The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does listing them at $1 REALLY help?

So as I renew one of my own ads... I do a quick search of similar adverts to be sure I am within reason on asking price...

and time and again I notice horses in upper price ranges ( 5 figures and up) listed at $1...of course you read the ad, and inside it states the horses is in this "range" and not really $1

I have noticed this for years, when shopping or selling... but finally am struck to ask.. what's the point? Does this really work?

I'd imagine it'd attract a lot of tire-kickers wouldn't it?

"Sport N Curls"
    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
    www.seldomcreek.com

I don't see why it would help. It drive me crazy.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

It helps to get little kids asking...

"Are you really selling your horse for 1 dollar? My parents will let me have a horse if I can buy one for a dollar."

I don't get it. Most people want to "weed out" lower level horses when doing a search on these sites. If I'm looking for a horse in the range that their horse is for sale, and I set the search to, let's say, $50,000 - $75,000, guess what happens? I'll never see your $1 horse! But, the people that will see your horse are those looking for Free - Cheap horses. Really stupid.

I agree, it only drives buyers away, because they want to know the price, not call and be embarassed when it's 4x what they have to spend. Likewise, if the horse is a good deal, no one will even be able to judge that. And, as others have mentioned, it's hard to find them in searches. It's just never a good idea all around do that.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I will NOT inquire on an ad without a price, period, not even a "price range"

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    I will NOT inquire on an ad without a price, period, not even a "price range"
    Agreed!

It drives me ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. Seriously. I don't inquire about ads unless there's at least a fairly narrow price range and the $1 ads just make me hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by huntereq_princess View Post
    I don't get it. Most people want to "weed out" lower level horses when doing a search on these sites. If I'm looking for a horse in the range that their horse is for sale, and I set the search to, let's say, $50,000 - $75,000, guess what happens? I'll never see your $1 horse! But, the people that will see your horse are those looking for Free - Cheap horses. Really stupid.
    ditto... I'm looking for a cheapo horse now. I always sort by lowest price first. Guess what? I'm sorting by lowest price looking for that cheap horse and can never afford your $50,000 horse so it makes no sense.

I won't inquire about a horse with no price, but a price range isn't necessarily a turn off if the horse is in training and showing and the price would be increasing.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Sometimes I think the seller's believe their horse is SO amazing that they are doing it a disservice by putting a price tag on it. As though the horse is even more "special" and "mysterious" that buyers will be so enthralled they'll just HAVE to call. It's actually a big reg flag that this is a seller with an inflated ego and not someone I want to deal with!

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    I won't inquire about a horse with no price, but a price range isn't necessarily a turn off if the horse is in training and showing and the price would be increasing.
    But really, isn't it as simple as clicking an edit button with most listings or websites and updating that price as training's increased and you've decided to up your price?

This appears to be a common practice with various importers, trainers, and dealers, who are hoping to keep the seller from realizing how much a buyer actually pays for the horse. Lots more commission money to be made that way.

Ditto- either (1) the horse is in training and price is rising, (2) the horse is expensive enough that the potential purchasers would prefer the price not be public, (3) the trainer hopes to make a large commission, multiple commissions, or some other price hike, or (4) someone is copying off of other nice ads that do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    But really, isn't it as simple as clicking an edit button with most listings or websites and updating that price as training's increased and you've decided to up your price?
    Yes it is that simple, that is why I always list a price. Others may have a barn full of training horses on multiple sale websites and then it is a little more time consuming to go through and update them all. It is just easier to put a price range then.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I look at it as a complete waste of time -- from both the buyer and seller's perspective. It makes NO sense to me at ALL.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

No, I had one customer insist I list their $30k hunter for $1 to get people to "ask", oh yeah, I had people ask alright, they asked if such a beautiful horse was really $1 and that they would bring a trailer that day!
    Others that knew he was a mid five figure horse inquired as to his price and then felt he was higher than thier budget could do. I got the most inquires when i listed him at his price.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Quote Originally Posted by huntereq_princess View Post
    Yep, this! I scratch my head every time I see that. My assumption for those horses is that the real price is probably like 60k so I don't even LOOK at them. Who goes into business with someone that hides the true value of the 'goods'? I ONE time inquired to one of those ads about the actual price - this was an OLD and LAME mare (19) retired GP jumper, that had 2 foals (neither competitive yet) and had been open for 2 years. I assumed she was probably around $1. Reply back was $15,000 and I laughed the whole way home.

I actually weed those out. I put $5 to... the top of my range. I dont even bother with these peolpe. If they cant put up a price, they arent be worth my time, even if they are in my range.

I hope the people that do this are aware of a court case in Virginia. A horse was advertised at a price with no caveats. A person came with the money and wanted to buy the horse and the seller refused to sell to that person. He went to court and won - the seller had to turn over the horse for the advertised price. The court ruled that the ADVERTISING indicated a price and there was no caveats or disclaimers. SO - the ads with the $1 are rather dangerous on the part of the sellers. A person could print that advertisement off - take it to the seller and demand the buy the horse for $1 based on the ad.

In our marketing we do state that we can refuse to sell a horse without explanation.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"