The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinline saddle pads...over half pads? And more

So the thinline pad "worth the money" thread got me set on buying one. The horse I ride is very tense and stiff through his back, short strided and has trouble reaching down and stretching his back to the bit (we're currently working with a dressage trainer to get him less tense...its a slooowww process, he's a problem child ). My saddle fits him, but not perfectly, and since I don't own this horse I really cannot spend the money to get the saddle fitted to him, especially because he's for sale and can leave at any day. But since I do ride him 4-6 days a week, so I want to make sure he's comfortable...and a thinline pad I can use on any horse I sit on.
    I plan on buying a regular, not ultra, thinline pad for him.
    I ride in a baby pad with half pad over it. Can I use the TL over the half pad, or should I dig for my normal square pads and use the TL on top of that sans half pad? I can't afford the extra $$ for the skeepskin comfort TL, although that would be ideal.
    Also, my saddle is a 17.5 Circuit XC so it has super forward flaps. The website says the regular TL half pads fit most saddles up to 17"...I'm assuming I should get the contour pad? I'm just afraid that it'll show too much under my saddle, as I do plan on showing in it. Anyone have any experience (pictures?) of the contour pad in use under a saddle?
    thanks!!

I show in a thinline pad under my saddle but over my standard no-frills contoured fleece pad. The thinline is white. I'll try to find a picture, but you can't see it at all, so the picture probably woudln't help you very much!!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    I show in a thinline pad under my saddle but over my standard no-frills contoured fleece pad. The thinline is white. I'll try to find a picture, but you can't see it at all, so the picture probably woudln't help you very much!!

I thought the ultra-thinline was white, and the regular was black?

Either way to the OP: you can get the contour pad, then cut whatever sticks out weirdly. That is what I had to do.

I have a TC, and with one horse, I need to use the TC pad, but am trying to figure out if I can use the TC pad along with the thinline, on top? on bottom?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    I thought the ultra-thinline was white, and the regular was black?

Either way to the OP: you can get the contour pad, then cut whatever sticks out weirdly. That is what I had to do.

I have a TC, and with one horse, I need to use the TC pad, but am trying to figure out if I can use the TC pad along with the thinline, on top? on bottom?
    You are correct! I have the ultra thinline, which is white.

However, I am almost POSITIVE that another lady at my barn has a thicker thinline that is white. Are you sure that you can't ger a regular thinline in white?
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I would go (from bottom to top):

-Saddle

-Half pad

-Thinline

-Saddlepad or baby pad

*Horse's back*

I have a Thinline contour (white) and it fits my 17.5" dressage saddle (that has generous, padded gussets) just fine. I have a Mattes pad with shims that I plan on using over the ThinLine once I get my jumping saddle back. I think the effect of the ThinLine will be lost if you try and place it between your saddle and too much "padding".
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

However, I am almost POSITIVE that another lady at my barn has a thicker thinline that is white. Are you sure that you can't ger a regular thinline in white?

Ohhhhh, that would be nice! I have no idea though, but now that you mention it, it seems like maybe I heard that at some point, that they had come out with a regular white thinline?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by WW_Queen View Post
    I would go (from bottom to top):

-Saddle

-Half pad

-Thinline

-Saddlepad or baby pad

*Horse's back*
    This is how I do it on my pony. If you put the thinline on top of the Half pad it is really hard to get everything to lie as neatly as it should.

Excellent, thanks everyone!
    now the question...where to get the cheapest?! EBay doesn't have many...I think only one regular contour but it's listed as "white or black" which makes me nervous cause I definitely don't want black!!
    Anyone have links to cheap ones in online tack stores? Thanks!

I don't kow if it's necessarily the cheapest place to find them, but I got mine from SmartPak, and you can get both the regular and ultra in black or white from them.
    RIP Owen 2/2/07

Laguna <3

I use the comfort for everyday, which puts the thinline part between the fleece & the saddle. I do use a regular square pad underneath to keep it clean. When I show, it is the regular shaped fleece, then the TL (not ultra, in white), then the saddle. I figure it gives a similar feeling to my comfort pad.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Does your saddle fit w/o the half pad? I think that's something to consider because if you need the half pad to take up room, then you'll have to get creative with adding a TL. If you're using the half pad for looks and not function and your saddle fits without it, why not skip the half pad and just go saddle pad, TL, saddle?

FWIW, I absolutely swear by my TL. I have the newer ultra b/c I was able to pick up a demo for a steal and an ancient (think 10+ year old original). I've tried several times to ride w/o the TL and every ride horsey is stiff, high-headed, and short-strided (saddle fit is fine and I ride "lightly" in the tack even though I'm fluffy). With the TL, horsey is happy, stretchy, and ready-to-work.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree with Jen. You may want to consider using the thinline over a regular square pad unless your saddle has quite a bit of clearance on this particular horse. You may find that adding another layer (the thinline plus the half pad) between you and the horse is too much.

I use my thinline pad over a plain square pad normally; it goes between my saddle and a regular fitted pad for showing. Works great.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

The regular Thinline pad was originally available in black only. A couple of years ago they began selling white ones also.

According to a conversation I had with Thinline, they are meant to be cut with a utility knife, if you want to make sure the pad is not visible in the showring.

I would eliminate the half pad and put the thinline pad between your saddle and a white square pad as Lucassb suggested.