The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neigh-Lox or ???

I am almost finished with my vet prescribed treatment of ulcers and am on the search for an everyday type of treatment to prevent ulcers from coming back. I am planning to use a dose of Ulcerguard the day of horse shows (usually just one day).

My vet recommended using Neigh-Lox as she had great results using it while she was doing endurance riding.

I've looked into a few other products (U-Free, SmartGut, SmartDigest Ultra), but because of the chamomile and/or licorice am not going to use those. USEF requires a 7 day withdrawal for products containing those ingredients.

Any other proven suggestions?

Default Try TractGard

Quote Originally Posted by suniday View Post
    I am almost finished with my vet prescribed treatment of ulcers and am on the search for an everyday type of treatment to prevent ulcers from coming back. I am planning to use a dose of Ulcerguard the day of horse shows (usually just one day).

My vet recommended using Neigh-Lox as she had great results using it while she was doing endurance riding.

I've looked into a few other products (U-Free, SmartGut, SmartDigest Ultra), but because of the chamomile and/or licorice am not going to use those. USEF requires a 7 day withdrawal for products containing those ingredients.

Any other proven suggestions?

Try TractGard, if you call Foxden Equine on 540-337-5450 they will send you a free sample to try and see if it does what you want before you buy.

TG won't test and will help your horse be more comfortable in his GI tract. I use it on all of mine.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I love and highly recommend U-Gard from the makers of Corta-Flx. No licorice either.

Ditto the U Gard.

I got in a skinny, ulcery, prone to colic mare last year. After treating her ulcers with omeprazole, we put her on the U Gard.

She's now a happy fat horsey that (knock on wood) hasn't coliced in several months.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I've been using Neigh-Lox for 10 years with excellent results.

I can also vouch for U-guard. I am about to run out. I am thinking of trying mare without it....but I better not. She is perfect now. I hate to have her feel yucky again.

I love the U-guard.

Thanks for the help!

I think I will try the U-Gard first.

I am a hair gun-shy of the Foxden products for this horse. He came to me on Quiessence and after about 4 months quit eating it cold turkey. Would eat his feed as long as it didn't contain the Quiessence. I have tried him back on it a couple of times, but he says NO WAY to the feed with Quiessence.

I have used and liked both Neigh Lox and U-Gard but I prefer products that do more than just buffer. I have used Tractguard for a few years and been VERY happy with it. I can't imagine a horse having an issue eating it (I feed it to A LOT of horses). It is a pretty small amount and in pellet form. It doesn't even have a smell, as far as I can tell.

I AM trying the SmartDigest Ultra on my horse. He JUST started it last week (and has been on Tractguard for a couple of years), so it is too soon to give it any sort of review. Supposedly, it is comparable to Succeed (which I have another horse on)...we shall see.

I do like Uckele's G.U.T but I don't take the horse that is on that to any shows where they'd test him. That product has ingredients that would test positive.

My second choice would be U-guard. It's also easier on the wallet than Neigh-Lox. Worth a shot.

FWIW, my ulcer horse does much better on U-gard than he did on Tractgard, his belly is definitely happier!

My horse has done fabulously on U-gard. She has maintained her weight and pleasant attitude, and it is legal to show on. I had her on SmartGut right after the gastrogard treatment, and while I was pleased with the results it worried me to have to take her off of it for a week before a show- when she would most likely be stressing. Switched to U-gard and have been very pleased. I have found that she does best on 1 1/2 scoops a day, and it is so easy to feed in my smartpak!

I like Peptic Ease from U.S. Animal of Vermont.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

I've had the best luck with aloe vera juice, honestly. I had him on SmartGut, G.U.T. and another brand that I've forgotten the name of suddenly, but the best results have been from the aloe vera juice. He has been significantly more laid back and content with it than with the other products. He gets 1/2 cup A.M. and P.M. Cost me about $15 a month I think (two big bottles from Wal-Mart).

I used Neigh-lox as a supplement for my gelding after we treated his ulcers and I couldn't have been happier - worked great!

We are currently using U-Gard with great results. Another option is Finish Line's product, U-7, which we also had success with. It's a nutritional supplement and not just a buffer, although I don't know whether it contains elements that test or not. I don't believe it does, but I can't say so with absolute certainty. We also add probios, prebios, and digestive enzymes to the feed. All of that comes with the multivitamin/mineral that we use, but I know that it can be purchased separately and it's not that expensive. All of the above we just buy at our local feed store.

www.foxdalefarm.us

Quote Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
    I've had the best luck with aloe vera juice, honestly. I had him on SmartGut, G.U.T. and another brand that I've forgotten the name of suddenly, but the best results have been from the aloe vera juice. He has been significantly more laid back and content with it than with the other products. He gets 1/2 cup A.M. and P.M. Cost me about $15 a month I think (two big bottles from Wal-Mart).
    I am hoping to try the aloe juice. I mixed in a 1 cup in my horses PM grain last night and he turned up his nose Anyone else have this issue?

No - my horses love it. Use less for a while. Because it is inexpensive I do use it, but do not know of any trials that prove it helps - just word of mouth.

We are finishing up our second month of Gastrogard (step down dose), and he was just rescoped today. NO ulcers!!! I am going to do 1/4 dose of either Gastro or Ulcerguard every day for one more month - he is going to start showing lightly in April - and continue when his training is ramped up or we are showing more regularly. Months that are lighter, we will back off the dosage. Not thrilled about the cost, but our vet is not a fan of most of the supplements available because it is "hit or miss", depending on the horse. If he is going to have ulcers a second time, it's not going to be because I tried to go a cheaper maintenance route. Getting him well has been too difficult.