The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone tried Cavalo horse feeds?

I have recently had a visit from a rep of Cavalo, and was curious as to whether anyone has tried this feed brand. It sounds interesting.

Do you mean Cavalor? I know Steffen Peters uses it, but it's too pricey for me.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

If you mean Cavalor- http://www.cavalor.com

yes- my horse gets this and it is great! Would highly recommend it....seems as though there is a big difference in quality compared to other brands...the grains in it appear "whole" not manufactured...my horse loves it!

It's a Belgian feed, very popular in Europe. I believe I read Anky's barn is on it too.

I started feeding it again, but stopped. I had my guy on TC Low Starch before and went back on in, I was doubting.

European feeds tend to be high in NSC. Sugars & starches for Cavalor is a minimum of 33%.
    If you have no need for low NSC, then go for it's a nice high quality feed.
    Many people overseas say they saw a noticeable improvement in their hot horses when fed Cavalor Pianissimo.

I've still got a couple of Pianissimo bags here, I'm feeding it as the occasional treat now, it's kind of muesli-like they surely like it .

Yes, It's cavalor...just a typo on my part. I am going to try it, as the rep is going to give me enough to feed two horses for a month. It looks interesting, and good enough to try some myself (especially the mash mix!)

I am really interested in the concept, but could not find an ingredient list. I think feeds that are more whole than minced are better for them, but I couldn't figure out what exactly was in them. We got a sample from Harrisburg that I think had popcorn in it though?
    -Grace

I just grabbed the bag, I'll type it out :

barley flakes, flax husks, wheat middlings, popcorn, wheat, soya oil, sunflower seed extracted, rape seed extracted, palmkernel expeller, linseed, maize, sodium chloride, calciumcarbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides, palm oil.

Above are ingredients for the Pianissimo.

I would love to hear from some of the PSSM-diet experts on here, if this is can be considered a safe feed when looking for low starch or not????
    I went back to TC low starch, but really would prefer to feed this.

Default It's very high in sugar and starch

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I just grabbed the bag, I'll type it out :

barley flakes, flax husks, wheat middlings, popcorn, wheat, soya oil, sunflower seed extracted, rape seed extracted, palmkernel expeller, linseed, maize, sodium chloride, calciumcarbonate, fructo-oligosaccharides, palm oil.

I would love to hear from some of the PSSM-diet experts on here, if this is can be considered a safe feed when looking for low starch or not????
    I went back to TC low starch, but really would prefer to feed this.
    It would be fine for a hard working horse with no IR issues, but anything with IR it would not be a good idea.
    And truthfully it's no better than any of the better USA feeds and lot more expensive, you have pay for the shipping in from Europe plus all that pricey advertising plus all the sponsorships.
    You'd be better off on a KER feed or a Pennfields or an ADM they are all better suited to the USA.
    And BTW it has plenty of byproducts in it, it is in no way "whole grains"
    Just what do you think palmkernel expeller is, pray tell?
    or fructo-oligosaccharides, & palm oil?

I know, but I'll bet most of you don't!

Don't get caught up in the hype, it's just a horse feed, over packaged and over sold and over here!

MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Thx Melyni!!
    I'm sticking with the TC low starch in that case.
    You are very right, very pricey, I believe I paid something like $30 for a 40lbs bag.

I'm aware of the palmkernel expeller, most EU feeds contain it, I've known of problems with it, eventhough I don't recollect the exact details.

The high sugar & starch remains an other downside of this particular and actually most european feeds.

Default Plus the mineral balance is wrong for the USA

Thx Melyni!!
    I'm sticking with the TC low starch in that case.
    You are very right, very pricey, I believe I paid something like $30 for a 40lbs bag.

I'm aware of the palmkernel expeller, most EU feeds contain it, I've known of problems with it, eventhough I don't recollect the exact details.

The high sugar & starch remains an other downside of this particular and actually most european feeds.
    Plus it does not have a suitable balance of minerals for the USA.

Se is way too low for one!
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

No way. Way high in sugar and starch. fructo-oligosaccharides are what they feed to induce laminitis, so why would that be a good thing to feed?
    Anky can keep her rolkur AND this feed all to herself, thank you very much.

I tried it a year ago and for the price I didn't see any difference between it and Pennfields. My horse also required more of it than I fed Pennfields to maintain the same weight. I was frustrated with it, so I stopped using it.

I switched from Seminole. My retired mare has always been finicky. When she was competing, she picked at the Strategy and in retirement, she has gotten worse with the Wellness Senior.
    With the Cavalor Senior, she inhales it!
    She has dapples for the first time..and did I mention, she inhales it?
    My draft cross is on the Endurix. He also dappled out this year and inhales it as well.
    I didn't like the lower fat for my mare, and my draft cross needs to be on some type of EPSM diet, so I add Seminole Ultra Bloom and for my 2, it is the perfect combination.
    I was a bit hesitant about the cost. However, it took 3 bags of Seminole to fill my feed bin. It takes 2 of the Cavalor. I am feeding a bit less and it lasts a bit longer than the Seminole.
    And since my horses eat every last crumble, so much so that I can even drop medicine in it without their complaining, it really isn't costing me anymore.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

All of our horses are on it. We figured out it's definitely not costing us more, and might actually be costing us less, than traditional whole oats, barley, etc. or a different prepared grain. Because it's such a high quality, we feed about half of the amount we used to of regular grain. We only feed the Pianissimo now because we have hotter horses, and its also helpful in preventing stomach ulcers as well. I would highly, highly recommend Cavalor feeds based on what it's done for our horses.

I use Triple Crown feeds BUT I do use the Cavalor Mash and Mix. My horses travel a lot and often don't eat and drink as well as I would like. The Mash is extremely tasty and will horse a large amount of water. The two boys far prefer it to beet pulp or their soaked TC Lite pellets. I use about one cup of it in all meals and add water to the pellets and Mash mix. They happily slurp this mix, at home or while traveling. When away from home I may just give then a pan of largely water with the a cup or two of the mash just to get more water into them.

So, I don't really have them on a diet of Cavalor (too much $$$!) but I find the Mash and Mix very useful and keep it on hand.

chicamux

I work for Cavalor and wanted to share a video on Starch and the Presco process for people who had questions concerning the starch levels of Cavalor. Please see below link. We have found it to be very safe for horses with IR. The high speed, mass production mills in the US are unfortunately unable to handle the delicate Presco cereals. For this reason Cavalor has purchased a former human grade flour mill in GA. We looked at many feed mills in the US to purchase first before going human grade. That being said because our US feed mills cannot handle the Presco cereals (they would disintegrate) the second best thing is to offer a lower starch. If you cannot feed a safe starch Presco feed then as little starch as possible would be recommended by most vets.

Starch Video Link- http://youtu.be/CrYjwEF2MkI (Presco Story)

Below are some other videos that may be interesting....

http://youtu.be/7oRMg3xe6Rc (Will Faudree Story)
    http://youtu.be/hLIa-ATjnAY (Steffen Peters Story)
    http://youtu.be/-YSolJo5M9s (Hampton Classic Interview)
    http://youtu.be/arGWuFQ4yUw (Corporate Video)

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns happy to help. You can also contact me at m.mccabe@cavalor.com or 615.566.3282 is my cell.

Thank you
    Mawghan (Morgan) McCabe