The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help for seasonal respiratory problems?

Can anyone recommend a respiratory aid that WORKS? My 20-year-old QH/Arab mare has seasonal respiratory problems. She is fine during the winter, but spring to fall, she coughs occassionally at rest, exacerbated by exercise. I can hear congestion in her lungs when she breathes. I soak her hay (which helps some), and have tried several resp. supplements including Anihist, but the symptoms are not controlled. She is in light - moderate work (beginner/interm. lessons, trail riding). She is stabled part of the day with plenty of turnout, and the barn is very open and well-ventilated. I would appreciate any suggestions - I am very open to natural/herbal remedies IF THEY WORK, but I don't want to throw money away on expensive supplements that don't help. Thanks!

I don't know about supplements as I haven't tried any, but I have a 21 yr old who periodically has respiratory problems. When he gets bad, the vet gives me a course of Ventipulmin. He goes through that, which clears up any inflammation, and then he's good to go for months or years. I'm wondering if you tried something like that first to control the inflammation, and then put her on a supplement to help maintain, maybe that would help? Unfortunately, Ventipulmin is pricey, but it sure works for my gelding and I have no need of any supplements.

Ventipulmin is a wonder drug for my older guy in the summer--you can literally tell when he's missed just one dose, it makes that dramatic of a difference in his breathing.

I agree with the Ventipulmin. My horse needs it whenever he's worked during hot weather. We tried dex, wetting hay, no hay, Smartbreathe, antihistamines, allergy shots, albuterol, etc, but the Ventipulmin is without doubt the most effective.

My old TB coughs at the beginning of exercise, is a nose flipper in the spring and has very reactionary skin. I have found that VitaFlex Immusym and MSM helps him.

This same combo helps my mare, who coughs in the spring due to pollen allergies.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com