The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Ekkehard Brysch’s Newsletter 0404

Just received the Oldenburg North America 2005 Stallion Service Auction data which contains Mr. Brysch’s Newsletter 04-04. (should mention there are some excellent deals for breeders in that auction…

As always, Mr. Brysch’s editorial caught my eye. He writes of the need for a “marketing concept” in the US. “Marketing” references something much broader than just “selling.” Rather, marketing encompasses the entire breeding business as a whole, from the customer perspective. Brysch says that successful sales can only be achieved by identifying, anticipating and satisfying customer needs and desires.

I particularly note the need for accurate terminology to describe our horses, so that customers can rely on what we are advertising. For example, a horse advertised as “16.3 h and trained up to third level” should not in fact be 16.1h and barely going training level. People’s time is valuable and clients must be able to trust that the advertisement for the horse is accurate... otherwise the seller is wasting everyone’s time, including his own.

Another point Brysch mentions is the benefit to all breeders from having a reliable information network to share data about available horses -a data base referencing all our breed organizations. I think this is an excellent idea. Heck, we are often asked if we know of a horse with a specific level of training/ experience (in a particular price range) sometimes even of a particular breed or registry affiliation, and it is often difficult to come up with referrals.

Thoughts on Ekkehard Brysch’s Newsletter 0404

Just received the Oldenburg North America 2005 Stallion Service Auction data which contains Mr. Brysch’s Newsletter 04-04. (should mention there are some excellent deals for breeders in that auction…

As always, Mr. Brysch’s editorial caught my eye. He writes of the need for a “marketing concept” in the US. “Marketing” references something much broader than just “selling.” Rather, marketing encompasses the entire breeding business as a whole, from the customer perspective. Brysch says that successful sales can only be achieved by identifying, anticipating and satisfying customer needs and desires.

I particularly note the need for accurate terminology to describe our horses, so that customers can rely on what we are advertising. For example, a horse advertised as “16.3 h and trained up to third level” should not in fact be 16.1h and barely going training level. People’s time is valuable and clients must be able to trust that the advertisement for the horse is accurate... otherwise the seller is wasting everyone’s time, including his own.

Another point Brysch mentions is the benefit to all breeders from having a reliable information network to share data about available horses -a data base referencing all our breed organizations. I think this is an excellent idea. Heck, we are often asked if we know of a horse with a specific level of training/ experience (in a particular price range) sometimes even of a particular breed or registry affiliation, and it is often difficult to come up with referrals.

Guess Ekkehard's been browsing all the threads here addressing these issues... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Sounds like Ekkehard has done a 180. He spearheaded the ISR/OLD NA buying trips to Germany many years ago... and heavily promoted German stallions. Glad he's now committing to supporting the American market rather than just going after American $$$. Marketing is his specialty so if he has some ideas I'm sure they'll be good ones. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

An organization with a good marketing plan and support for breeders would make it worthwhile for us to present Welt Marke for their approval!
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by amble molly:
    Guess Ekkehard's been browsing all the threads here addressing these issues... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL. Toooo funny.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

He had the same things to say during an educational session with Scott Hassler at the USDF convention. The two of them spoke about finding the missing link in our system and forming a marketing plan that works for us, not necessarily adopting the one that works for Europe. I've always found these two men to be very informative and articulate.
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Ashemont posted:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sounds like Ekkehard has done a 180. He spearheaded the ISR/OLD NA buying trips to Germany many years ago... and heavily promoted German stallions.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't ever remember Ekkehard organizing "buying trips" to Germany~~~~~~~~what years are you refering to please? It seems to me that he has always promoted stallions standing in NA and buying horses here. I'm quite surprized at your comment. Please elaborate.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

At our very first Keuring... hmmmm, back in '89? '90? And even before that when we were at the stallion licensing in Germany in the 80's Ekkehard was talking about organizing buying trips to Germany. And they ran them for a number of years.

Check your old ISR/OLD NA newsletters. The buying trips were advertised there. As a matter of fact, I believe there were even a number of threads on this BB from people who went on the trips. Don't you remember the stories of how shocked they were at the conditions at some of the farms?

At our very frist Keuring Ekkehard and Roland were both trying to get us to breed our imported State Premium mare to Donnerhall. And every year Ekkehard was at one of our Keurings he was pushing one German stallion or another.... sometimes several. And ALWAYS telling breeders about their annual buying trip... which later was referred to as an educational trip.

It was no secret so I don't understand why you are surprised by my comment, Bernie. I'm just very happy that he is putting his weight behind our American product now http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Ironicly,one of the reasons I am leaning away from ISR lately is how they now discourage
    use of german stallions and make you pay a huge addditional fee. Thier explanation: helping US stallion owners. I would prefer to help the breed as a whole...letting the breeder pick what they feel is the best stallion for the mare.
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Ashemont, I have been on a trip (1996) to Germany with Ekkehard and Karsten and they "were not buying trips in any way". I was one of the ones who has written about the shocking conditions for foals in Germany!! Before the split I know that Roland was pushing buying horses from Germnay and I think that was one of the problems with the registry. The ISR/OLDNA IS for the NA breeders. They are not lining their pockets with personal sales, and really promote keeping the breeding and buying and sales money in NA.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ironicly,one of the reasons I am leaning away from ISR lately is how they now discourage
    use of german stallions and make you pay a huge addditional fee. Thier explanation: helping US stallion owners. I would prefer to help the breed as a whole...letting the breeder pick what they feel is the best stallion for the mare.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are one of the Oldenburg North America breeders who has had to pay extra to use the German tested and approved Stallions (e.g. superb quality stallions like Feinbrand, Lord Sinclair and Sandro Hit). Without question there are two sides to this issue.

I frankly don’t like paying an extra $300 (over and above other registry fees) to bring offspring of the great stallions mentioned above to the registry. I almost feel like they should be paying us to bring in these bloodlines.

But, if I look at this from the other perspective, Oldenburg North America is trying very hard to protect and promote American breeders and the products of American breeders. They can not please everyone at all times. And, though their policy costs me extra bucks, I respect that their priority is clearly supporting American Breeders, which in the long run is a "good thing.”

As for registry’s conducting sales tours… I agree with Pat that this kind of conduct is offensive. There is a line between educational tours, which inform American breeders, and blatantly pimping the products of other countries. And, I think that in 2004 Oldenburg North America is on the right side of that line.

Bernie,

Don't want to hijack this thread but please take off the rose-colored glasses. Roland made mistakes - lots of them - and he is paying the price. But some of the things Ekkehard did are equally reprehensible. So let's not point fingers.

I know from personal experience that Ekkehard HAS pushed German horses and German stallions in the past. He seems to now be promoting the North American horses and stallions and I see that as a big plus for American breeders. Ekkehard is to be congratulated for changing course and he gives me a reason to re-look at ISR/Old NA in a positive way.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Pat,
    This is the season of peace and joy so lets all celebrate the season!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Well Pat - your opinion is clear.

I went on one of the trips to Germany and they were NOT buying trips - in fact people wanting to buy horses had to make additional arrangements outside of our schedule and NOT affect our schedule to visit farms, Verbands and stallion shows. I know one person bought a horse at the Verden Auction but I believe that was a case of "auction fever".

Anyway - I was just in Germany for a week and actually I think the entire sporthorse sales world will be in need of some adjusting on both sides of the pond. Breeders here know what they have to do to pull together and market more efficiently and get their horses trained. Being the "underdog" I'm very confident we've got the backbone and energy to get the job done.

What will be interesting to see is if the other side of the pond gets into the concept of FLEXIBILITY in marketing and sales. With the $$/Euro at a 1/1.34 - well breeders in Europe had better get creative or flexible or BOTH - or they will have wall to wall horses in a year! Oh I'm sure there are people who have the financial ability to pay a 34% mark up dictated by the exchange rate and nothing else - but most buyers CANNOT.

The world market will put pressure on both sides to sharpen their pencils - I'm betting the U.S. breeders can be a bit sharper at this game because we are used to it in all phases of our lives.

BTW - Merry Christmas everyone - had a nice early Christmas gift - sold two horses this month!!
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I hardly think posting a firsthand conversation is an 'opinion' but as long as what I'm saying is clear I'll settle for that. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

I, too, think we can really do a better marketing job but we need to pull together... and that's something that sadly just hasn't happened in the horse world. But I think we're beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

The regional groups springing up around the country are a great step in the right direction. The lead ISR/OLD NA is taking by charging a premium for breeding to non-NA stallions is another positive step for our market. It will be interesting to see if other associations follow suit.

I don't think the RPSI can do anything in this regard because of their structure - being ONE registry rather than having the US portion as an offshoot or sister registry. However there should be nothing stoppping the other NA arms of the German registries from doing their part to promote NA horses/stallions.

Any other ideas for boosting the NA market besides a surcharge for non-NA stallions? And what's with the fees for these breeders groups? Our NCWB has been operating successfully for over a year without any dues; we just split the actual costs amongst the membership.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Well, it certainly makes sense that someone was "pushing" buying German stallion 15 years ago. I mean, how many American stallions were there at that time?

But times have changed...so it seems OldNA has changed with them.

The ISR/OLDNA does not charge a "premium" for using frozen semen from Europe - it charges the same fee a Stallion owner has to pay here to activate their stallion. That's parody IMHO. The agents who make the "middle man" money on the frozen could pay to have certain stallions inspected and approved - then there wouldn't be an individual fee for the mare owners to pay.

ILona, the foreign stallion fee is paid for EACH breeding by that stallion. I paid $600 to breed 2 mares to Sandro Hit. Are you saying all the stallion owners pay to activate their stallions for a year is $300????

----------------------------------------------
    "The lead ISR/OLD NA is taking by charging a premium for breeding to non-NA stallions is another positive step for our market. It will be interesting to see if other associations follow suit."
    ------------------------------------------------

No Pat - this just sends people like me to other registries. In 2005 I have foals that will be registered with the AHS, AHHA, and SWANA.

Ilona - that exorbitant fee is due PER foal BEFORE it even hits the ground (December). No other registry charges fees that high and on that "schedule".

BTW - the costs of having a stallion inspected is much more than three hundred dollars. When a stallion has only one registered foal (in the Old/NA reg) it doesn't make sense to have those stallions inspected (unless I just wanted to give the ISR more money http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif).

Oh come on Laurie - let's be fair here - the ISR/OLDNA is a U.S. registry and pardon me - but it's my opinion - we should SUPPORT THE PEOPLE MEMBERS who have stallions approved HERE! I think we would all find this a different kettle of fish if we'd paid the dough to either breed or buy a stallion, have them approved, tested, etc. etc. I think you all should lean on these "middle men" who make a nice living off of bringing in frozen semen. Yes it's nice to have the bloodlines from Europe through frozen but THOSE stallion owners should consider picking up some of the expense for all of you mare owners who use the frozen semen.

People who breed have CHOICES - isn't that great? They can choose registries, mares, stallions, etc. etc. Can't people just support their choices without BASHING those they don't choose. I'm sure we could all find something we really don't like about just about every registry out there.

This is one of those rather petty little points that drives a wedge into OUR breeding community here and makes the exporters in Europe smile like Cheshire cats! You keep saying the frozen is from the ELITE of the stallion community in Europe. Well looking at the cost of the straws and the cost the ISR/OLDNA charges per breeding - that's still WAY BELOW THE AVERAGE for the stallions HERE!....WITH FRESH!!! And those stallions may or may not be the Elite here or there! Comparing apples and oranges only makes fruit salad!!