The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Opinions? Name popular dressage sires...

Greetings!

I typically breed for upper level event horses, but the 2011 foal crop will give me one more foal than I really intend to keep permanently. I have an 17h 9yo Oldenburg mare who is very dressage oriented, and very talented. I'd like to breed her to a dressage sire, and have that be the one baby I market to sell.

So your opinions...

Who is a dressage sire who is popular with good resale value for his foals? I need him to also have fresh cooled semen available... I'm breeding with a lot of frozen on other mares this year, but this particular mare needs fresh.

Now for the fun! What do YOU think????

The most important thing you can do is evaluate your mare (or have someone with experience do it) in a very objective way about her assets and what could be better. Look at her pedigree and then choose a stallion that would best fit and help your mare so the resulting foal reflects such a choice. A big name stallion won't help the sale if the foal is not a good individual. Maybe go to some upcoming inspections and gain some information and have your mare inspected for a good overall evaluation and some stallion recommendations. good luck!
    PennyG

Popular for what level of dressage?
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Default More details...

Thanks for the suggestion. I am a professional upper level rider, and do quite a bit of breeding... I completely agree with you on evaluating the mare. I'd like to breed to one dressage horse for fun and with resale in mind.... For fun, I'd love to hear everyone's opinions about popular dressage sires. It's so exciting to shop for stallions!

Here's a little more on the mare, then, if you'd like. She is a 17h 9yo dark bay Oldenburg mare by Alpenstern, out of a TB mare. Her pedigree is here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sweet+adelaide3 Her sire's information can be found here: http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/islandfarm/Alpenstern.html

Her positives:
    She is a really nice size, at 17h with plenty of bone and big feet. Her tempermament is outstanding, as she's very kind and sweet and easy to be around. She is a lovely mover in all three paces, with nice suspension, natural use of her back, and a wonderful canter. Very uphill mover. She was competed in eventing, dressage, and hunters by a junior rider before I purchased her. Her head is very typey and attractive, and she is very uphill. Good suspension, which I'd like to keep in the foal! When she jumped, she naturally has terrific form over fences with tight, square knees.

Her negatives:
    She has one club foot, evaluated by vet and history and believed to be the result of lack of farrier care as a foal, developmental more than heriditary. I don't want to us frozen. She is successfully in foal this year to a TK stallion, and I am very excited for the foal!!

I would be thrilled with a carbon copy of her, minus the grazing club which we feel was a result of care rather than genes. Anything a stallion can do to improve her would be a plus, plus, plus!

I'll take a conformation photo of her today (though very preggers). All I have of her are jumping photos. For fun, I'd love to hear your suggestions for a stallion who is available with fresh cooled semen who would sire a talented dressage foal.

Here are two photos of her being ridden till I can get you a conformation photo...
    http://www.teamceoeventing.com/chelsea.jpg
    http://www.teamceoeventing.com/addy.jpg

Your opinions?

Thanks!