The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which trailer do you prefer

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jamco

7 43.75%
  • Equispirit

7 43.75%
  • Other

2 12.50%

Default Jamco vs equispirit- give me the nitty gritty details!

Hey guys,

So we're looking at trailers for a 2 horse gooseneck with a side ramp and tack room and we've narrowed it down to Jamco and Equispirit. Price aside, I want to know about your personal experiences with either or both trailers and the safety standards between the two, which is more comfortable for the horse during long travels, etc.

Thanks!
    "Do you care, or don’t you care? Because if you do care, you better speak up now or take what you get."
    — Denny Emerson www.savethe3day.org
    **proud member of the trakehNERD group**

I answered Equispirit because I LOVE mine. I have a 2H GN - no side ramp. It's sturdy, well built and it handles very well. I also love my rear door configuration as I have one horse that sits on the back door and I think the double door/ramp combo is safer than a single ramp. I could go on and on about how great my trailer is. I've trailered in a Jamco 2+1 on a few occasions and it was nice to work with as well. The one thing I did not like about the Jamco was that the side ramp was very steep.

I think choosing between the two comes down to if you want an aluminum frame or a steel frame. Jamco is aluminum I think. I chose steel because I personally feel it is safer for the frame. You will get all kinds of opinions on this. And because Jamco is a more well-known brand I bet you will find more people with those trailers which may skew your results. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Love my jamco - 10 years old and still in excellent condition

If price is no option, go with Jamco. Workmanship is handsdown some of the best - not one weld on my trailer is less than perfect. The construction (hollow beams) is unlike any other trailer and provides sound and temperature insulation for the horses. The floor supports are twice as close together as other trailers (9" not 18").

Equispirit makes very good trailers, but not as good as Jamco.

Mine is 10 years old and looks nearly new.