The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scariest sound in the world

We have had rain all day and a pretty major downpour about 4-5 p.m. tonight so the critters were itchy from the water on thier backs. I was sitting in the living room watching TV when all of a sudden I heard it - Loud banging coming from my geldings run in shed. Jumped up and looked out and sure enough he is cast!!! I run out the door and back to the shed, grab a long lead from the other side of the shed and jump through the electric fence to get into the shed where he is. I was about 30 feet from where he was when he finally got a grip on the wall with his back foot and was able to push himself away enough to get up and run out of the shed. Threw the lead I had around his neck and led him up to where I could get the hose on him to check for any cuts. He ran off sound from the shed and followed me without a problem but was holding his left hind up when standing still. Checked all the way up and down the leg for any issues (cuts, heat, swelling, tenderness, etc.) an found nothing. Grabbed the hose and cold hosed that leg for about 10 minutes, just in case. He is fine now and seems no worse for the wear but I am keeping a close eye on him and will go over with a fine tooth comb again in the a.m.

That is not a sound I ever want to hear again.

I'm really glad your boy is ok. That is a horrible sound. I will admit I used to think cast horses was a scary sound that was until I heard the clunk of one hitting a metal gate at full speed and the sound of a leg breaking completely in half from a kick. I now have a list of sounds I just never want to hear ever again.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I have heard several scary sounds with horses - having a come apart in stocks or a trailer is right up there as well but this sounded like he was tearing the barn down on top of him. I have seen the after effects of cast horses from the not so bad to the dead.

We don't know how many times horses get themselves in trouble and out of it with little damage, but there is that time they don't.

It is scary to hear all that noise and then see that there is a horse cast.

Glad that your horse was ok after all.

Jingles for your horse and you ~ hoping the remainder of your weekend will be a little boring !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Oh man, I heard that wonderful sound yesterday. A mare rolled too close to the fence and got her legs caught under the bottom board. Of course I was all alone, she was thrashing around, and all the other horses were freaking out because of the sound. I was half way across the paddock when she managed to free herself. Her hind legs were covered with scrapes, and this morning they were swollen and hot.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Why does this typically happen when there's no one around to help???

My little TB mare got cast once in her paddock with her body facing downhill.... I put the lead on her and managed to pull her front end around so she could get her legs under her. Very scary and tense moments....

I always worry about the worst case scenarios and what could go wrong if the horse cannot be righted in a timely manner.

Glad your horse is okay, ttldr1!
    "If you can't be thankful for what you have, you can at least be thankful for what you've avoided." author unknown