The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1st time "PEEP" user - 50% successful!

I finally gave in and bought some peeps! After I got home and explained this exciting new phenomenon to DH, (after much loud laughter, knee slapping & snorting), we headed out to the barn with some pink peeps.

His horse, the prissy, pampered, palomino would eat them all day like bon-bons if she could. She likes to squish them with her tongue and savor the taste before she swallows.

My horse, OTOH, looked at me like I was trying to poison her and promptly did a "peep projectile" over the stall door (who said peeps can't fly!). DH started out of the barn toward the house, so I asked him where he was going. His reply was "I going to get the yellow peeps to see if she'll like those instead".

So my question is: Are peeps a "love them or hate them" kinda treat? Are they an aquired taste?

I've given peeps to a number of horses since hearing their praises sung by Ted. Alas, none of them have liked them. They all seemed to think I was nuts, but they would oblisge and suck on them for a bit before spitting them out with a disgusted look. FWIW, soggy dirty peeps are no fun to get up off the aisle floor.

I have three horses, and after reading about Peeps on this board I bought some, and offered them, and saw them dropped to the ground in disgust.

Apparently not every horse likes them.

I just bought some purple peeps. One horse ate one and spit out the next. The other two turned and walked away as if afraid I would force them on them. They didn't even try to taste them.

Fortunately I have children who ate the ones left; and also fortunately, I only bought the one little package.

hmm...no idea since I've never tried them. But I think I may have to! My horse doesn't seem to like traditional treats (he spit out a peppermint, for goodness sake) so maybe something a little non traditional is what I should try!

This sounds like a great idea. I have tried; candy corn, Gum drops and flat pepsi.
    Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway

Boots, chaps and cowboy hats... nothin' else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Apparently not every horse likes them.
    Nor do all humans - I find them rather nasty in texture and way to sweet. I suspect my horses would not touch them either and I am not gonna spend money on neon coloured marshmallows to find out. Research is the only fitting use for peeps
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    FWIW, soggy dirty peeps are no fun to get up off the aisle floor.
    I had to pick up my horse Andy's squished and flattened peep from the dirt floor, too. Very sticky. When I gave it to him he put it in his mouth and it got stuck on the roof of his mouth. He finally got it unstuck and then - bloop - it was out and on the ground.

That was the end of the peeps for him. My instructor's kids got the rest of the peep package.

I, too, upon advice from Ted, offered up these scrumptious treats to my mare. Food is the highlight of this horse's life. She is a dainty and sportier version of Homer Simpson. This is the horse who made a lightning-speed grab at the plastic plants in the barn aisleway when we came in from the ring. Of course, the leaves would not tear off and the plant went flying. "Ptthhht pthhht " is the sound of a horse spitting out bits of clothy-plastic in disgust. Sadly...this happened more than once....same plant. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

One day, I offered her a peep. SHe loves sugar cubes and peppermints, I thought she'd love these. She sucked on it for a couple of seconds but I think the dissapointment came when she tried to chew. No crunch. Probably stuck to her teeth and felt unweildy in the mouth. "Hccckkkkkkkk, hccccccckkkkk" is the sound of a horse hawking up a peep to the front of the mouth so it can be propelled by the flick of a tongue and the toss of a head through the air.

I think it's the texture. Chewy and squishy. My hypothesis is that horses who like bananas also like peeps. Can anyone help me test this? Geek?

I just tried Peeps on Lucky (in what I call the continuing quest to find something he WON'T eat) and the first one he vacuumed down, the second he dropped, fooled around with, and finally bit in half and ate.

I think next time I will try slightly stale Peeps so it's a bit crunchier. (The bunny kind; much like nuking Peeps, I can't bring myself to hurt the cute little baby chicks.)

Default Peppermint Peeps

My three ONLY like the Peppermint Star Peeps made at Christmas time. My Perchies eyes bug out when he sees one coming. If you have ever tasted one, they are so minty they taste like toothpaste. Any other type of peep they spit out-I suspect it is the texture they dont like. The strong mint flavor probably offsets the texture.
    They received a case from Santa for Christmas.

It certainly looks like my horse is in good company and DH with his peep-eating palomino are in the other group!

Peeps are also good for starting rumors. A "friend" called to tell me something she overheard - that my husband had a girlfriend named Tinkerbell and he was feeling her peeps. And that DH was not trying to hide anything because he was telling everybody in town (where everyone knows everything). The "friend" wanted to let me know that I could count on her for support. I thanked her and let her know I already knew about Tinkerbell and he sees her everyday and I am fine with that arangement.

Good Grief! I only bought them yesterday! His horse is named Tinkerbell and he feeding (not feeling) her peeps. He is bragging all over town about his "peep treats" for his horse because he's amazed she eats them. That's life in a small town!

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    It certainly looks like my horse is in good company and DH with his peep-eating palomino are in the other group!

Peeps are also good for starting rumors. A "friend" called to tell me something she overheard - that my husband had a girlfriend named Tinkerbell and he was feeling her peeps. And that DH was not trying to hide anything because he was telling everybody in town (where everyone knows everything). The "friend" wanted to let me know that I could count on her for support. I thanked her and let her know I already knew about Tinkerbell and he sees her everyday and I am fine with that arangement.

Good Grief! I only bought them yesterday! His horse is named Tinkerbell and he feeding (not feeling) her peeps. He is bragging all over town about his "peep treats" for his horse because he's amazed she eats them. That's life in a small town!
    Hahahahaha! Great story! I'm sorry, but I grew up in a smaller town in New England and I can say this.

Two words: Peeps Week!!! And go to www.washingtonpost.com to see the results of previous years' Peeps Diorama contests. This year's is coming up!!!

Did you practice humane slaughter?

Treasure prefers his Peeps free-range and slaughtered humanely-One should twist off the bunny's head and ears in a quick, clean motion.

When slaughtering a chick, one should similarly pinch the head off with a twist at the end (wring its little neck)

For Princess, they were an acquired taste.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Default As the resident Peep 'Ho...

Not every horse likes peeps. My best buddy, Bow, will eat anything, so of course he likes peeps, but his favorite treat is sweetened iced tea.

I just like peeps. I like the sugar. I like the marshmallow. I like the whole concept.

It started very innocently, I'm sure my mom did not intend to become a peep pusher. But it was Easter time, and she brought peeps to the barn in honor of the season. She offered one up when I caught her munching on one...and the rest is history. I like them stale, I like them fresh, I like all the colors and flavors (although maybe not if they made apple, but carrot would be good).

I like lots of things. Watermelon in summer (my mom picks out the seeds for me). Sometimes bananas (this for J-Lu) - but I always prefer peeps, bananas have to be at just the right ripeness. Regular horse treats, alfalfa, candy corn, licorice, peppermints (soft and hard). Runts are bad because one time I was eating them and bit my tongue, so we don't have them anymore. Oatmeal raisin and gingerbread cookies, rice krispie treats. Anything with molasses, but not with maple sugar.

My mom used to bring coffee cakes from Einstein's bagels, she gave me the bottom and kept the crumb part for herself: she thinks I don't know, but I am NOT stupid.

I DO NOT LIKE cotton candy. Before you can taste the sugar, it goes away!

The whole point is: you do not have to like peeps. They are a very fun and convenient treat, very colorful, and change with the seasons. But really - chaqu'un a son gout!!!
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

We have 17 horses - mostly OTTBs. At first offering only 2 seemed to acknowledge Peeps as a food offering. Even the old gal who likes Pop Tarts rejected them.
    I'll let them get stale and try again.

Mine hates them and does the projectile thing - an event that was worth the price of the Peeps.
    She loves Starburst however.

The $700 Pony recently discovered Peeps. She thinks I am quite remiss for not helping her discover them earlier. She will about do a handstand if a peep was the reward.

yup......gotta scoop them up AFTER the appropriate holiday, when they are on half price, then let them sit out and get good and HARD/crunchy........bet all the horses will love them then.......my guys don't like them fresh and gooey, but would kill for the stale ones