The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sad news about Atlanta's Runaway Zebra

Sad news about the Zebra that was running down the highway in downtown Atlanta...

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/zebr...ss_news_128746

Atlanta Runaway Zebra Euthanized

Atlanta Zebra Photos

Posted: 4:20 pm EST March 11,2010
    Updated: 4:27 pm EST March 11,2010
    ATLANTA -- Lima, a 12-year-old circus zebra that caused a stir when he escaped from an animal compound and ran through downtown Atlanta last month has been euthanized.

A statement posted on Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey's Web site explains veterinarians were unable to repair the animal's hooves, which were damaged when he ran through the city.

Lima led his trainers and police on a 40-minute chase through downtown Feb. 19. Police eventually helped capture the animal on an interstate.

Ringling Bros. says it has worked with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to review policies and ensure no other animals flee.

._,_.___

Sad news, but I hate to say it, the zebra might be better off now that he isn't in the circus anymore....

Ouch. Poor zebra. But then I wouldn't want to work around one that was in pain. (Fun fact: Zebras hurt and kill more keepers and vets than any other zoo animal. They kick. Hard.)

I fall into the categorythat wild animals should not be used in circuses.

That is a shame about the zebra. I'm curious Danceronice where your fun fact came from about zebra injuries and deaths to zookeepers as I was a zookeeper myself for 7 years and never heard of such a thing. Now elephants are a whole other ball of wax!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

"Road founder" no doubt! Too bad! Circus animals are handled far more than a zoo animal. I have worked with zebras & zorses. They are awkward 7 stubborn -- very much like a donkey.

I am all for Zebras in the circus - those little cusses need a JOB! Lions & elephants - not so much.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by MadeYaLook View Post
    That is a shame about the zebra. I'm curious Danceronice where your fun fact came from about zebra injuries and deaths to zookeepers as I was a zookeeper myself for 7 years and never heard of such a thing. Now elephants are a whole other ball of wax!
    Same here, my brother is currently a keeper at Busch Gardens and has no idea where this statistic comes from.

Elephants yes, Cape Baffalo yes, zebras???
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Oh, that's too bad. I'm sure it got the best care available. I would never lump Ringling Bros. into the general 'circus' category - they take AMAZING care of their animals. They're turned out for half the year in a giant facility they maintain in Florida.

Did anyone have the privilege of seeing big cat trainer Gunther Gebel-Williams when he was still alive? That man had an incredible bond with the cats. He'd sling them around his shoulders and they'd just lick his ears.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Poor thing. Must have foundered badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    ...Did anyone have the privilege of seeing big cat trainer Gunther Gebel-Williams when he was still alive?
    He and the Liberty Horses were the reasons we'd drive 200 miles every year to catch the show.

Remember this ad?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Yes! I do! He was the greatest.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

That does look like a happy cat. My siamese gives me the same look. I'm glad she is small though, since she finds it funny to bite me. Diva cat... :-p

Just have to say Ringling Bros seemed very responsible for their animals when I went to visit. I had 2 fjords for sale that they wanted to purchase to do some liberty and driving with for their shows as they had to retire one of theirs for ringbone. The trainer came out and looked at them and while they were arranging the vetting they invited me up to check out their operation since they were just about 45 minutes away. The facilities the horses/zebras were in were just like any other temperary stabling 12x12 stalls bedded in straw with free access hay and water. I watched them excersize the horses and they actually would clear the tent and turn them out in there on their day off to spend a couple hours. Can't say as though I was thrilled with the lion/tiger/elephant accomodations but those are animals that are used to a much larger area to roam. But everything looked well cared for and happy. They do also have a huge 200 acre place in FL as someone else said as well as an elephant reserve in Africa (I had to arrange the vetting around elephants being flown down). Their vet thought he saw something on one of my guys x-rays so they didn't buy them, but when they were in purchase mode I was actually granted a standing invitation to visit at any time.

My farrier also cares for the feet of the Ringling Bros animals. We were talking about hooves, since I have a mule who has amazing feet that rarely need trims. He compared my mules hooves to those of zebras who he said he really only trims about once a year because they have such great hooves.

I will call him and ask him about the kicking thing though!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    My farrier also cares for the feet of the Ringling Bros animals. We were talking about hooves, since I have a mule who has amazing feet that rarely need trims. He compared my mules hooves to those of zebras who he said he really only trims about once a year because they have such great hooves.

I will call him and ask him about the kicking thing though!
    You know what it was a farrier on the peninsula that referred Ringling to me because he was their farrier and happened to see my ad. I wonder if your farrier is the guy that contacted me originally? Small world!

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    You know what it was a farrier on the peninsula that referred Ringling to me because he was their farrier and happened to see my ad. I wonder if your farrier is the guy that contacted me originally? Small world!
    I'm sure it's the same guy! He's a really nice guy and a fabulous farrier.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg