The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to expect to pay for....

My trainer recently called about a horse for me and I'm just trying to figure out what I should be expecting to pay for him. Obviously we will find the exact price when the seller calls my trainer back but I'm just trying to get an estimate from all of you here Horse is a 4 coming 5 year old 16.3 hand WB. Very level headed and quiet but still green. The horse has never shown before but is a great mover and a good jumper. Apparently the seller has had him for sale for 6+ months with no luck. Horse is located in Florida (Ocala area).

I'm still going back and forth whether I want to a fancier greenie or a less fancy horse with more experience. Such a tough decision!!!

It's hard to guess without more info on what he's siblings sold for and what his pedigree has accomplished. But if the horse has been for sale for over 6 months, I say whatever the price is, counter-offer with a lower price.

If this is your first horse, I would go with the less fancy horse with more experience. If not, go with the fancier greenie. Just my opinion though.

It's impossible to guess without knowing what type of a place the horse is at (a horse with a BNT will often cost a lot more than one coming from a small time breeder, for example), what type of training he's had, his pedigree/breed, how fancy he is, what sort of potential he appears to have, etc.

With the information above it's impossible to narrow it down more than saying somewhere between $2500 and $75,000.

Is there a chance the horse is up on dreamhorse or warmbloods-for-sale.com or one of the other sales sites? Perhaps you could search for him and find the price that way before you hear from the owner???

Below is my dark humor(please do not take offense).

When I get my crystal ball back from the magic repair shop I will tell you.

You will have to wait in suspence until that call comes back with the asking price. Good luck.
    You know, everybody thinks we found
    this broken-down horse and fixed him,
    but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Make your best offer if it is the right horse. With Ocala almost over the buying season is slowing down and they won't want to wait for the next big buying cycle so offer a fair price that you can afford. Remember asking price and selling price are two different things.