The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for lessons

Anyone have any recommendations for barns in the Vancouver area? I'd be open to Delta/Ladner but I think Langley's a bit too far for me.
    Last edited by rulex; Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM.

I used to ride in Vancouver when I was younger. There's the North Shore Equestrian Centre in North Vancouver. There are also a TON of barns out in Southlands (Point Grey). It's fairly hoity, toity but it's a gorgeous place to ride. I would check out the Horse Council of British Columbia's website, I'd imagine they might have a list of places to ride.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Lindy Townley is always one of my first choices in this area. You can't beat her extensive experience and successes. She has no schoolies, but sometimes someone might have a horse who needs a ride, or perhaps a half lease. Whether she can provide what you are looking for today or not, she's worth contacting. She has recently moved I heard, but will be in the area somewhere. Always a few children around, but mostly adult riders, amis and semi professionals. Gary Brewster also is worth looking into, he's around the same Delta/Ladner/Richmond area I think. Again, a showing trainer rather than a barnfull of school horses, but a quality horse person and a skilled trainer and coach. Also a rider himself. School horses you may find around the Southlands barns, but Southlands is a whole other world in many ways. Either you fit and appreciate the situation, or you don't. It's below sea level, and basically farms on city size lots, so the problems that go along with those facts are rampant. On days with a high tide, a brisk wind, and an earthquake somewhere on the ring of fire on the Pacific Rim, "get out of Southlands". Just in case the dikes don't hold.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=NancyM;4745346]Southlands is a whole other world in many ways. Either you fit and appreciate the situation, or you don't. It's below sea level, and basically farms on city size lots, so the problems that go along with those facts are rampant. On days with a high tide, a brisk wind, and an earthquake somewhere on the ring of fire on the Pacific Rim, "get out of Southlands". Just in case the dikes don't hold.
    [QUOTE]

Haha Isn't that the truth! It was definitely an experience riding at Southlands with all the incredibly wealthy folk in that area.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!