibility for DNR and tell him that when his
    office is contacted, he should not forward the letters, e-mails and phone calls
    back to DNR. This is not only wrong, but it is also disrespectful to the voters
    of Maryland who elected him to govern DNR. It is time to hold O'Malley
    accountable and not allow DNR to govern themselves anymore.

DO NOT DELAY! Call The Governor and tell him bow hunting already starts too
    early and he needs to stop this now!
    Telephone: 410-974-3901 or 1-800-811-8336 and E-mail: governor@...

or paste this link into your browser http://www.governor.maryland.gov/mail/
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Default No! No! No!

I already have to keep my horses cooped up in the field closest to my house from Nov thru Feb.

I can honestly say that I've not had any problem with bow hunters/ hunting and find them to generally be very respectful and careful. But this opens the door to lengthening out all the other hunting seasons.

Sigh....
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Delaware (a surrounding state) has always opened its' bow season on September 1st. I personally do not have a problem with a longer bow season. I am against Sunday hunting.

You might want to get some facts about deer herd numbers in your state before getting your torches and pitchforks out.

The mid-Atlantic deer herd is out of control for a variety of reasons - almost all man made/caused. There are more deer now than there were when Columbus landed upon these shores.

The feds and states and private industry have complied numbers regarding economic damage from crop losses, spread of tick borne illness, collisions with vehicles (not just property damage but human injuries and fatalities), and harvest data that support reducing deer numbers to manageable levels.

You'll find that there is a heck of a lot of science behind decisions to increase or decrease seasons, limit or expand harvests, and a heck of a lot of public input (not just hunters) into decisions.

One of the problems encountered is that deer have found suburban areas to be much to their liking. Lots of food, shelter, and no predators. (two or 4 legged). Fragmentation of habitat, and closing/fencing of wildlife corridors concentrate large numbers of wildlife on "islands" where they quickly strip vegetation.

Unfortunately, it's often difficult to hunt (with rifle or black powder) in such areas because of the proximity of homes, and noise associated with hunting.

But urban/suburban or highly populated areas are perfect for bow hunting. It is silent, unobtrusive, extremely safe, and is effective in controlling deer numbers.

The goal is to bring down the number of deer for a variety of reasons - many of which have to do with human safety.

I've no dog in this fight, I don't live in that state and I actually don't care for bow hunting.

I'm just saying that maybe y'all need to get some facts on the issue before screaming about your horses.

There's a reason tick-borne illnesses are becoming epidemic and it's not the fault of the white-footed mouse.

And I disagree with Tabula - hunting seasons are not lengthened or shortened based upon the length of a season for another species. Again, decisions are based upon species, science/ecology, stakeholder input, and there is a heck of a lot of science going on behind the scenes of which y'all aren't aware.

JSwan you are so right on all of your points. Thank you for saying all of it so well.

Delaware is now considering adding a Fox Hunting season due to the over population and problems relating to that! Unfotunately, it may be a necessary evil.

What JSwan said.

Honestly the bow hunters in our area are all pretty horse aware - the people hunting the property where we ride are people we know and neighbors who are also horse people, so it's not a huge problem. Stick a bell on your horse, wear orange, and off you go.

The deer population in MD is pretty out of control - I don't think this is just about making nice with hunters.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    What JSwan said.

Honestly the bow hunters in our area are all pretty horse aware - the people hunting the property where we ride are people we know and neighbors who are also horse people, so it's not a huge problem. Stick a bell on your horse, wear orange, and off you go.

The deer population in MD is pretty out of control - I don't think this is just about making nice with hunters.
    Yeah, the wearing orange and bells are all well and good- until you are threatened by a hunter while you are riding on public property that is clearly posted as no hunting. This has happened to us more than once.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Did you report them to the police?

Maybe it's because I know many hunters and come from a family that hunts, but I've just never experienced these sort of problems even when I do come upon hunters in the woods. 90% of the time we don't know they're there (they'll tell us later they saw us passing through, heh). In our area even if we do startle deer with our noise, they don't go very far (and a couple times our presence has driven deer towards hunters), so I've never encountered any complaints from them.

There may be some awful hunters out there, but in general I think we have more in common with them than not. We have a mutual goal of preserving open spaces, a mutual love of the outdoors, and honestly cutting down deer populations probably benefits horse owners as much as anybody.

Either way, I think wildlife management and culling the deer herds is pretty important - so I'm not going to oppose this just because it might cut down on my trail time. It absolutely sucks that you have some asshat hunters in your area that can't follow the law and then threaten people, but I don't think that's the norm either...
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Again, what JSwan said. Also a deer hunter, though I don't bow hunt personally. Deer herds need to be maintained, thanks to people and development. If it calls for a longer season, then I'm in support of it.

As for being threatened while riding on public property that is posted, that's what the game warden is for. Keep the number handy, along with your cell phone, and there shouldn't be a problem.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

You encountered a poacher, not a hunter.

If you've got criminals in your area then the extension of a particular season means nothing to them. They don't give a crap about obeying laws to begin with. Criminals aren't generally thrilled with being caught red-handed - doesn't matter what the crime is.

So do what you would do with any other criminal act - call 911.

You don't have a problem with hunters, you have a problem with criminals. Big difference. So big that your complaint, however legitimate, has absolutely nothing to do with the proposed measure.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Yeah, the wearing orange and bells are all well and good- until you are threatened by a hunter while you are riding on public property that is clearly posted as no hunting.

In the State Forest next to the barn where I board, it's generally considered safe to ride during bow hunting season (obviously with orange safety gear, bells etc.), but NOT during gun hunting season, which is thankfully very short. The bow hunters I've run across are quite polite, but BO says the gun hunters are more likely to be drunk and act like yahbos.

Has anyone else out there ever run across paintballers while riding? I have a few times, and as long as we shout out to let them know we're around, they are quite polite. There's no "paintball season" so I assume they could be there at any time. The horses do jump a little at the sound of a paintball gun but they get used to it quickly.

After seeing more than one dead deer lying on the side of a busy, suburban road next to my busy suburban office park AND nearly hitting a deer just about every night on the way home from said office park, I'm all in favor of an increased hunting season. Deer do not belong on Reisterstown Road in Owings Mills.

Wow, I am so thankful to see that more folks are acutally EDUCATING themselves with regards to hunting, not just copying anti-hunting propaganda from the local animal rights wackos.

We are surrounded by a state park, our fields are destroyed by the deer, as are our fence lines. The soil conservation is worried about my horses pooping in the creeks that line our property, but what about all the deer poop. There are WAY more deer than I have horses. And DNR won't pay to fix my fence when the darn deer destroy it, nor will the government pay for the run off due to the deer using the same path over and over. They also won't pay for me having to feed more hay because the deer destroy my pasture.

So, for you who don't want deer hunters to CAREFULLY cull the herd, please pony up a few hundred bucks for my hay, fix my fencing and figure out how to prevent the wash out from the errosion that the damn deer cause. When you do that, I will be more than happy to sign your silly bill.

PS - I am not happy that my car insurance creeps up every few years because the actuaries look at how the deer population increases. Yup, they do take that into consideration. More deer expected? Increase in insurance rates. How do I know - used to work in the field, so don't try to say I am talking out of my rear.