The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2008
    Location
    At the office
    Posts
    711

    Default Horse meat served in CA

    The point of the article was that they were serving whale meat illegally, but they also served horse meat.

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/11/...rge/index.html
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,953

    Default

    Rather ironic about the horse meat, since CA is one of the states that has actually banned it for human consumption. Just goes to show you can get pretty much anything you want as long as you're willing to pay for it and not question from where it's coming, ban or not.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2007
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    The point of the article was that they were serving whale meat illegally, but they also served horse meat.

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/11/...rge/index.html
    Gee the sky falls for you every day doesn't it? That is so very sad.

    What is sadder still is that no one in the article seems upset at all that a unendangered species aka horse was also what was for dinner. *tsk*
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,945

    Default

    Has it always been illegal to serve horse meat for human consumption? I was always told that our hamburgers at elementary school (during the 1960s) were made from horsemeat and that's why they had that sweet taste. I've tried doing a little research to see if this was actually true but I'm not the googler that some of you are.

    Anyway, it wasn't bad at all. An acquired taste, because it did have an odd, sweet tang, but I can remember developing a liking for it. If it actually was horsemeat. Hey, why would cafeteria ladies lie?

    Not all whale species are endangered, BTW. Bottlenose dolphins, for example, in the Atlantic are not. We have so many in our estuaries that sometimes you practically have to kick 'em out of the way to launch a johnboat. (OK not really. But almost!) But I cannot imagine eating them. I've attended marine mammal necropsies and the meat is a dark purple with a really strong smell. I wouldn't want to know what they taste like.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2004
    Location
    Rolling hills of Virginny
    Posts
    5,953

    Default

    Pain't, in the majority of US states it's still legal to have your own horse slaughtered for private consumption. You can give away the meat, but can't sell it. It used to be legal to sell and consume it. In CA, they've made it illegal to even eat it privately. Which is what makes it so deliciously ironic that in CA of all places there's a restaurant serving horse meat.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,323

    Default

    I've eaten pickled bowhead whale blubber and skin. It's not bad, if you like fat. (Well, the blubber part. The skin's a bit like chewing on your cuticle.) Someone at SI brought it back from a field research trip so we all had to try it.

    I'd try horsemeat if I knew where it came from, but if it's been hanging out in 90-degree heat in an illegal butcher's yard or if it was slaughtered without a clearing period at a feedlot I'd be worried about what it had been dosed with. I don't have a problem with people eating horsemeat, I just generally have a problem not knowing where my meat came from.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Pain't, in the majority of US states it's still legal to have your own horse slaughtered for private consumption. You can give away the meat, but can't sell it. It used to be legal to sell and consume it.
    Well, maybe we really were being fed horsemeat at the elementary school, then.

    But Bram, Quanah and Houdini don't need to worry. I'm not so fond of horsemeat that I'd consider eating them!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,994

    Default

    There would be a lot less boohoo about it if horse people would be more like cattle folk.

    They breed it and eat it.
    (or like rabbit breeders, they don't only show their cute bunnies, but have competitions on recipes and fur use...)

    Yeah, it is illegal in California to eat horse, no matter how legal it was raised, killed and shipped. But legalizing pot is high up on the agenda...

    Availability of horse meet is not too long in the past, I remember seeing an 'All in the Family' episode were they had meat for dinner.

    And yes, I like to know where my meat comes from. Even though I do eat mostly 'lips and a**holse, AKA hot dogs and bologna...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Has it always been illegal to serve horse meat for human consumption? I was always told that our hamburgers at elementary school (during the 1960s) were made from horsemeat and that's why they had that sweet taste.
    I wouldn't imagine horsemeat being sweet tasting...I would imagine it to be tough and oily...
    however, I am not much of a meat eater myself, I do enjoy fresh fish when locally caught.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2008
    Location
    At the office
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Gee the sky falls for you every day doesn't it? That is so very sad.
    Good lord, get over yourself. Did I editorialize at all? No, I just posted a link to a story I thought people here would be interested in. Obviously, you care too, because you responded.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2005
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I wouldn't imagine horsemeat being sweet tasting...I would imagine it to be tough and oily...
    Not at all oily. In fact very low in fat and cholesterol.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2008
    Location
    At the office
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'd try horsemeat if I knew where it came from, but if it's been hanging out in 90-degree heat in an illegal butcher's yard or if it was slaughtered without a clearing period at a feedlot I'd be worried about what it had been dosed with. I don't have a problem with people eating horsemeat, I just generally have a problem not knowing where my meat came from.
    Yes, I wonder if the patrons would still try it if they knew that it could possibly have some nasty drugs in it, but I figure that the restaurant assumes that would dampen some of the customers' spirit of adventure, ha. I think the article mentions that someone was seen retrieving a package from a car in the parking lot. They just have to hope it was in an effective cooler, I guess.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2008
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Yeah, it is illegal in California to eat horse, no matter how legal it was raised, killed and shipped. But legalizing pot is high up on the agenda...
    Hey leave our potheads alone!

    Besides we need the money. Pot is already our number one cash crop , but it is illegal. I mean I don't get how you could grow an estimated 35 billion crop a year and still be illegal?

    Hmm once it is made legal, I wonder if big agriculture will move in and start growing pot-maybe genetically modified pot with some enhanced "qualities" will be grown ??



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    Hey leave our potheads alone!

    Besides we need the money. Pot is already our number one cash crop , but it is illegal. I mean I don't get how you could grow an estimated 35 billion crop a year and still be illegal?

    Hmm once it is made legal, I wonder if big agriculture will move in and start growing pot-maybe genetically modified pot with some enhanced "qualities" will be grown ??
    Then the US won't have to import hemp....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    Yes, I wonder if the patrons would still try it if they knew that it could possibly have some nasty drugs in it, but I figure that the restaurant assumes that would dampen some of the customers' spirit of adventure, ha. I think the article mentions that someone was seen retrieving a package from a car in the parking lot. They just have to hope it was in an effective cooler, I guess.
    Seriously. What next, black-market fugu? Except that could literally, instantly, kill someone....



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,994

    Default

    Patrons that don't care that they eat contraban meat, whale or horse are not likely to care where it came from.

    (and come on, you think the beef suply is all clean, you are dreaming)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2005
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    California would most likely be thrilled to have another source of "nasty drugs".



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,323

    Default

    There's not a whole lot in the beef supply that can make you instantly acutely sick if it's handled correctly. Or most meats. If they're exposed to air they're going to "test" for bacteria, but if they're handled properly it's not that dangerous. Most people don't get sick from contaminated food-we're not THAT sensitive (unless you're elderly, an infant, or have an immune deficiency.) Our guts can handle a lot of things. Most people get sick from BADLY HANDLED food. Not storing it properly, not cooking or preparing it correctly. Meat isn't even the most dangerous of all--because it's "healthy" and rarely cleaned well enough or cooked at all, sprouts get a lot of people VERY sick. Inadequately cleaned unpeeled potatoes, when cooked wrapped, have gobs of nasty stuff on the outside that loves a hot, anaerobic environment. Heck, store canned tomatoes in a metal can in the fridge instead of putting in a nonreactive container and you are going to get VIOLENTLY ill.

    Drugs? There's nothing that's going to kill you instantly, or is even likely to kill you faster than a whole lot of other causes. You're vastly more likely to get hit by a car or have a heart attack than die because your beef were treated with anitbiotics.

    Whale--if it's a fish-eating species, you have to worry about mercury content. Horses--who knows where it's been, how it's been handled, what is on that meat, and at a sushi restaurant it's entirely possible it's raw. I'll eat raw beef when I know how it's been kept and how long it's been out. Heck, there are restauarnts in Japan that serve raw CHICKEN, that amazingly don't have people dying. Meat passed out the window of a car? I'm gonna take a wild guess that's not been kept below 40 F. Possibly killed yerstday while still full of tranquilizers and painkillers? Who knows.

    And of course we all know what happens if you get badly-prepped fugu....



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,484

    Default

    Inadequately cleaned unpeeled potatoes, when cooked wrapped, have gobs of nasty stuff on the outside that loves a hot, anaerobic environment. Heck, store canned tomatoes in a metal can in the fridge instead of putting in a nonreactive container and you are going to get VIOLENTLY ill.
    Really? I would have thought that an oven would be hot enough to kill anything. And never knew that canned tomatos refridgerated in an open can do funky things.
    Good to know...not that I ever not wash a potato or swap opened tomatos into a tupperware, but still...yeesh!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    30,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    There's not a whole lot in the beef supply that can make you instantly acutely sick if it's handled correctly. Or most meats. If they're exposed to air they're going to "test" for bacteria, but if they're handled properly it's not that dangerous. Most people don't get sick from contaminated food-we're not THAT sensitive (unless you're elderly, an infant, or have an immune deficiency.) Our guts can handle a lot of things. Most people get sick from BADLY HANDLED food. Not storing it properly, not cooking or preparing it correctly. Meat isn't even the most dangerous of all--because it's "healthy" and rarely cleaned well enough or cooked at all, sprouts get a lot of people VERY sick. Inadequately cleaned unpeeled potatoes, when cooked wrapped, have gobs of nasty stuff on the outside that loves a hot, anaerobic environment. Heck, store canned tomatoes in a metal can in the fridge instead of putting in a nonreactive container and you are going to get VIOLENTLY ill.

    Drugs? There's nothing that's going to kill you instantly, or is even likely to kill you faster than a whole lot of other causes. You're vastly more likely to get hit by a car or have a heart attack than die because your beef were treated with anitbiotics.

    Whale--if it's a fish-eating species, you have to worry about mercury content. Horses--who knows where it's been, how it's been handled, what is on that meat, and at a sushi restaurant it's entirely possible it's raw. I'll eat raw beef when I know how it's been kept and how long it's been out. Heck, there are restauarnts in Japan that serve raw CHICKEN, that amazingly don't have people dying. Meat passed out the window of a car? I'm gonna take a wild guess that's not been kept below 40 F. Possibly killed yerstday while still full of tranquilizers and painkillers? Who knows.

    And of course we all know what happens if you get badly-prepped fugu....

    Correctly handled food...

    We have long forgotten e coli outbreaks from burgers...and no, the reason was not only the undercooked stuff...it started so much earlier

    And yeas, canned foods can do a serious nobel worthy act if not treated accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



Similar Threads

  1. Horse meat for lunch in Queens, NY?
    By LauraKY in forum Off Course
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: Oct. 5, 2012, 01:54 PM
  2. Horse meat market drying up?
    By tkhawk in forum Off Course
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr. 5, 2010, 01:17 PM
  3. So much for horse meat going abroad!
    By Kate66 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 21, 2010, 01:00 PM
  4. 2 Arrested for SELLING horse meat in FL ....
    By Against The Wind in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2009, 09:34 AM
  5. Donating your horse to a zoo for Tiger/Lion meat?
    By Horsecrazy27 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 223
    Last Post: Apr. 1, 2007, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •