The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tangent from the braiding thread: Quartermarks

Am I the only one who *doesn't* like them? I find them incredibly distracting, even the cool and artistic ones. I know they are supposed to enhance a well muscled and shaped rump, but to me it makes them looke warped.

Maybe I'm warped?

I personally would much rather see only the lovely slick shine and glimmer of a well cared for coat than the designs brushed into it.

But then, I'm one of the few who doesn't care for decorated browbands either. A brass clincher is about as gaudy as I'd go for, and I don't even have that!

Blingy I ain't

I LOVE tastefully done quartermarks

I prefer a nice slick muscled butt to a marked one. Would be a good poll . . . .

Well, after 40 views and only one comment, and that FOR quartermarks, I guess I am the only one

Whoops, Piggii we were posting at the same time!

I like them a lot, but nothing gaudy please--just the traditional bars across the croup and some shark's teeth. Spare me the flowers, flags, pirate symbols, oy vey! They should enhance, not distract. They need to be proportional to the horse, and just catch the eye but not make you stare.

And the horse had danged well better GLEAM everywhere else. Putting quarter marks on a scruffy horse is about as silly as braiding one.
    Click here before you buy.

Saje- I am with you on all of it. I saw a palamino with a lightning bolt clipped into his quarter last weekend and had to stifle my giggle- lest I offend one of the hunting Gods of the Midland Hounds.

And dont get me started on sparkly browbands, spurs, etc. I prefer my horse to attract attention because she is lovely, clean, well turned out, and hopefully behaving, not because she sparkles like a lady of the Jersey shore.
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

she sparkles like a lady of the Jersey shore
    Dang, that stupid TV show has ruined my homeland forever.
    Click here before you buy.

I love neat, well done quarter marks. I think they really add to the overall gloss.

Something like this or this looks stunning.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I like traditional quartermarks (checkboard) with a neatly banged pulled tail look. HATE any kine of "bling" however on tack!

I love the look of the checkerboard with the sharks teeth. I think it looks really great on the right horses. Hand done of course. No stencils.

I like blindingly polished brass or silver (on the right horse) but no rhinestone bling

Nope, don't like them!!

(or braided tails . . . but I like my brass clincher browband)

Sorry, add me to the list of those who love them!

Love a good set of vertical stripes/checkerboard with sharks teeth..however, I have never been talented enough to be able to do them on my horse

Nope, I don't like them or bling on the tack. Nicely polished metal is a given, but no extra bling please.

LOVE them.........when they are done well! My favorite is three vertical lines and sharks teeth (though I still have a hard time perfecting the sharksteeth) OR a "v" and teeth. Most of the patters for checker boards are too big, and overwhelm. I'm a bit neurotic, so mine are braided EVERY show and have quarter marks for dressage and SJ. I do them for XC at three days

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

I like them but no bling please. They do look better and more suddle on bays and dark colored horses.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by skip916 View Post
    Saje- I am with you on all of it. I saw a palamino with a lightning bolt clipped into his quarter last weekend and had to stifle my giggle- lest I offend one of the hunting Gods of the Midland Hounds.
    No Worries, the hunting Gods have a sense of humor. That stunning paint with the jolly-roger shaved into his bum is mine (Pirate) and it was a hit at my hunt and at joint meets.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Can you guys post pics!!??

And is there a how-to for these things? Heather Morris does the sharks tooth. I really like that one.

I have a plain bay and he would look nice with them I think. His haunch is big enough that he wouldn't look stupid. Nothing like showing off a butt that is underdeveloped. lol
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I really like traditional quarter marks on a dark horse.

As other said, I do not like any bling beyond a brass or silver brow band.

Being as my horse is a LOUD appy, we will not be going in the ring with quarter marks but they looked great on my dark bay dappled TB.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Can you guys post pics!!??

And is there a how-to for these things? Heather Morris does the sharks tooth. I really like that one.

I have a plain bay and he would look nice with them I think. His haunch is big enough that he wouldn't look stupid. Nothing like showing off a butt that is underdeveloped. lol
    There's a couple in my post above.

Basically what you do is take a damp brush and brush against the hair to make it fluff up in the shape you want. For checker boards, dampen the hair with a brush or sponge, the use a bit of plastic comb cut to the size you want the squares to brush against the hair. Takes a bit of practice to find out what works best for your horse, but it's fairly simple once you get the hang of it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!