The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

bella7 Guest

Default Horse keeps pulling off front bar shoes?

My horse has to wear front bar shoes she is happy and sound in them. The only problem is she keeps pulling them off at the trot.

She wears bell boots at all times but she still pulls them due to overreach from her hind feet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

bella7 Guest

Default Horse keeps pulling off front bar shoes?

My horse has to wear front bar shoes she is happy and sound in them. The only problem is she keeps pulling them off at the trot.

She wears bell boots at all times but she still pulls them due to overreach from her hind feet.

We do the hunters so you really can't use bell boots or grab boots in the show ring either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Have you had another farrier look at her? To me it sounds like she's trimmed wrong and is too slow in front hence the hinds are pulling the fronts off???
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Does she have shoes behind? Sounds like she needs her toe shortened a little behind so she breaks over sooner. Make sure you walk and trot her for your blacksmith.

Do your bellboots touch the ground? they should

Discuss this with your blacksmith and maybe the two of you can come up with a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

My horse used to pull shoes every shoeing cycle and he had intermitent lameness issues. Now we have a new farrier and he hasn't pulled a shoe yet, or had a lameness problem (knocking on wood).

A second opinion (your farrier doesn't have to know) might be in order. And I hate to say it, but very few working horses "need" bar shoes to stay sound, they usually need different farrier techniques. I have seen several horses that have bar shoes because they have lameness issue that switch to my current farrier, and they become sound in a normal shoe (he won't put bar shoes on a working horse because they are counterproductive in his opinion).

Just some food for thought... and be sure to find a certified journeysman farrier if you decide to get a second opinion

I've had a lot of luck with those Professional's Choice ballistic overreach boots or the felt Weaver bell boots to keep shoes on. Of course you can't wear them in the ring in the hunters, but you can warm up with them and then take them off at the in gate. Like someone else already said, then should be big enough to touch the ground.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

one answer:

DAVIS bell boots large or x large, you wont be sorry.

I don't have any specific experience with DAVIS bellboots, but make sure the bell boots are big (almost oversized) so that they touch the ground behind the heels and completely cover the shoes. I have a mare who does the same thing...without the bell boots she would pull a shoe weekly but with them, I've had no problems!

Hi bella7 ~

We've merged your two threads on this topic into one here in Horse Care, where it's the best fit, to avoid duplication.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Is the horse shod behind? Sometimes I've had horses that would pull shoes when shod only in front, but be better when shod behind. If shod all around, my farrier would make adjustments as best he could to keep them from overreaching.

When I've had bar shoes on horses for various reasons, they've always had to wear bell boots pretty much 24/7, so I've used the gummy pull-ons and made sure they were big enough to cover the heel. Doing hunters, the boots were on right up until horse was going in the ring, and then put right back on after the class.

I also had to be careful about things like turnout and footing -- mud or deep footing make it harder to keep shoes on, bar or not.

Maybe try aluminum bar shoes in the front.

A straight bar may offer less surface to step on then an egg bar.

Maybe roll the toes in front and/or square the toes behind.

Sometimes it's the rear shoes sliding forwards on the ground into the fronts, and not really an overreach issue. Switching to a rim shoe like eventers might offer better traction.

A second opinion from a different reputable farrier is generally a good idea... I'd think..
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

I had this problem on my old retired TB (who is now barefoot, YEAH!). We ended up pulling the bar shoes and replaced them with a regular shoe and a 1 or 2 degree wedge pad (can't recall which). YMMV, some people also hate pads, but it worked for him, and he had enough foot that we could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    I had this problem on my old retired TB (who is now barefoot, YEAH!). We ended up pulling the bar shoes and replaced them with a regular shoe and a 1 or 2 degree wedge pad (can't recall which). YMMV, some people also hate pads, but it worked for him, and he had enough foot that we could do that.
    Hard plastic pads can offer some heel support, and some protection for a sensitive heel, but they won't help reduce the tendon stress or create the stability that a bar shoe will.

It helps to know the cause of the pain/issue when making that choice.

I once knew a pony with mild navicular who did quite well in pads.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

bella7 in gray

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If she's shod behind, shorten the lever, extend the lateral heel and box the toe; if she's barefooted, tilt the solar plane slightly to medial and keep the toe as short as possible.
    Tom Stovall, CJF
    No me preguntes cualquier preguntas, yo te diré no mentiras.

The material in Davis bell boots is much stonger and does not collapse as easily if stepped on as the regular soft rubber bell boots. Regular bell boots tear very easily. I have never had a Davis bell boot tear. My mare did the same thing tearing off bar shoes, knock on wood it has been several years now since I switched and not 1 lost shoe. They need to be oversized and touch the ground.

bella7 Guest

Thank you so much everyone for your help! I am trying different bell boots and grab boots and that seems to be working so far!

Professional's Choice Quick-Wrap bellboots. Make sure the back is touching the ground, they are practically bullet -proof!