The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DIY stall grills?

I'm just debatingwith myself right now whether I want to add grills to the stalls instead of leave them open. Eventually they'd need to be anyway because of the configuration, but at this immediate time it's just more for my own peace of mind. I can't remember who it was, Jswan maybe? (you out there!?!), but has anyone painted their own stall grills? Well, I'll be making them from scratch and want them black. Yes... I'm THAT person and all of my hardware out there is black so the stall bars need to be too. We'll just be making wooden "holders"- don't know what you'd call it- with holes drilled in them for the bars to set into. Can you just Rustoleum the conduit pipe you use? If you have a particularly obnoxious-elderly-copd-grumpy-horse-who-thinks-his-stall-is-his-to-destroy will these endure any differently than purchased black grills? I thought at least if it was just Rustoleum you could repaint as needed.

...eta and maybe conduit's not the right word I'm looking for. I know it can be really thin so just steel bars of some sort. Where do you even get those?

Use the heavier grade conduit if you do that. I bought some used grill work, had them sandblasted and powder coated, black of course!!

http://www.sixpoundfarm.com/PB262196copySmall.jpg

Years back at our old farm, we did our own with PVC pipe over rebar. We painted the PVC black, using Kentucky fence paint and it held up nicely to some obnoxious colts who could be pretty destructive. Our mature horses never bothered it at all.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Thanks! Gorgeous 6lb!

I have heavy conduit, and it works great. Pretty sure you could easily paint them black. Made my blanket racks with it too, just attached them to wooden blocks with the conduit bracket things. (Can't think what they're called, sorry... they're just a u shaped bracket with screw holes on either side.)
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Yep, really not that difficult Heavy duty conduit. Use a boring bit to drill appropriately sized holes all the way through a 2x4. Screw that 2x4 to another one, and that becomes the base of the grill. The top is the same, just upside down. And additional 2x4 on each end finishes out the frame, and then you screw all that into your stall "window".

I think you can see well enough here what I mean

Thanks. We've made the bar grills for the stall windows in the past so I'm pretty sure we can manage to physically do it (famous last words around here ) but do you think Rustoleum specifically would do it? Or what about something like a car paint/enamel?

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Thanks. We've made the bar grills for the stall windows in the past so I'm pretty sure we can manage to physically do it (famous last words around here ) but do you think Rustoleum specifically would do it? Or what about something like a car paint/enamel?
    Car paint will cost you approximately a billion dollars.

You could, however, seek out some "rim" or "wheel" paint at your local autozone. It'll be under $10 a can. It's designed to hold up against all the rocks/water/etc that it comes up against driving down the road, so some horse teeth shouldn't faze it too badly.

Otherwise, Rustoleum will be just fine. Remember to put a good primer base down, no matter what you use.

I made mine with rebar. I planned to paint regular rebar black initially, but then I discovered 3' sections of galvanized rebar at a local hardware store and never looked back. I quite like the lovely brushed silver look that it has - matches all the door hardware in the house! I designed and built the stalls all by myself almost three years ago. Took apart and rebuilt the first door a couple times to make it actually work with the top part opening and closing - an engineer I am not.

Hopefully this link works. This was the horse's first night in their new stalls, not that you can see them in there...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=684225775